Admin Action Complaint: Alffd

flimflamm

Admin Key: Alffd

My Discord name: FlimFlamm

Complaint: Alffd contacted me mid round to inform me that my name must be changed. I have used the name "Ivan Ooze" for several years as regular on Paradise station, which comes from a fairly unpopular power-rangers movie from the 90's. Only a few times  has someone ever recognized the name, and as such I fully believed that it was obscure enough to be permitted. To be clear I do not role-play as the character Ivan Ooze from the power rangers universe, I merely use his name. My character is a slime person, which makes the last name "Ooze" a good one, but again, I am not role-playing as a power ranger super-villain.

The fact that I have used this name for several years without issue should be sufficient evidence to show that it is obscure enough of a name to be permitted. I'm not sure why Alffd was prompted to take this action, but he advised that I ought to appeal it with an admin complaint and also expressed hope that it be overturned. Please let it be so.

Edited by flimflamm
  • Like 1

No idea if this is allowed but I want to toss a word of support in. I've seen Ivan around a lot as we both like science and I never knew that was what his name referred to. Ooze seems very reasonable as a Slime last name. The character is extremely obscure and if every obscure character is not allowed then the number of name bans is going to fly through the roof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OH WOW. I remember that guy now! HOLY shit it has been so long since I watched those movies. Ivan was in the one where the rangers got the Ninja stuff yeah? Or something like that. Anyway, my opinion is that the name is fine. I watched the movie and if you hadn't of pointed out where it was from I'd have never guessed it, even if I watched the damned thing so many times. :/ I always thought it was just a slime person name. Ivan is common, and Ooze sounds slimey. Makes sense to me that a slime person could and would have a name that way.

Edit: I also know that Ivan Ooze has been around for a very long time, since I started on paradise at least.

Edited by GuiltyBeans
  • Like 2

I would also like to add my two cents if it is permissable.

To say that we cannot use a name that is otherwise completely unrelated to a character that hardly anyone knows of is... Draconian to say the least. If we are to go down that route remember that just about any name in any combination, somewhere, will have been used by somebody for something. There's warning people for names because they're genuinely immersion breaking - "Yung Thug", "Santa", etc - then there's just... Well, this. Why? What's the purpose? Does removing this person's name improve the quality of their character? Does a man named Ivan Ooze running around drag down the RP standards of the server? Of course it doesn't. Anyone who argues otherwise is just being silly. Rules exist to maintain a server's quality, not be lawyered to the point where they actively stifle it.

Ivan is a perfectly acceptable and mundane name. Ooze is a perfectly acceptable name for a slime person, and is fairly standard as far as they go. So why is a man called Ivan Ooze a problem? I never realized the reference, and I doubt most people would. Nor, do I suspect, would they care as it is a completely fitting name given the circumstances. What next? Should I change my character's name because it sounds a bit like "samaritan" when you stutter?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hylocereus said:

What next? Should I change my character's name because it sounds a bit like "samaritan" when you stutter?

Take it down 3 notches, there's no need for your sass.

You're fine with using the name, it's hard to 100% pinpoint a buffer for when a name is obscure enough to be acceptable, so it's a case by case basis.

And to make it clear, this isn't really an admin complaint, it's a secondary evaluation for your character name. Alffd was never in the wrong.

10 hours ago, Regen said:

And to make it clear, this isn't really an admin complaint, it's a secondary evaluation for your character name. Alffd was never in the wrong.

I didn't intend to suggest that Alffd was in the wrong, and it was he who suggested several times that I open an admin complaint against him (while offering appreciated sympathy).

Can I assume that this review is then in my favor and go back to Ivan? (I got a sex change and have been using "Ivanka Ooze" for now, heh...)

Edited by flimflamm
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Regen said:

You're fine with using the name, it's hard to 100% pinpoint a buffer for when a name is obscure enough to be acceptable, so it's a case by case basis.

3 hours ago, flimflamm said:

Can I assume that this review is then in my favor and go back to Ivan? (I got a sex change and have been using "Ivanka Ooze" for now, heh...)

I have not heard anything back on this.  I think for now that it is certainly a safe assumption to make.

This is a really good outcome, I felt horrible about this whole thing and its good to have obscurity finally defined.

We'll file this for now.

The heads are currently discussing what we should do about cases like these, thank you for bringing it up though, as clearing up cases like these help us being more concise about our rules.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use