pAI Access of Secure Channels.

InValidFire

It sucks that when I play as a pAI, I cannot communicate in the same Comm channels as my owner. Perhaps we could make it so pAIs can access all the channels their masters can? and if the pAI device is not set a master, it can only access the Common Channel.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks!

While it could be possible to make an ID slot thing work the issue is that pAI's work as a bounced radio; and to make matters worse if they could access other channels even temporarily, that means stealing access or granting it pretty much allows any antag whom gets a pAI to access thsoe channels even if they never even bothered to loot a headset. 

While this could be fine for things like Medical, Engineering, Science, Supply and Service; allowing access to Command and Security would be horrid.

Why would the pAI listen to the antag, it's prime directive s to serve their master, and that is not their master. Since the pAI will only have access to the channels their master does, this wouldn't be a problem if an antag gets one. And if it's wiped, it also wipes the allowed comm channels. That's at least how I'd imagine it to work, while maintaining balance.

Or it could work like this: When pAI is bound to a master, allow a software to be downloaded that allows the master to configure the pAI radio much like anyone can configure a headset. Only allow this software to be used when the pAI is bound. This way, they still have to obtain the headset, and configure it properly.

Why not just allow pAIs to have headset keys installed into them like cyborgs? You can usually get Service borgs with access to the Command channel if you want, and Mining borgs with Science channel is common. Not sure how it would be coded, but I think having the ability to add a headset key be easier than assigning it available channels with a ID card (though that could have the interesting effect of giving them Syndicate Channel access with a Agent ID card). It also removes the problem of gaining access to channels without the headset, since you'd be able to listen to them anyways if you had a key.

This is what I was trying to say, kinda like headset modification, right? I know you can take they keys out of the headsets, so, that's what I was trying to get across, It doesn't seem overpowered, heck, it seems like it should've already been in the game. I wasn't aware you could modify Borgs with the keys though. That's pretty cool. (Don't really play as a Borg)

Borgs are even worse usually, since they use special radios, allowing you to listen to them like a intercomm if you are close. You can stand next to a Sec Borg for awhile if you want to know what Security is talking about for example. Not sure if pAIs do the same though. (Don't really play as a pAI)

Edited by Teyren

9 hours ago, Teyren said:

Borgs are even worse usually, since they use special radios, allowing you to listen to them like a intercomm if you are close. You can stand next to a Sec Borg for awhile if you want to know what Security is talking about for example. Not sure if pAIs do the same though. (Don't really play as a pAI)

As far as I know pAI radios are literally just in-built Station Bounced Radios. They can even turn on a microphone like SBR's to broadcast everything around them. so I imagine they DO work like that.
Given they are SBR's though, they only have the common channel, so... not much to listen in on however.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use