Station Goal: Pressurize Space

Brobotnick

A few days before this posting, there was an uh-oh...

It was a standard shift, I was a mechanic in the sci-maints looking for some materials to salvage because Mining was either brain-dead or literally dead. (nobody grabs an SBR, really now...) I was feeling creative that shift and was looking around for bits and bobs on a code Blue when I encounter a shady individual doing something destructive to an interior bulkhead. I gave a shout and took up pursuit to discourage such vandalizing of my beautiful station. They ran to the area leading into the ante-room near Toxins Research, and I am almost on the miscreant when he opens the airlock to Hell.

A sudden, harder-than-plasteel-hard blast hit us both, my quarry's fate remained unknown as I am thrown backwards hundreds of feet and straight through the reinforced double-pane windows facing the toxins bomb test range. The heat sears me as I impact the port-side wall of the bomb range; a shower of glass peppers my vitals, their relative velocity increased by my rebound. This dramatic scene is recreated scores of times all around the station. A dozen crew members fly screaming into the Void. In a single cataclysmic, eerily quiet shock, death came swiftly to nearly everyone, biological or synthetic. Everything has a melting point.

See Attached. I was told this was the effect of a freak experiment result in Science creating an Atmos error.

I'm not a physicist, I can't even claim to be good at math. But as far I can surmise through some research and and thought, this can safely be called a bad time on Cosmic scales.

My thanks and most credit to the one that got this screenshot while I gaped in silent shock. I'd love to see this analyzed by someone more knowledgeable in Astrophysics than me.

"You're all fi-" ~Nanotresen Board of Trustees

Station Project - Pressurize Space.png

Edited by Brobotnick
spellcheck
  • Like 3

So while I can't claim to be an expert. I do know a decent amount of physics astro and otherwise.

Lets break this down a bit. We'll start with the quantity of gas listed.

A mole refers to a number of molecules. I won't go into details on that but all you really need to know is that the size of the molecule directly affects the size and volume of a mole of that molecule. 

Under normal circumstances, Nitrogen and oxygen would be at roughly 82 and 21 moles respectively. Due to the pressure they're under, the gas has achieved a density of about 4.5 times that. We won't touch the CO2 and Heat Capacity is a result of density and air products so they are relatively self explanatory.

Now for the big stuff. How much pressure is 6.15e+015kPA?

Well, to start, it's 6.07e+013 or 60 tera-Atmospheres.

While I wasn't able to find great sources on the actual pressures in stars, this is above the point where hydrogen would start fusing but certainly still in the realm of possibilities for larger metallic stars. Enjoy being one with a star I guess?

The Temp is the real fun one

4.00e+015C is about three orders of magnitude higher than the Hagedorn temperature. In other words, this is so hot, that matter is no longer recognizable. Atoms can not form at this temperature and you get a quark gluon plasma not dissimilar from the earliest moments of the universe. We're not talking about anything to crazy like the merging of the fundamental forces, we're just talking about the temperature reaching a point so hot that the kinetic energy of the quarks that make up the particles in the cores of atoms becomes greater than the strong and weak nuclear forces.

In other words, you would not be vaporized, you would not be atomized, you would instead be rendered into a state so unrecognizable and exotic that we have not yet even been able to confirm its existence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • explodyparrot 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use