Revamping Timer on Unlocking Command Roles

Sollessa

Change to Command Timer  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, Tayswift said:

The issue with gating captain behind playtime in all departments is that good leaders aren't defined by knowing every little thing about what they're managing. Good leaders make smart, well-informed decisions by listening carefully to their subordinates that specialize in certain areas. That's why, for example, the president of a country doesn't need to know how to be a doctor, engineer, businessperson, etc at the same time. CMO is a different story of course, since often you're the only one who has any idea how medbay works.

Captains should ideally have some leadership experience, and have played on the server for a while. Job bans can probably handle the rest.

This isn't meant as a critique to what you said but I want to add to it. The reason why a president of a country doesn't really need to know anything or have any qualifications is because he is elected to his position and democracies are deliberately built on the idea that anybody should be able to run for government offices. A captain is fundamentally different from a president in all manner of respects. First off whenever you're a captain of a military outpost, an oilrig or a ship you usually have some experience and understanding in what the ship or station is supposed to do even if you don't know every little minute detail. Second, it is true that in corporations that nepotism can lead to that unqualified people get into high ranked positions but it's usually more common that the leaders have a career where they've proven their capabilities for a very long time in some junior position - especially when they take responsibility of a science station such as NSS Cyberiad. Third - if you were the NanoTrasen director and you had to give a job to your untested nephew would you put him directly in charge of the station or promote the current CMO to captain and put your nephew below him as a CMO instead? For me the choice seems pretty obvious.

Personally I feel that the captain would and should have experience in working as a head in at least one department before. Which department they might have worked in is less important I think.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use