New Race: Hunters

skarrj

Illarians

Illarians, (ˈilärˈēˈinˈs; singular, Illarian) known informally as simply Hunters, are an extraterrestrial species characterized by their hunting of other dangerous species for sport and honor. Originally Illarians even used to hunt humans, out of favor for their ingenuity.

Illarians are a sentient, humanoid race that breathe an atmosphere similar to that of Earth's. The Illarians stalk and kill their prey using a combination of highly evolved traits, such as active camouflage and heat vision, combined with traditional weapons. Although they favor their ancestral methods, Illarians posses some of the most advanced technology in the entire galaxy, and particular skills in Genetic Engineering. Using their technology, they created the first Xenos as the ultimate prey to test their hunting skills. As of late, the Syndicate have begun to use the Xenos biogenic weapons, intended to kill entire populations.

Mechanics

+ Illarians can speak a unique language, consisting of clicks, roars, snarls and growls, that can be understood by Xenos and used to communicate with them.

+ All Illarians have claws, and will scratch with them instead of punching when unarmed, dealing extra damage.

+ Illarians posess a natural heat vision, allowing them to see people, monkeys and other creatures though walls.

+ Illarians have natural armor, roughly equivalent to a riot shield.

+ Immune to Xenos' and Changlings' neurotoxin.

+ Illarians fade into the shadows and are automatically rendered invisible in the slightest of shadows. Can be toggled on/off.

~ Illarians are less vulnerable to harm from cold, but more vulnerable to harm from heat.

~ They can consume Diona Nymphs, alive or dead.

~ Due to their natural armor, attempts to grab and shake an Illarian awake can fail.

- Breathe only Nitrogen. (Given a Nitrogen tank at round start to accompany this)

- Their heat vision makes them disadvantaged when welding/walking by portable flashes, or in an EMP area unless propper protection is taken (i.e. Sunglasses or Welding Masks).

- Illarians cannot use human gloves due to their claws.

- Weak to Toxin Damage. (take about 30% more toxin damage)

- Extremely vulnerable to Ethanol and alcahol. 15 units is lethal.

Culture

Although they have highly ordered and logical minds otherwise perfect for mathematics and statistics, Illarians are instead obsessed with hunting. Although seemingly for sport, their motivations for hunting are primarily based around their ancestral systems of honor, which highly emphasized hunting prowess.

Illarians pride themselves as being atop the universal food chain. Because of this, they excel in the Security field and are often contracted explicitly by Nanotransen for their evolutionarily honed skills. However, some Illarians choose to pride themselves in only tracking worthy adversary, such as Xenos. Illarians were originally known to deliberately breed Xenomorphs in order to hunt them, as a means of testing and evolving their skills.

Illarians, although mysterious and seemingly emotionless, appreciate the concept of humor and will sometimes go to lengths to intimidate or scare their prey for personal amusement.

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't say its any more OP than the Vox's ability to leap and tackle a target down. The only strong benefits they have are their heat vision (which is double edged) and their invisibility, which is essentially neutralized by just having a flashlight on your person, or a headlamp (not to mention it only works in the dark). Even the PDA's light would offer a mild counter. The main reason I thought darkness based invisibility would be best for during a Xeno round, since Xeno also thrive in the darkness and it would make them more suited towards fighting them. So given that, I'd say they aren't exceedingly OP, at least not to the extent that they could be. Not to mention, they give more dimension to the Xeno round type and to the back-story of things in general.

Also its not like everybody would be running around with one of these bad boys. I'd presume, if added, they'd probably have some ridiculously obscene karma cost. I could see anywhere from 60 to 75 being reasonable.

Seems to be a few interesting features with a mishmash from other races (I even recognize my own writing in there). Seems to obviously be a setup for some sort of alien vs predator thing. The invisibility and thermal vison are neat, and seem to have fair downsides. Still, it'd have to be a decently high cost to ensure not everyone is running around with such things.

While I can see what you're trying to do, creating something to balance aliens, but will be available in all rounds just unbalances things even further. I've played a lot of geneticist, and if I'm a traitor and find shadow cloak, unless I've got something like hijack the shuttle, I'm very likely to fulfill my objectives. For a triator to start with it rather than have to find it is a scary thought. Oh, and people very rarely have flashlights on unless they're in maintanence.

From the other side, if you've got a sec guard with it, then the antags are in real shit... target located, coast clear, go in for the kill, oh shit, where'd that sec come from???

Making them high cost doesn't make them balanced either, especially as everyone would want one and start saving up. Eventually they'd be as common as other karma races, maybe more common as people would want this over the others so wouldn't buy the others

Its shadow cloak, it only works in existing darkness. If an area of darkness is small, it can't be used as effectively. If an area of darkness is large then it is expected people will be using lighting devices. Also, the entire point of the race is that they specialize in stealth and the hunt. Its not like people of the race are just going to sit out in maintenance tunnels and just wait for an antag to possibly show up so they can get in a surprise attack. If an antag realizes there is the potential for a Hunter to be pursuing them, it shouldn't be at all difficult to take counter measures.

Also, just because something disadvantages an antag shouldn't mean anything. I've personally been able to stop several antags and save myself from some tight spots using the Grey's telepathy. And I saw a Vox recently kill a wizard by using it leap ability recently. Both of these races already force Antags to be more cautious.

And this isn't just to counterbalance aliens. Sure, a properly equipped Hunter could do wonders against a Xeno or tip the scale. But even with their racial abilities I don't see a Hunter being able to go toe-to-toe with an Alien alone. They just aren't on the same level of power.

You're underestimating shadowcloak. If it only worked in darkness it wouldn't be much use, as no-one can be seen in darkness without a light source. knock out a single light bulb and people can see just fine, but you've got a patch of shadow you're invisible in.

Yes, Vox's leap is strong, but it's their only real advantage. You're talking about giving then natural armour, vampire sight and immunity to xeno/ling toxins as well, with the only real downside being the same as a Vox's, the breathing, the others being thins that wouldn't really disadvantage them (btw, the alcohol thing would be tricky as there isn't an alcohol chemical in the code, just certain drinks having certain side effects)

050fe8b691.gif

They are OP. They however might be a nice race to invade the station during Xeno Rounds with their own set of gear , with the ability to cloak in light enviorments as well(has to be toogled and has a certain cooldown), otherwise making them unplayable in general, after a while after the infestation, about 4 or 5 are picked from the dead to become one of them to assault the station , however the humans are enemies as well.

Illarians can speak a unique language, consisting of clicks, roars, snarls and growls.

Cool

that can be understood by Xenos and used to communicate with them.

Not so cool.

All Illarians have claws, and will scratch with them instead of punching when unarmed, dealing extra damage.

Ok, a common feature.

Illarians posess a natural heat vision, allowing them to see people, monkeys and other creatures though walls.

Erm, kinda strong but maybe.

Illarians have natural armor, roughly equivalent to a riot shield.

Wait, ONTOP of the previous suggestions?

Immune to Xenos' neurotoxin.

You must really dislike alien rounds. This is too imbalanced for that gamemode, so definately not. Wait, you want this in addition to all the previous suggestions? Are you even serious?

and Changlings' neurotoxin.

I'm going to assume you mean stings here. Now you're just getting ridiculous. I don't care how many negatives you're going to give them, the only negative that would counteract all these would it would be an admin race only for events.

Illarians fade into the shadows and are automatically rendered invisible in the slightest of shadows. Can be toggled on/off.

See below:

ancgk.jpg

TL;DR image says it all.

The race doesn't have to be implemented as is. There could be other draw backs (such as invisibility limited to walking) added or specific characteristics removed (such as the neurotoxin immunity.) However, that being said, I see a lot of potential for a race with adaptions based around stealth and hunting, even with many of their other things stripped away.

The race doesn't have to be implemented as is. There could be other draw backs (such as invisibility limited to walking) added or specific characteristics removed (such as the neurotoxin immunity.) However, that being said, I see a lot of potential for a race with adaptions based around stealth and hunting, even with many of their other things stripped away.

No, you just created Kidan Vox Tajaran Alien hunter.

As is, the race is WAAAAAYYY to OP, for starters, thermal vision is such a great advantage, that giving it as a starter would basically mean instawin for any kind of traitor, "but its only heat" yeah mix that with Mesons and you have the xray without drawbacks.

I would like this concept as a separate antag for Alien rounds / Admin spawned, but as a race? No

The idea behind this race seems pretty neat, but as others have said, it seems quite overpowered. Perhaps giving it some more original and balanced abilities and perks would be good. I tried giving it some balancing myself, but it still would be quite powerful.

Mechanics

+ Illarians can speak a unique language, consisting of clicks, roars, snarls and growls.

+ All Illarians have claws, and will scratch with them instead of punching when unarmed, dealing extra damage.

+ Illarians miss less often when using melee weapons and their claws.

+ Illarians possess a natural heat vision, allowing them to see people, monkeys and other creatures though walls.

+ They can become partially invisible when walking, similar to the Xeno Hunter's ability. Handy in the dark, but less useful in the middle of a lit hallway.

~ Illarians are less vulnerable to temperature extremes, but suffer more from low-pressure environments.

~ They have strange blood that can only be transfused between other Illarians. (unsure of this one)

- Breathe only Nitrogen. (Perhaps they only breathe another type of gas... perhaps plasma?)

- Their heat vision makes them disadvantaged when welding/dealing with portable flashes unless proper protection is taken (i.e. Sunglasses or Welding Masks).

- Their natural vision makes them unable to properly use most specialized eyewear, such as Meson goggles or medHUDs, and welding protection doesn't always work.

- Stun Batons leave them stunned for far longer.

- Illarians cannot use human gloves due to their claws.

- Weak to Toxin Damage. (take about 30% more toxin damage)

- They have a hard time purging radiation from their bodies, severely slowing radiation degradation, making them rely heavily on radiation medication.

- Extremely vulnerable to Ethanol and alcahol. 15 units is lethal.

Perhaps they could use more nerfs, perhaps something with ranged weaponry... But I'm not sure. I love the idea of a race for hunting, but it will be hard to make it balanced.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use