Warning indicator for low O2

Wintermote

Could we add some sort of warning indicator to the UI so people can see when they're about to run out of oxygen (or nitrogen) and need to get some more?

I'd recommend simply changing the color of the internals indicator:

When it's off, it has no glow.

When it's on, it glows green.

Proposal:

When it's low, it glows yellow.

When it's at emergency level it glows red. (A minute or two of air remaining)

Could we add some sort of warning indicator to the UI so people can see when they're about to run out of oxygen (or nitrogen) and need to get some more?

I'd recommend simply changing the color of the internals indicator:

When it's off, it has no glow.

When it's on, it glows green.

Proposal:

When it's low, it glows yellow.

When it's at emergency level it glows red. (A minute or two of air remaining)

Examine your oxygen tank; it'll beep and buzz and pitch a hissy fit when your O2 is about to run out; likewise, you can very easily see the total pressure and distribution pressure currently in your tank on your "status" tab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PASS_device

Few of these around the place could be pretty fun. Better internals status indicator and some kind of location alarm maybe?

I think it should just be a standard function of your oxygen tank; no need for them to be provisioned or for only science to produce something like this - 99% of the players will never see it and the entire point is to improve the UI for playability reasons.

Just don't think this is necessary; again, you can see the total pressure in your status tab and you can examine a tank and it will buzz at you if you're low on oxygen---we don't need visual indicators for everything.

Doesn't even have to be just a better HUD, maybe it could sound an alarm when you fall into crit or something.

I'd rather a sound alarm when you've got a few minutes of oxygen left, rather than when you're essentially dead on the ground. And an alarm to everyone around you is a bit much, imo - if that was something you were implying.

Right now, with vox players especially, I've noticed more than a few times that they only seem to realize they need more nitrogen once they've actually run out.

The current indicators for something so important, especially for a race that cannot be cloned, aren't enough to make a player aware while they're concentrating on other things. The suggestion was made because what we presently have does not present information to the player very well. Especially new players who already struggle with how internals work, nevermind what all the tabs, numbers, and icons mean. (If your air tank has 200kpa in it, how long do you have before it runs out? Can ANY player guess without having memorized the airtank's volume from the code and then doing the math, or from just experience?) The status tab does not function as an effective warning of low internals.

A gasmask and air canister than glows green when on, yellow/red when dangerously low seems like a very simple solution to the problem.

Likewise, a ping and indication in the chatbox would also work well.

I don't understand the need to keep outdated UI elements when we could declutter some of the interface a little further by doing this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use