Autodoc

Happy Tim

Do you think that an Autodoc is a welcome addition to Paradise?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think we all might agree that having over 100 people on the server is a lot.

I think we all can relate to the fact, that when our character gets hurt, we expect to be treated by medical facillity and be returned to full health.

And while I appreciate that the new crit system is trying to make the whole thing more... engaging, it makes everything more stressful for the medical departament.

That's fine, stress is part of the job, however when you have 120+ people running around the station and at least a third of that are assistants who tend to hurt themselves in any given situation. Sometimes doctors and surgeons just need a moment to catch their breath and while cryo can provide that to certain extent, there are things that cryos won't fix.

That's when Autodoc would come into play.

By any means, that's not a new idea and has been done before.

Now, before I will go any further I want to state that I'm NOT proposing:

- Autodoc becoming a better option that a manual surgery, but merely a slower alternative for some types of surgeries that would help to relieve already busy ORs.

- Autodoc being a magical "fix-it-all" option, but merely AN option, that could help medbay with overpopulation

- Autodoc being able to perform multiple actions at the same time.

Instead my idea relates to the system that would:

- Keep the patient stable while SLOWLY performing some simple surgeries (like fixing bones)

- Be upgradeable by science, so it can do more, while never being as good and fast as a player Surgeon.

- Be able to fail - ion storm, Emagg by a traitor, you add it. It's an option to make the medbay play more interesting.

- Provide a good help for beginning doctors, as medbay learning curve feels pretty unforgiving and having something that could aid the Medical Crew in their daily routine might convince more people to try themselves as the new medical recruits.

Again, while some of you may tell that this thing would be obsolete because of the existence of the cryo, I would like to stress out that Cryo and Autodoc would fix different types of damage. Also, just as cryo, by being in either cryo and autodoc the player pays with their TIME and I think it's fair, because at the end the only lasting thing (other than Karma :P) we can spend on Paradise is our time. And if I as a Surgeon can save a dying patient, while an autodoc is fixing HoS's leg to make him work-ready I think it doesn't messes up the balance of the game too much.

It just gives the medbay another tool that isn't a magical, instant SR pill.

Then again, I might be saying a total biased bs, so let me know what everyone thinks.

Does it have a future or do you find it obsolete?  

It's interesting, however I don't like the idea of automatic surgeries, nowadays there is barely any work for doctors in the first 40 or so minutes, and for the next 30-70 minutes either medical gets overrun by reproducible antags like spiders, is full of blood or damaged or there is an increasing need for surgeries. This is the fun zone for doctors (Or the worse for more comfy ones) as it allows them to emulate a normal workday, a panic of critical patients, or a rushed surgery time, where a single mistake could be deadly from the lack of cloners.

Autodoc is barely helping the crew in some rare cases and negatively impacts medical staff. I have to give this one a strong "Nay"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use