Papers Please, Improvements to customs for fun and profit

Mr.Smooooth

Recently in game, a bunch of suggestions were brainstormed to help improve customs. One of the admins put it best with(Paraphrased): "I love customs because it keeps bad players in arrivals, I hate customs because it keeps good players in arrivals" I coulden't agree more, trying to do the job right leads to long lines and alot of frustration from the officer, admins and players. So many people treat circumventing and griefing customs as acceptable because of this, and it is a situation that needs to improve. I've taken the time to post them here so they can be discussed. Hopefully one or more of these is used to help streamline the customs experience and help both customs officers and others have a smoother experience at the checkpoint.

1: Have two customs officers.

Customs manpower is extremely lacking. customs cannot count on security for regular support Sometimes they're there in force, other times nobody comes at all. By having two officials, one can man the checkpoint at all times while the other inspects arrivals for hidden doors, helps with detaining, distributes entry forms and keeps the grey tide in control.

2: Add a disposals chute that leads to the line.

By this I mean make a disposals pipe that dispenses any forms to anyone waiting outside the checkpoint. This allows the Customs Officer to run a small gimmick, and also prevents slowdown from this gimmick, as players are given the form to fill while they wait.

3: Modify the detainment cells so that prisoners can be ejected back on the outside of customs when their time is up.

A simple redesign of the two cells there can help customs by putting those detained outside automatically, after brig timers are up, all it needs is doors on the other side that can unbolt when the timer is up. Flashers can prevent grey tide from breaking though them.

Hello. I took part in the discussion and agree that modifications are always good for that. I remember that Wisewill even said that they (admin team / devs) are already working on it.

As for your suggestions, my opinion:

1: Have two customs officers.

This sounds like a good thing at times. I also like to treat customs officers as arrival sec guards that can go as far as pods, lower airlocks, disposals and cargo maint, maint near the solars and the main corridor that goes to the central part, where it meets EVA. They can free up resources for normal sec that way instead of sitting around all day. Having two officers would require two lockers though. Also good: If you don't have two, sec could have another locker in emergencies, if unused.

2: Add a disposals chute that leads to the line.

Dunno.

3: Modify the detainment cells so that prisoners can be ejected back on the outside of customs when their time is up.

Yes, however I'd like a split design. Have one cell for longer detention like a permabrig, and another for just unruly folks that you can throw back into arrivals automatically after their time (the cell has a timer) is up. I don't advise doors that lead back to arrivals corridor. I advise a system I once saw on goon or older TG layouts where cells had "chutes" that lead back. These would be "open" once the timer is up, locked if it's running. A good solid one-way thing back to arrivals so people can try again or stay there.

Apart from that: It really depends on how people run the checkpoint. It's usually NOT fun for all if it just takes too long and if more people appear on one side. I personally think having all fill out lenghty forms is ineffective in some or many situations. You can just use 30 copies anyway until you run out. I prefer a faster way and only use forms or checks when needed. It's fast, still fluffy and good mostly.

I think with some more tweaks and additions customs can be a really nice addition and fun for many. With gameplay relevance.

PS: Consider that (unique) bomb suit as standard gear in a locker!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use