Post-Freeze PR: Traitor Codeword Highlighting

Kyet

Simple idea: when a traitor hears a syndicate codeword/response, highlight it in some way.

Normal crew don't see any difference... but traitors can use this to get each others' attention.

This would mean codewords actually got used, and make it easier for traitors to work together.

Example:

2M00bQr.png

Notice that the words don't appear highlighted at first, but once I become a traitor, I see codewords in bold text.

(Ignore the fact that "Prisoner Processing" doesn't highlight in the last line of this example, that's a bug I have not been able to patch yet)

Code: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... deword_say

Trello: https://trello.com/c/bdgCcS7T

Thoughts?

Edited by Guest

Why not just change it to a sentence and a response sentence that won't alert the crew?

like hows the weather at sol?

I heard that it's raining plasma.

Or something like that, Odd stuff that the crew nearly never speaks of but stuff that the players just think they just Role playing :3

Why not just change it to a sentence and a response sentence that won't alert the crew?

Or something like that, Odd stuff that the crew nearly never speaks of but stuff that the players just think they just Role playing :3

Aye. Most of the time, it's nigh impossible to use all three words into a single conversation and still sound sane.

Aye. Most of the time, it's nigh impossible to use all three words into a single conversation and still sound sane.

This is the trick, you don't need -all- three words. Ideally you say one in a sentence, they response with a word in theirs, you respond again with another... that way it doesn't look ridiculous and to everyone else you're having a reasonable conversation... I've had this happen a few times with other more RP-heavy Tot players. And with this update it'll happen even more!

@TZO - does this work with PDA messages or Announcements?

How letting ghosts see the highlighted code words when they enable antag-hud?

Done.

One small quirk: right now if you are near someone as a ghost when they use a codeword, you won't notice (as their whole text will be bold).

I'm considering changing the markup for the highlight to be red text, or maybe have a box around it, for this reason.

@TZO - does this work with PDA messages or Announcements?

Not right now.

Partly, this is because PDAs/Announcements are more complexity.

I looked on https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... nnounce.dm - and every type of announcement seems to have its own special code to broadcast, meaning I'd have to modify all of them.

Partly, this is because:

- The entire point of codewords is to identify agents you did not know about. If you're PDAing someone as a traitor, you probably already know about them.

- Very few people have access to create announcements, and announcements get more scrutiny. An announcement about, say, the blueshield, or beepsky smash, is more suspicious than simply mentioning those words over the radio. Everyone pays attention to announcements, but most people will miss a normal radio message. Unless of course, they're a traitor, and to them, it has bold text....

Edited by Guest

This is the trick, you don't need -all- three words. Ideally you say one in a sentence, they response with a word in theirs, you respond again with another... that way it doesn't look ridiculous and to everyone else you're having a reasonable conversation... I've had this happen a few times with other more RP-heavy Tot players. And with this update it'll happen even more!

Thanks! The in-game text could perhaps be clearer on the matter. =P

I'd say it's up for interpretation.

Something I don't believe anyone's mentioned in this thread:

Why not just configure code-word highlighting with the functionality we got with Goon-chat?

Click the cog, configure the words you want highlighted. That'll do what you're all looking for, no PR merge required.

I'm going to admit that I don't use the Goon-chat string highlighting feature nearly enough (if at all) and when I do, I'm certain I don't realize its potential. But there is potential! You just have to configure it.

The purpose of posting it was to give ideas, demonstrate the idea has been kicked around elsewhere, and show a different potential way of handling it (and what that looks like).

Kasp brings up an excellent point though; we already really have this, with Goonchat highlighting. It's even more obvious with that, since it highlights the text---you can even specify color.

I'd say it's up for interpretation.

Something I don't believe anyone's mentioned in this thread:

Why not just configure code-word highlighting with the functionality we got with Goon-chat?

Click the cog, configure the words you want highlighted. That'll do what you're all looking for, no PR merge required.

I'm going to admit that I don't use the Goon-chat string highlighting feature nearly enough (if at all) and when I do, I'm certain I don't realize its potential. But there is potential! You just have to configure it.

Nobody does that, though. I wasn't even aware it was possible until you mentioned it.

The point of automatically highlighting traitor codewords is to automatically highlight them.

IE: to make them obvious to traitors who would not otherwise have noticed them.

The people who manually configure highlighting aren't really the target audience for this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use