Add Perception

nickcrazy

Hey, another idea totally not sprung up from another game.

We should add perception to the game, making it so that we aren't able to see everything around us at all times. Certain species can have different fields of view and it would add a bit more depth to the game if we did such.

It could cut down on people instantly IDing people who are tailing them, give people a reason to look before they leap in a sense, make combat more engaging and allow for more uniqueness to species.

Unoriginal? Maybe. A good idea? I think so.

• Like 1

Narrowing vision to a realistic FoV in a top down game seems to me to be a very "Anti-fun" mechanic.  There's probably a reason why none of the major popular servers have done it, not even the high RP ones that try to be hyper-realistic. Either it doesn't really work out in practice, or it would be too much work to code in. 

39 minutes ago, Chaznoodles said:

No

Don't reply if you aren't going to expand upon your thoughts one way or another.

@nickcrazy its an idea I've toyed with a lot, but ultimately I think doesn't add to the game... even how much I enjoy playing Tot with a fiber wire, sneaking up in someones blindspot would just be amazing.... I don't feel that it would ultimately add to peoples enjoyment of the game.

Here's an attempted implementation on /tg/ station:

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24304
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24537

It seems it was only scrapped because nobody wanted to finish implementing it.

Another server that runs it is Lifeweb, which, despite its bad reputation, I think we could learn a lot from.

Personally, though, I find the feature to be not worth implementing. We have way more fun things to focus on in terms of code, and I doubt this will change things that much.

1 hour ago, FlattestGuitar said:

Here's an attempted implementation on /tg/ station:

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24304
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24537

It seems it was only scrapped because nobody wanted to finish implementing it.

Another server that runs it is Lifeweb, which, despite its bad reputation, I think we could learn a lot from.

Personally, though, I find the feature to be not worth implementing. We have way more fun things to focus on in terms of code, and I doubt this will change things that much.

Lifeweb for all its flaws apparently has some really cool stuff. Wish I had access to toy around with their features.

I do see the merit in this, but also the annoyance. What about a 300 degree view to sort of simulate how people normally look around, but not crane their neck to look behind them? You can see all around except directly behind you. Someone could sneak up and attack people from behind, but the blind spot would not be annoyingly large.

Edited by Anticept

I feel like this is a good idea, but I don't really see any way for it to be implemented without creating major problems. Not to mention there is no cool down on turning around so it is very possible to bypass this system by spinning around, something a few people already do.

If there was a blind spot people would constantly stand with their backs to walls

Also Northface Southface Eastface Westface macros will become more popular and people will just contantly check behind them

Dont like this really annoying in general and won't accomplish much because a player's who's on their toes won't let anyone sneak up behind them

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use