Stuck between space and a plasma fire.

Jr1423ye

Once upon a time on a space station far far away, Zack Reed a civilian arrived sporting a bright orange jumpsuit. He walked around while he figured out what it was he would like to do for the shift, his walk landed him at the bar so he popped a squat on a stool and ordered a drink. There were a few other patrons, a rowdy clown slipping people with his PDA, another human civilian, and a IPC assistant. The IPC was smoking a cigarette which Zack noted was odd considering he had no lungs but decided to pay it no mind and continue drinking. As Zack drank some of the patrons left leaving just the IPC sitting next to Zack. All of a sudden Zack heard the maintenance door bolt without the lights turning on and then the hatch getting screwed back on from the other side. He laughed to himself and a few minutes past... Zack jumped off his chair as he looked behind him and saw plasma rapidly filling the room from the ventilation system, he looked right and saw the same thing happen in the kitchen and he ran for the maintenance door. He smacked up against it forgetting it had been bolted down and the IPC ran up to it and started fiddling with the maintenance hatch on the door trying to get the bolts up, a few seconds later a loud spark as his budget insulated gloves failed but Zack heard it, thunk.

The doors bolts went up and Zack ran through the plasma right on his tail, he trampled the IPC who screamed as his cigarette ignited the plasma which flooded into maintenance as Zack ran. He made a quick turn as plasma rushed in from another door, he caught his breath for a moment before continuing and bumping into someone, the chaplain. The two made their way to the old bar and tried to figure out what to do. The sounds of a raging fire echoing throughout the halls made Zack shutter with fear, trapped on a space station with a rampaging fire. Zack heard a snap and looked behind him into the darkness as a glowstick cracked on revealing Qatqat a good friend of Zacks. Qat joined in on the conversation of what to do next as another man came through the door shortly after with many burns. He was a civilian who looked kind of like a cowboy who took a swig of whiskey, the chaplain healed him with a swift smack to the noggin with his bible. All seemed lost, then suddenly Zack remembered that the solars were nearby and had reinforced walls hopefully capable of withstanding the fire, he told the other survivors and they sprinted through the halls towards it, Zack stepped for the door... Beep beep. No one had access, they tried to go back but as Qat opened the door and screamed Zack saw it too, the fire had cut them off. Zack frantically looked around for tools, the cowboy civilian took off his tool belt and tossed it at Zack. He unscrewed the hatch of the door and started pulsing wires from the top. His nerves were on edge as he could hear the fire beating at the walls just outside the room, ZAP. Halfway down the list of wires Zack shook on the ground from an electrical shock, the chaplain acted fast helping him up and healing him with his bible. Zack waited as the doors electronics reset, each second was not long enough as he could see the walls starting to degrade from the fire just outside. Enough time had passed and Zack swiftly went back to the panel and with some luck the first wire he pulsed turned the test light off. "Yes!" Zack screamed out as he crowbared the door open, everyone filed in and Zack crowbared the door closed, just in the nick of time too the last thing Zack saw was the fire flood the room they were just in.

The survivors celebrated their newfound safety behind reinforced walls, whiskey was passed around and any injuries were dealt with. A few minutes past and they took to telling stories of previous shifts and any adventures they previously experienced, everyone was happy... It didn't last long. A scream was heard and Qat who was in the airlock pointed to another airlock just east of them where a survivor was by themselves in a locker, you could see the fire beating against the locker and the screams were muffled by the horrific sounds of the fire. That survivor didn't make it... Zack's group of survivors wasn't so happy anymore just witnessing the death of another wasn't a kindly thing. They didn't have time to grieve though as a new and more terrifying problem arrived, the chaplain spoke "Anyone else feel like it's getting hot in here?". Zack thought he was just being paranoid until he felt it, absurdly hot air entering his lungs making him cough. They were beginning to be cooked like they were inside an oven, fire outside one door, space outside the other. The situation was grim, they drank whiskey to cool their throats and the chaplain healed them until he was doing more damage then good. They were doomed and knew it. The survivors started to scream as reality set in, they no longer had whiskey and could not even numb the pain of their skin starting to melt. All of a sudden Qat said they were going to force the exterior door to space, Zack agreed but the others protested. To avoid a prolonged argument and fueled by the thought of his eyes melting Zack ran forward and pulled the switch forcing the exterior airlock. Qat and Zack floated out, it was a cool sensation at first... Almost calming. Then the pain set in, the crushing feeling was felt. Zack having already been severely burned didn't last long he felt painless his body numb as he slipped off into nothingness, just a white abyss then pure darkness. The last thing Zack saw before his death was a borg open a different airlock. The Borg carried Zacks lifeless body inside to an escape body and left presumably going for the others. 

Sorry if the formatting is bad I wrote this on my phone I'll probably fix it later, this is an actual tale from a round I played I tried to keep it as close to the facts as possible but I don't really remember it all. Anyway if people enjoy this I'll write more tales from rounds I play.

Edited by Jr1423ye
  • Like 2

Qatqat here.

Oh man, this one was one of my favorite near-survival moments so far.

A couple things I remember if you do clean up the post:

- Using station bounced radio to call out for survivors/help

- The airlock vote was tied 2:2 until the cowboy lost consciousness 

- Frantically banging on the escape pod window as the lone sec officer inside just stared in horror, until we succumbed 

One of the ghosts that was watching it all unfold posted a screenshot to the Discord after the round ended:

unknown.png

Edited by Bawbles
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use