Allow generic assemblies to be attachable to wires

Vissy

As of now, we have quite a variety of types of assemblies: signaller, voice analyzer, timer, proximity sensor, infrared sensor and others. They can be attached to bombs, triggered by hand, used in grenades, etc., and yet, for some reason. the only ones that can be attached to the hackable wires are the remote signallers, which is fairly limiting and seems quite strange to me. I could've thought of it as intentional decision for balancing reasons, but, given that most effects of having a custom assembly attached instead of a signaller can be replicated by hiding assembly-signaler pair on the same tile (think smuggler's satchels, or just clever positioning), but with more hassle, complexity and non-zero chance that the channel will be used by someone else, I came to believe it's just an artifact from the time where wires were in early development, and no one just came around for this. Hence, the suggestion referenced by the title - allow generic assemblies to be attachable to wires, just like the signallers are attachable now. This would allow for a variety of things - think motion-activated doors, radios that start transmitting when their owner's health goes too low, voice-activated hacked autolathes... All these things are already possible now, but require more hassle and either wasting valuable inventory space on an additional trigger-signaller pair, sacrificing a valuable satchel, or risking it being picked up by the first assistant that happens to pass by, all while having the signaller's channel exposed to the public.

Coding difficulty: low, I guess? I'm no expert in Byond and Paradise codebase in particular, but from what I've gathered from a brief study, the check happens in datum/wires/Topic(...) and there is no particular reason attachable things should be limited to signallers only.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that's a fairly obvious thing to think of (most suggestions probably seem that way to their authors, though), but I couldn't find anything similar from the brief search, so I'll hope I'm not creating a duplicate. This is my first post and suggestion, please don't bite me very hard. :3

P.P.S. This may or may not go well with another suggestion I've found while looking for potential duplicates:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use