Religion - The Order Of Venris

Taedra

Deity:

The cult worships a great red dragon known as Venris the Voiceless. This "Dragon" was said to be present at the creation of the known universe and is a keeper of a great metaphorical library of all knowledge.

Beliefs:

The cult believes that knowledge is sacred and that living creatures (Including artificial life) are the vessels through which knowledge is attained. The knowledge you attain in life is said to be used as your "toll" to cross into the afterlife, guided by various spirits.

"Knowledge" and experience differ from person to person, making each perspective valuable in its own right.

Machines and computers are great blessings that are tools not to be used and tossed aside, but to be handled with care and lived along side with in order to gain more knowledge.

The People:

Most people who say they follow Venris tend to live by a general code of honor. Killing isn't a sin in it's own right but it is heavily frowned upon, since such a permanent act is only necessary because we do not posses the knowledge to confront certain conflicts more efficiently. (Imagine the act of incinerating a changeling. We don't know of a way to really peacefully deal with them so we do what we must.)

Reckless pursuit of knowledge can bring great loss and pain, the idea of ethics and morality are strong in the cult.

The cult is composed mostly of Human populous, however it welcomes anybody into its flock.

High intellect professions such as doctors, engineers, and various science fields are held in high regards within communities.

Hierarchy:

The cult has a single "Pope" who is referred to as the Shepard. The Shepard is an elected position every 30 years drawn from the pool of the council.

The council is comprised of people who are at the heads of various "Guilds" within the cult. Each member represents the interests of their guild and the places under their care. Thus forming a voting democracy of elected officials under the Shepard.

Composition:

While The Order of Venris is nothing compared to the economic might of NanoTrasen, they are in their own right a booming corporation. What began as common beliefs among merchants and miners quickly grew into a booming coalition and eventually a single entity. The bright mind who managed to pull off such a feat three generations ago was Yulis Eir.

Yulis Eir was a successful business woman who took on her father's space faring business after he passed away. One day her ship vanished during a scheduled FTL jump appearing one week later after the scheduled arrival at the correct place. The crew of the ship were all missing safe for Yulis and whatever she saw had changed her. She became plagued with "visions" (most outsiders speculate she was simply a madman who murdered her entire crew.) of the great dragon that she had claimed chose her to be the voice that the dragon lacked.

With religious fervor now fueling her, she devoted the rest of her life converting as many as she could to her cause using her economic assets to forward the religion and secure it a place in the history to come. To this day the religion stands as a minor economic entity on the great galactic stage.

So the idea for this came when I was simply in a round running around spouting on about the Omnissiah and how the maint bots were blessed by the machine spirit to do good work for the station. I finally decided I needed to have something else that I have more creative freedom with for when I was playing as chaplain. The idea for the religion is a mash up between the idea of machines being sacred and a religious cult that I am in the middle of working with a close friend of mine to implement into a Dungeon World campaign he is running. I wasn't honestly sure what thread to post this under but regardless I think it will be something interesting for me to use when playing chaplain. Hope yall enjoyed a bit of it at least and feel free to use it as you please.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use