Ideas for Duct Tape

AzraelKnightquest

The YouTool sounds like a good spot. I finished the shiv on Thursday, even showed it in the post above. As for that armour you described, I'm not fond of it. Not saying I'm opposed to the idea of any actual makeshift armour, but makeshift armour that has the sprite of actual armour just with tape on it, seems misleading. Makeshift armour should look makeshift and not like REAL armour that is just patched up in some way.

This is my imagining of makeshift armour: 

haf.PNG.a2447a82c9bba5fb4f7180ade524c610.PNGhal.PNG.65ce23300d39d091e53b1cfdc09db118.PNGhar.PNG.4cad92f3b7270845404d6acc100804c4.PNGhab.PNG.4c8b986857c60c429c810b701fcf57d6.PNG

hazard vest for comparison:
hf.PNG.b858f1cedebf200865fd195706369081.PNGhl.PNG.7e9dfcaf3b2399eeacee4a2fbef96195.PNGhr.PNG.5a5b57d69392e9864655af0cfd5dd82f.PNGhb.PNG.ee213c56bc213af151f77346ac000a8d.PNG

(Made this for an example, I honestly don't like it)

Imo makeshift armour should visibly display the scrounged parts it was made of, like you can visibly see what's keeping it together. If you look at a well crafted piece of medieval armour, a bullet proof vest, or even scrap armour, you will find that the things keeping it together are either not very visible or not at all. Where as the armour I sprited above looks like it was put together in 5 minutes with what the person had near them as a "temporary measure", which is exactly what makeshift means.

Well, in that case, why not simply make a hazard vest with a metal sheet on the front and back. I was simply hoping to make it simpler and easier for you. You're doing a lot of great stuff for, a lot of work I can't do. I wanted to be reasonable to someone who was helping a project I really believe in. But by all means, feel free to add whatever you like. I'm just trying to say, when it comes to making sprites, you're the ONLY ONE EVEN TRYING, the ONLY ONE INTERESTED and I am making NO DEMANDS, so anything is better than nothing for me, I'm grateful for anything. All to your standard and convience, brother.

Can't say I don't like doing things simpler just for the sake of it, I like things to make sense with some thought put into it.
While I can't blame anyone for trying to do things the easy way, however if you're doing work for something you're interested, it wouldn't make any sense to me.
I appreciate you trying to make it simpler for me, but I don't work like that. If there's something I'm interested in, I'll do what I think is right. I may half arse some things to an extent just so I can mess around with it and experiment (like I did with the makeshift armour) or not spend so many hours on it on a certain day, but that's about it really, Ill happily do it over again or spend more hours to make up for it.

• Like 1

lol thanks.

I've almost finished everything that I've been working on. Should I make a new thread or just post it here? Either way, I'll do it tomorrow or the next day. When I'm finished I'm going to make sure I didn't miss anything that should've been done.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late, took longer than expected and I'm not even finished. So this is what I've got so far.

Shiv suggested by AzraelKnightquest: 
taping a piece of glass to stop it from cutting the users hands, removing the immediate need for gloves, nothing else to it. Requires 3 tape.

Wallet jokingly suggested by Rumiluntti:
Makes a wallet. Requires 10 tape.

Seal boxes, crates, and lockers suggested by FPK (boxes) and Machofish (crates and lockers):
Done the code for the boxes, but not the crates or the lockers because I'm a forgetful pleb. Requires 1 tape to tape a box, which cannot be opened, have its contents poured out, or folded. Can be removed by hand which takes 10 seconds, or with a sharp object which removes it instantly. Plan on doing the same thing with the crates and lockers except if someone is inside the locker they can break out, but it's going to take some time, also more tape will be required to tape them.

Seal vents suggested by FPK:
Sealing a vent stops small things from crawling through, stops air from flowing, but it only lasts for 5 minutes and you cant tape it if the exerting pressure is too high. Requires 5 tape. I've also done the same for the scrubber, but because it doesn't exert pressure, there nothing potentially stopping someone from taping it.

Cover eyes suggested by FPK:
To cover someones eyes either target the eyes directly or attempt to tape them after taping their mouth, disregarding a specific target location. Requires 2 tape.

Repair damage on IPCs, borgs, and mechs suggested by Machofish:
To make it not replace the welding tool I put a limit on the amount of times they can be repaired for the brogs and mechs, and for the IPC I made the amount of healing that can be done equal to half of the amount of healing that can be done by the welding tool, which is 60. The borgs and mechs can only be repaired three times before a welding tool is needed to reset this, but to reset it completely they need to be welded an equal amount of times it was taped. And if any of them were repaired with taped, repairing them with the welding tool doesn't repair them until there's no tape left on them.

Can replace cautery for ghetto surgery suggested by Machofish:
Exactly what it says. Requires 1 tape.

Repair inflatable walls/doors suggested by Machofish:
Imo this is the most needed, because as far as I'm aware of there's no way to actually repair these, or at least from what I seen in the code. Requires 1 tape per wall/door.

Make a belt buckle on a chair suggested by Machofish:
Stops you falling off the chair when you smack into a wall. Requires 5 tape.

tape+wood to make splints suggested by Machofish:
exactly what it says, but now that I'm typing this I think it might be a problem since splints last all shift and remove the need for surgery, though I might be wrong about this since I never use them and just go straight for surgery anyway. I think I saw a pr about changing how splints work, which would go well with this assuming what I said is true.

Finally, I've also increased the max amount of tape in a tape roll to 20 and added them to the YouTool vending machines.

This is what I've done so far since I liked these the most. Everything else either didn't work so well when I tried to code/sprite them or I didn't really think they would be suitable, but I can be persuaded to think otherwise.

The ones I thought were nice but couldn't make were:
- Nerd glasses. The sprites were to small and pixelated to clearly see them, making it pointless.
- Blind Cameras. I had lots of fun making this one, learned a lot about the AI, but then I realized that if I made it so that it would show the name of whoever covered the camera to the AI (even if they are unknown) it would just make it too easy for the AI, making it better to hack and this whole thing pointless, But if I didn't then it would be better than hacking it anyway, and make it OP. I couldn't find a middle ground for this. Got some coding for it done but holy shit I've never spent so much time reading code.

As for everything else, sorry but I couldn't think of a reason to put them in. Either there was an alternative way of getting the same result or the result just wasn't needed. I'd list the reasons but the post is already too long as it is

It's worth noting that every single number/variable here is merely a place holder.

Edited by HeadyBucket
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use