Should Machine People + Diseases be changed?

Streaky Haddock

I was almost going to put this in general discussion, but decided that perhaps Suggestions would be a better fit.

Should the way diseases interact with Machine People be changed? Given that they have such a vastly different 'biology' to even the Greys and Diona, in that they have no cells as such for viruses and diseases to take hold in.

I feel that as they have no biology for a disease to take advantage of, they shouldn't suffer the SYMPTOMS of a disease. So they won't burst apart for GBS or sneeze or feel any benefits from any beneficial diseases.

However I feel that if they contract an infectious disease, they should act as a sort of carrier and spread it around. So that during a disease outbreak it's still important to quarantine machine people, and manage any diseases they do have.

I'm more interested in a discussion here as opposed to an actual implementation, but it's something that's been bothering me lately, ever since I was infected with false GBS.

Edit: I've also not considered much how machine people should interact with alien parasites.

Well I considered that, but I'd be worried that people would start infecting machine people intentionally with diseases, shoving them underneath showers and then extracting their 'blood' to use to synthesise a cure.

Just make it that the blood wouldn't be infected.

You obviously have no idea on how the code works

Viruses don't cling to clothing, but I suppose you could convert the plasma contamination code to work on machine people with viruses?

Yeah, I have literally no idea what i'm talking about.

Machine people do not have blood and are completely unaffected by ANY reagents added to the body, the machine person's body mostly just being a giant beaker. As an example, if you injected yourself with water and drew from your body at any time afterwards, you'd get water. That being said, Machine People can be infected with and show symptoms of viruses, but cannot be cured as the cure will not process. Therefore if you have a machine person with gibbing syndrome, they WILL die. And speaking of lethal factors, if a machine person dies, they can be cloned but will stuck with clone damage and defects (IE: Lisp, weak arms/legs, etc) and have no means at all of undoing them. Back on topic, I like this idea. Machine people SHOULD be 'carriers', but not themselves be affected.

If so, then Changelings Stings perhaps shouldn't work. A Changeling stung me the other day and my muscles seized up and I collapsed, though I think the duration was less, I didn't take toxin damage and the changeling seemed to struggle to grasp my neck.

Also yes, it's very frustrating if your body somehow actually dies (i.e whisper skeletonisation bug) and you're stuck with genetic defects you really can't cure.

Edit: Also, I've not particularly noticed that I've been taking EXTRA brute damage, and I've not noticed myself suffering more than anybody else in low-pressure environments. In fact yesterday when an AI was siphonining out my air in a confined space, nothing happened.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use