Make weapons permits visible with Sec HUDS

Regen

Give some form of indication that the person has a weapons permit, like how the locality implant works.

Give some form of indication that the person has a weapons permit, like how the locality implant works.

But weapon permit tided to job not as different access. And most of that jobs are security. The rest is command feagures and bartender. Or you would also like to have weapon permit as some kind of access which could be given to ID and checked by HUDs and Beepsky? That would be neat feature. HoS/Comdom could issue or strip weapon permit from people. Bartender break the SOP regulations regarding his shotgun? Confiscate the weapon and burn the permission. Situation require creation of milita? Create it and issue permits.

Wow your post is a mess :V

Yes, weapons permit is an access thing you can give to ID's which will make Beepsky not beat you over the head if you're having a weapon out close to him.

This would allow security to see who actually has a permit to wield that RnD printed laser cannon and who doesn't

Too easy to meta; if you manage to acquire all access, this makes it painfully obvious that you have.

You can hide your all access, easily, by changing your job title, but yet you can't do it with this, making it a superrrr easy meta-tool.

It means if you manage to steal an ID and get ahold of all access, you have to forego weapons permits, specifically, and end up getting screwed by beepsky/ED-209's---it also means that when you managed to sneak in an ID change from a guest pass or with an agent ID, you still ultimately have the same problem.

It's an interesting idea, but is just far too easy to meta.

You already would get screwed by bots, I haven't touched that. IMO, meta on this doesn't really apply. The captain or HoP can give anyone a permit, should the person be immediately lynched by security?

I think you're missin' the point.

Person A has all access, but hid it under his job title.

Officer McValuhs sees Person A and notices that he has a weapons permit->stun->arrest->jailed.

This doesn't just apply to those who directly gets assigned all access, but those who also steal it---as with agent ID cards.

What he's saying is that anyway to make it easily identifiable who has a weapon would be instantly recognizable even if they did nothing to draw attention to themselves. Botanist with a weapon permit? Hello shitsec excuse to random search and find an emag or that his ID itself can be changed.

As for the SecHud icon, manually adding access doesn't change the icon, so if someone just pushed all the buttons they would otherwise get around that.

If someone want to play stealthily and make discrete all-access - weapon permit could be safely ignored. You would not wield weapons openly anyway. And if you need to do so - equip second non-descrete full-access ID with weapon permit on it. There is ID computer at arrivals checkpoint and security rarely visit it. So its not very difficult to get inside and make second ID.

It's something you'd expect to have as a physical license.

Something you can attach to your jumpsuit maybe? Having it as an ID thing would just bring too many problems.

Personally I think this is the kind of thing that should be done via ingame documents, which sadly are never used.

This community drifted very far away from using forms, following any sort of SOP. Ingame rules are being bend or just plain broken (e.g. Roboticists in Mechs, Chemists and Scientists having dangerous chems in the hallway or Geneticists with hulk running around) and the community just accepts it as normal and to be expected.

I could go on about how this influences game-play and basically sets up security for failure. But I think what I am getting at here is, that a feature like this wouldn't be used anyway because that would require said persons to actually get permission from the right people. I really struggle to find a good reason why anyone but security should get a weapon permit. In emergencies like blob, aliens or non stealth nukies you wouldn't need a permit, because all rules usually instantly fly out of the window and it's just about survival. In a "normal" round with maybe some lingering antag threat i don't see a good argument to be made as to why someone should have a weapon / lethal.

So I don't think the issue here is that it is not properly communicated to security who is or who isn't allowed a weapon, but rather that security has become incredibly indecisive and ultimately paralyzed. If you play a security officer how i personally understand the role to be played and how i remember it being played a few years ago, then nowadays half of the server would probably throw stones at you. So i think this is rather a general community issue than something that could be fixed with a game mechanic.

If I'm remembering it properly, the bartender's office has a paper license in it at round start.

A special stamp or something for authorizing it would be a nice addition (and maybe finally give traitors a reason to buy the chameleon stamp).

It's something you'd expect to have as a physical license.

Something you can attach to your jumpsuit maybe? Having it as an ID thing would just bring too many problems.

It already is an ID thing, making it physical would be an unnecessary hassle. The bots check against your ID for other stuff too, so it makes sense it would be there.

I think CMO should also be part of giving someone weapon permit along with HoS just like in real life. Or Psychiatrist. Because you would not hand out a weapon to insane prick.

So I think psych need his own stamp too.

Nothing wrong with a signed and stamped paper licence

Also, you can have all access and still appear as a civilian on sechud - it's tied to the name and not the access for what icon shows, I believe.

I think CMO should also be part of giving someone weapon permit along with HoS just like in real life. Or Psychiatrist. Because you would not hand out a weapon to insane prick.

So I think psych need his own stamp too.

Real life Weapons Research Labs can actually create and test weapons before getting the military or law enforcement involved in decided whether or not it's viable and acceptable for service.

Back on topic, if we were going to impliment this, it should only apply when a "weapon" is being held, to include syringe guns and somatarays. Security would get a heads up when someone is waliking around with a gun, but also generate a lot of false positives like beepsky does so they'd need to examine and check first. (And make unwarrented arrests and excessive force count as assault if officers are tasing people carrying weapon like objects )

Here's my two bits:

If someone wants a gun, they should get a signed and stamped paper for that gun from the Captain or HoS. If they bring that paper to the HoP, the HoP can then add weapons access to their ID. Also, their gun should be labeled with a hand labeler to prove it's theirs. However, we really don't need another icon for sec HUDs. Instead, if security sees someone walking down the hallway with a gun, security should ask if they have a permit. If no, then arrest the guy and confiscate their weapon, and tell them they can get it back if they get a permit.

Also, there ought to be something about civvies with guns on different alert levels. If the gun has lethal capabilities, then it needs to either be carried on their belt or back on code green, or stashed away in a private locker. They can have it in their pack on code blue, but on code red, if they're walking around in the hallways with their gun drawn they need to be moved back to their department. And it really doesn't need to be stated, but if they don't have their permit on them, then that's no good. If they break any of these rules, then their weapon permit can be revoked.

Really though this'd all be pointless anyway, it'd only be another bit of SoP that everyone can safely ignore.

Unless there's a spehsul mechanic for it, it's nothing we can't already have in game already with the magic of creative formatting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use