Suggest reworked job-item spawns

Wintermote

Some jobs have me hunting around grabbing stuff for 15 minutes before I can actually start doing anything.

Examples

Engineer/CE - Grabbing T-ray scanners (CE doesn't spawn with or have one in his office), analyzers and remote signallers for anomalies, putting on hazard vests and webbing, and getting multitools.

Medbay - Getting a medical belt, getting advanced medkit supplies to put in the belt, grabbing latex gloves and a facemask, switching clothing for scrubs or a first responder jacket, grabbing a syringe.

Security - Grabbing a secbelt, putting flashbangs, cuffs, pepperspray, flash, baton, into the belt, grabbing a mask or announcer thing; sometimes swapping out for different sec style clothing.

To be honest, I don't understand the logic in forcing players to hunt for some of these things for 30 seconds. Like multitools - there's a billion of them in engineering as it is, yet it's treated almost like engineers aren't supposed to have them, or they're supposed to be rare. Why the time waste hunting things down?

If you guys have further suggestions for what a job should spawn with (or shouldn't spawn with) this'd be the thread for it.

Equipping yourself is part of the game. Spawning with all the items you need for the whole round would be pretty boring and dumb. If you don't have that 30 seconds to do that, then maybe this game is not for you.

Then, following that logic - why spawn with any equipment at all?

Why not have everyone show up in just their uniforms?

Some of this is to limit the availability of items or reduce access tot hem for most of the crew while still scaling it with a particular job population.

A perfect example of this is both the hybrid taser and the telebaton. These only spawn on certain jobs to reduce the access to the items so they're not abused and have way less impact on the round if that class/job is not present.

In other situations it's about customization; not everyone wants a t-ray as an engineer, a medical belt as a doctor---and for security, especially, there's 100 different ways 100 different officer's are going to want to configure their loadout (or even the order of their loadout).

Inventory management and equipping is part of the game, as Dreadweaver said--the reason everything doesn't have to be equipped is to balance out ease of access vs customization and factoring in potential transfer as well---all while keeping down spam and access to high-impact items.

Then, following that logic - why spawn with any equipment at all?

Why not have everyone show up in just their uniforms?

Believe it or not in early version of SS13 everyone spawned on the shuttle in Civilian clothes and you had to make your way to your locker in your department to get loaded up. Now THAT was frustrating.

While i think placing items like t-ray scanner in the CE office should be done, it's not game changing just a convenience change and most likely every CE wants one. Items like analyser and remote signaler are more boarderline, i don't pick them up beforehand and for me having them in the CE locker would only clutter it even more.

Spawning items directly on the character is useless in most cases, everyone will gear up differently and the more you force onto someones charater, the more will be just thrown on the floor. Like at arrivals with the plastic bags and boxes. (Although i don't understand why someone would throw away a plastic bag, they are awesome.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use