Making Money Matter

Wisewill

I've thought about how to get money to a resource that is worthwhile outside of RP purposes. The solution I found is rather simple. Remove Cargo points.

If you replace Cargo points with an accounts system that takes funds from the person who ordered its account then suddenly Money is worthwhile. Better still. Heads of staff have Department accounts which can be accessed rather than their own accounts for orders. To replace the point gain from crates X amount of money can be deposited into the Cargobays Departmental Account for returning crates.

This system if used would make money matter. Not only as an RP resource but as a gameplay resource and, at least from my point of view, removes a contrived, gamey system. It's not really quantifiable how much 1 Cargo point is worth but it is easily apparent how much 1 credit is.

this is an interesting suggestion, but it does have a problem

so let's say we have two systems, called system A and system B

and let's say that system A was fucking useless and system B was one of the most time-tested and integral systems in the entire game, around from near cargo's very beginning

would it make more sense to get rid of system B entirely and replace it with the much more convoluted and unnecessary system A, or would it make more sense to just get rid of system A?

I don't really see how the system is convoluted. Both have been in existence for some time. Even the features of what I proposed are already in place. Not really seeing your remarks as anything but wanting to stay with cargo points.

@NTXUb - While your opinion is valid, the very nature of Cargo Points makes it nonsensical outside of the actual cargo system. What Will seems to be vying for is a currency that actually functions universally.

We are all playing employees on a Space Station. When we work, we get paid, when we call the shuttle seven times in a round, our pay gets docked. It only makes sense that money would have a use or importance. Vending machines already require it, you can rig up your EFTPOS dealio to require it for whatever services you offer.

Here's my compromise idea: Keep Cargo Points! But ALSO make them purchaseable. When a department needs something, they buy the cargo points and deliver the receipt and the request to Cargo Bay, who uses (or doesn't) the newly added Cargo Points to make the order.

• 2 weeks later...

Port Goon Cargo.

This is effectively what Cael was working on, but making it more...um, drawn out; it involved a LOT of waiting for the shuttle to travel, etc.

It also tied up the main cargo shuttle while you were buying/selling/trading.

Unfortunately the code was never finished; it was dropped around 50-65% completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use