Coder Help Wanted: More Tribal Shit

froz-t

Hello, one and all, my name is Frosty and my ideas are good ones.

Story time! As of recent, I have been playing a character, "Donny", a maintenance dwelling tourist who has become feral and lives off of the land. Seeing how there is little land to live off to, I resort to setting up my camp in the unused public garden, setting a bonfire and claiming my territory. I am rather partial to the whole "abandoned, tribal de-evolution" aspect of my character, as well as the liberties that it entails. I'm unsure whether or not anyone will back me up on this front, but I feel like the tribal area is rather lacking at the moment. Whether referring to the crafting menu, or the options for cooking rats, I have a couple ideas that can spice up the life of maint dwelling hobos, and I hope people hear me out. TLDR: I have good ideas and want to add more tribal gear, but I don't know jack fuck about Dream Maker.

I'd like to add more items to the "Tribal" section of the crafting menu, as it currently only has 4 items on it, and two of them are useless/unobtainable without circumstantial methods. I understand that our crafting menu might just have these because we ported it from another server, but I think it can truly be expanded upon for an enhanced experience. Adding some of the following craftable items/mechanic modifications would be helpful:

• Tent/Shelter for lying in, reveals the the lower half of a human's sprite when laying down
  • The traditional "stick and box" trap, that you use to trap small animals/pesky intruders
  • Pile of leaves that can be used to cover up items/traps on the ground
  • A "Wilson" knock-off (Reference to the film Cast Away), possibly named "Milson", made using a basketball/watermelon
  • Some form of club/bludgeoning stick, possibly one that can be held in both hands to intimidate like the spear
  • More craftable options with wood, like full walls, full length torches, or handheld torches
  • Make meals that are cookable/craftable over bonfires, whether it be Rats on a Stick, a Mold Ball, or else a nice Grub Burger
  • Use of herbs/mold to make medicinal items/functional utilities, including healing salve, disinfectant, or smoke bombs
  • More viable methods of growing plants in maintenance, seeing as the only ways are to get your hands on grass and a shovel, or stealing a planter from Botany.
  • Some form of fermenting to make a foul alcoholic beverage, kind of like how I assume you dry leaves to make weed with the new botany system.
  • If Rats-On-A-Stick is going to be a viable recipe, there should be more prevalent vermin in maintenance, either by some random spawning process, or else a means or reproducing, seeing how I only see a maximum of 4 rats in maintenance per round, unless someone has a spawning toy.

As of right now, these are the only changes I can think of that are reasonable, but I would love for people to brainstorm with me on the same level. I understand some of these things are harder to implement than others, but the only thing I'm capable of providing other than concepts at the moment are my fairly standard spriting skills.

I would commend and actively work with anyone who is capable of taking me up on such a request, because I think that aside from typical "maint-dweller" RP, these additions can be utilized in other situations, such as an antag in maintenance needing medical attention/equipment, an intense round of Nations, or a manner of decorating a department.

• Like 3

Well, Space Fungus (the orange gunk on some walls) is already a key ingredient in producing more Spaceacillin. It just never gets used, because the medbay vendors have a ton of the stuff at roundstart. But being able to make it into an improvised version of an advanced trauma kit or something would be really neat. Cloth, fungus, and maybe some other stuff to make your own gauze / ointment? If I remember correctly Aloe and Comfrey leaves can already be used as burn / trauma kits, respectively, so maybe adding some aloe and comfrey seeds to the maint item list and/or the arrivals garden could help, too. Being able to make splints with wood and cloth would be good, too.

What if you could use wood to make a shillelagh? Works as a cane AND as a robusting stick!

Stick and box trap... hm. Cardboard box + metal rod? I'd make it able to catch simplemobs (and drones, because it'd be funny) that pass by, but sentient mobs can just [resist] out of it. And hostile mobs will just smash it. So it won't interfere with players and genuine threats, but if you want a quick rat-onna-stick, and can't find any mousetraps... We'd need iguana-on-a-stick, too, for all those CENTRAL COMMAND UPDATE: LIZARDS BREEDING IN KITCHEN moments.

Notably, the Tribal tab is based around objects which could reasonably be produced in Lavaland, at least going by /tg/'s standards (where we adopted the crafting system from). This will be fleshed out as we port over more Lavaland changes, but likely not in the way you'd want. Give a bit more in-depth examples of how things would work, and coding might happen.

On 3/15/2017 at 2:36 PM, FlattestGuitar said:

Find a spriter and describe how each of the items should work in detail and I'll gladly help out with coding.

Yeah, I'll sprite them myself, I'd appreciate it if you'd work with me.

16 hours ago, fludd12 said:

Notably, the Tribal tab is based around objects which could reasonably be produced in Lavaland, at least going by /tg/'s standards

I'm sure I can figure something out. I imagine if visitors to Lavaland set up camps, it'll stay relatively the same. I'll just have to see as time changes.

On 3/15/2017 at 1:12 PM, agentCDE said:

But being able to make it into an improvised version of an advanced trauma kit or something would be really neat.

I completely agree, it needs more uses and this would be optimal.

HoppyBird.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use