Give Paramedic compact defib

Streaky Haddock

This is an idle suggestion and not one i'm gonna push too hard for but

Take the compact defibrillator from the CMO and give it to the paramedic. Since the Paramedic actually needs a compact defibrillator and the CMO is always within walking distance of like five.

The reason why i'm not pushing too hard for it is no CMO has ever refused my request for it so it's never too hard to get. So this is more quality of life than actual WE NEED THIS AAAA.

If you'd rather the CMO controls the belt-equipped defib that's okay.

I'd like to have a compact defibrillator because sometime the CMO said "it's mine" or "Only the CMO can have it" so it would be fun to have one and don't have that kind of problem.

compact defib is a superior unit to the regular defib, as such, it belongs in a higher ranked job.

We don't give the atmos techs the advanced magboots, the telescientists the telearmor---in this case, I don't really see why the paramedic should have access to the upgraded version--especially when his job is largely to just keep stable enough to be delivered to medbay and not necessarily 0 to 100 them out in the field.

okay i'm fine with most of the logic except that bit at the end.

I wouldn't be able to 0 to 100 someone with compact defibs as a paramedic. If I have to defib someone before I get to medbay, it's probably because they're barely clinging to life.

It takes a lot of work to fully restore someone to perfect health after defibbing.

Frankly I hate the defibrillator, even though without it most of my characters can't be revived at all. Sure, cloning can take five minutes once the corpse gets to medbay. But 5u alkysine and 1u ryetalyn and they're good to go into cryo for a minute - In, out, same process over and over for everybody, no having to sit them in surgery for fifteen minutes while the surgeon fixes six broken bones and all their organs and cleans out infections. While defibbing is great for Diona, vox, and slimes, and I guess plasmen, it's a much longer process to heal them than cloning is, and if science has done their job and upgraded the cloner / cryo cells / freezer, you can bring someone from 0 to 100 in three minutes with no surgery, no replacement limbs. AND you get to autopsy the old corpse to see how they got fucked up - a very underutilized advantage.

That's why I agree with fox - even if a paramedic defibs someone in the field, there's no way they have everything they need to pull them to full health, so it's faster and more efficient to just bring the corpse to cloning. Don't waste time defibbing someone eight times in maintenance when they have 300 brute damage, no limbs, and two broken lungs (this has actually happened to me). You've got 5 minutes to defib someone before it won't work anymore. Spend that time getting them to medbay, let the actual doctors cure the damage (since defibs only cure suffocation), and go after the next person.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use