Remove Fantasy and Video Game Names

Westhybrid

Unserious/Improper character names

Unserious and Improper character names will be changed by an admin. If you continue to join rounds with unserious names, you may receive harsher consequences than just a name change. We allow names from video games and fantasy names, but forbid real life celebrity names or crude pun names.

Examples including but not limited to: “Mike Hunt, Mike Hawk, Adolf Hitler, Donald Trump, John Cena, Barack Obama, xxhungdaddy69xx, gamergirlxd, Hugh Jass, Dick Payne.”

I'm absolutely sure this has been talked about before, but please, please consider how exponentially poor a choice it is to let your server allow video game and fantasy names on your server.

Now this might get long-winded, but holy hell is it tiring to have to perform surgery on Joe Joestar and Harambe in the span of a few days. And I know, the usual argument I see from all the Paradise players so righteously offended that someone might take away their bright colors and snowflake names and their fursuits is that Paradise is not High RP, and you're right, it isn't, but it sure as shit is not Low RP, and that's exactly what letting people play as video game, fantasy, meme and anime characters looks like.

The logical portion of this is that you can't say no to nonfictional names but allow fictional ones. It's literally the most unreasonable rule in your list. They're the same thing; they're references, characters, that aren't your own. They're equally as annoying to deal with and they detract from the situation, and I'm sorry, dealing with an anime character blowing up the engine is just as detracting from immersions as if it were done by a president of the united states. The double standard has to end, and not in the way of making even non-fictional characters allowable, because then I'd have to make another suggestion thread, and it'd be much less tame.

The other argument I see a lot of is that it doesn't detract from the RP or anyone's experience, which is one of the boldest lies I've heard in regards to this game. It does take away from the experience and any sense of immersion, because whatever you're doing in the game immediately has to come to a halt and make room for some guy with a reference name who is trying to make themselves out to be the protagonist. It's irking to try and hold up a conversation with these people and maintain the image in front of you when they're acting like some spunky character from a TV show.

Part of the joy of SS13 are the stories that unfold out of the rounds. Some of my greatest experiences have been fastballed at me through Paradise, where each character was unique and important in their own way, contributing and piecing together the round. And while the degree of harm that reference names might do to your immersion is subjective, it should be universally agreeable that you can't craft a unique and amazing story if you have to make room for the characters of other starkly different worlds. It doesn't allow for creativity. It acknowledges a fourth wall one time too many. It's the cheapest method of ruining a roleplay setting. It's outright lazy, and annoying to deal with for anyone looking for a roleplay experience with substance, which as far back as I could remember when I started on this server, Paradise used to be the best at providing.

If I seem livid, it's because I am, but don't discount my suggestion or argument so flippantly. Not being high RP does not mean you get to sink to the practices of low RP, which is exactly what parading around as an animu looks like. And better than most, I understand if you're some of the people using these reference names, that it's completely understandable to get defensive about it. It's comfortable. But you can do better than that.

I'm looking for Paradise to stop allowing these reference names as a whole, but more than anything I'm looking for open discussion on this topic without it just being locked up and dismissed. That's my rant and suggestion.

This rule change was about 50% of why in the span of a week, I went from putting in 45 hours a per week on Paradise to putting in 45 hours per week on Aurora. Paradise is kickass. It's got awesome mechanics, a good community, and high population role playing through the violence and macabre treatment by NT. I'd love to come back to Paradise and have tried multiple times, but every time, it's either a baldie named Johnny Rico or a blue haired greyshirt named Rick Sanches that takes me out of the round. My gaming community used to have Paradise station specifically as one of our primary games for game night. The name change and subsequent loss of immersion drove them away from SS13 as a whole. A few mainline Aurora, Goon, or CM now, but the majority of them (about 20 in the group) are gone because of it. (And a few other changes that happened around the same time that I won't bring up in this thread out of respect for ts people who implemented them.)

TL;DR THE PARA IS GOOD. THE RULE IS BAD. SO SAYS ZARDOZ.

We used to not allow names of fictional characters from things like TV shows and such, which was honestly a hassle for everyone.

There were plenty of times where someone would ahelp about another player's name because it happened to also be the name of a character in some show the admin hadn't been aware of for one reason or another (our admin team is spread across the globe, so there's a lot of regional stuff one might not know but another would). This ultimately lead to a lot of confusion on both the player and admin sides on whether or not they should let the person retain the name because it's some obscure finnish tv show character's name from the 80s that the admin in the USA had never even heard of prior to the ahelp.

Eventually, the admin team voted internally and decided to rescind that restriction to make the entire process easier for everyone. Crude and obviously out-of-place names still get BWOINK'd, but naming your plasma-peddling atmos tech Hank Hill isn't going to really ruin anyone's day. Likewise, someone named something like Luigi Mario (yes, that's in fact his last name) isn't going to ruin your immersion based on just their name.

Hell, there are real people named after characters from shows, books, and games like Zelda Williams (daughter of the late Robin Williams) or even that kid who was named Dovahkiin. You don't necessarily need to account for their backstory for your own, and learning how to adapt to new situations and people is a VERY important skill to master for good roleplay... One which you hone through actually doing so.

This change is likely to get repealed, but you are all welcome to discuss the implications of it.

We used to not allow names of fictional characters from things like TV shows and such, which was honestly a hassle for everyone.

There were plenty of times where someone would ahelp about another player's name because it happened to also be the name of a character in some show the admin hadn't been aware of for one reason or another (our admin team is spread across the globe, so there's a lot of regional stuff one might not know but another would). This ultimately lead to a lot of confusion on both the player and admin sides on whether or not they should let the person retain the name because it's some obscure finnish tv show character's name from the 80s that the admin in the USA had never even heard of prior to the ahelp.

Eventually, the admin team voted internally and decided to rescind that restriction to make the entire process easier for everyone. Crude and obviously out-of-place names still get BWOINK'd, but naming your plasma-peddling atmos tech Hank Hill isn't going to really ruin anyone's day. Likewise, someone named something like Luigi Mario (yes, that's in fact his last name) isn't going to ruin your immersion based on just their name.

Coming from a High Pop server that does enforce a strict name rule and is medium-RP, this can be implemented and done here. Paradise has infinitely more staff than us, you can enforce name rules. It's more about proper judgement. Obscure shit from a Finnish TV show? Probably allowable, if not, then strike it. Mixed names like Zelda, for example? Zelda was a name before it was a video game, so literally not a problem.

Point being is that this rule is enforceable and our server is a testament to that. Hell, if anything, your staff could enforce it better, given your numbers.

Reference names do far more harm than good to RP levels, and disallowing them certainly IS enforceable. Admittedly things can get grey regarding if a name is allowable or not, but it's fairly easy to gauge intent in most cases.

Lighter changes to the rules such as banning joke characters or blatant insertions from other media.

First of all, it was never a rule. The rule was clarified at one point. Video game and fantasy names were never banned.

The idea that Paradise thus went suddenly downhill when the rule changed is bullshit, because no such change happened.

Secondly, if you want to be taken seriously, then the whole line of " so righteously offended that someone might take away their bright colors and snowflake names and their fursuits" should be left out entirely. A vast majority of video game and fantasy names are not furry related at all. They're obviously not snowflakes either, as there's literally another version of them out there. If you are actually livid over this, then you're taking things wayyyy too seriously. I'm not sure how someone I very rarely see on the server could be so livid over the change. It's good to know you care so much, I guess?

Lastly - I agree. I think people should be making their own characters and not just copying other ones. Where to draw the line is tough though, as pointed out that people IRL are named after fictional characters. I'd love to see a higher standard there.

Lastly - I agree. I think people should be making their own characters and not just copying other ones. Where to draw the line is tough though, as pointed out that people IRL are named after fictional characters. I'd love to see a higher standard there.

The Potter Generation is growing up, in this case. We will be seeing A LOT of people named after fictional characters in real life.

I don't feel like commenting much since neca hit a good number of points, but the only person who makes these connections are other people. I don't think twice about where a name comes from or what it means. A name is a name, its who the person is not what they are called.

Though personally Harambe named people are just like Groot diona and should be punished. But that's just me.

Mind you, people will not likely be naming each other after present-day fictional characters 500 years in the future.

Aside from that, Necaldun is right in that it was not an immediate change. I'm not privy to what goes on in admin-land, but I suspect other priorities take precedence over punishing all but the most obscene names. Whether or not there was a change to the rules in the past, the addition prohibiting fictional names is a necessity in the present if the server is going to maintain it's delicate balance of RP and action. Adding an enforceable, reasonable clause to the rules isn't a bad idea at all.

If I'm having a drink with someone in the bar, it doesn't matter if their name is Joe Smith, Hank Hill, or Sonic The Hedgehog.

Similarly, it doesn't matter if they're a generic human, someone in a mafia costume, or they're going all out to look/act like a well-known cartoon character.

If I find them interesting, I'll interact with them, no matter what their name or costume is. If I don't, I won't. It is that simple.

Their name/costume doesn't matter. Whether they're pretending to be a well-known character or not doesn't matter.

What matters is whether they are interesting. Original characters are more likely to be interesting, but originality is only one factor of many.

This is a 2D spaceman game. Let people be who they want. If you don't like it, well, you can usually just ignore them.

Policing character names/uniqueness is not a worthwhile use of admin time.

and their fursuits

Also, making this comment (especially in small font) is severely corrosive to your credibility.

I dunno about you, but from what I've seen, not everyone with a reference name necessarily acts or acted like their named character---some definitely do; most of the ones that do get tired of their routine and go back to a different character, eventually---orrrrr the character becomes a "in name only" kinda thing. That is to say, their character actually develops and changes and takes on a unique personality--effectively becoming a character in name/appearance only.

Also, I'm sorry, but some reference characters are actually hilarious. "Gary" is both amusing, funny, and generally roleplayed very well---I know more than one has met their end to a "HAHA, Gary" before getting absorbed and having a chuckle at it--I've heard a plethora of positive remarks about the character made in deadchat about how well roleplayed it is and how much they have fun with him. Is it a reference character? Sure. Is it a original? No..but does that really matter? The player enjoys roleplay as that character and a lot enjoy interacting with them---that's more important, in my honest opinion.

On a server that has a peak population of 120 people, with greytide as a legitimate issue, this comes across as a minor "problem" in the grand scope of things---and I really don't think it's one to begin with.

Also, to add to what Neca and Earth said---as someone who's been around since day 1? Paradise has literally never policed fictional/reference names.

I have to head to school right now, but, not for this at all, leave names how they are. I'm not for shoving this in at the time being. I'll elaborate in a few hours when I'm back home.

It's a video game where clowns viciously stab people in the eyes with a bananas whilst causing serious brute damage, and where if you lube the hallways the station's warden will break your legs for it (literally; presuming admins gave permission).

You rarely see people who use games from fictional content or video games. You see even more rarely people, that actually roleplay as the character from the fictional content or video game. Yeah, like Fox McCloud said, things such as greytide are a much bigger problem than someone going around as "Dr. Rockzo, The Rock & Roll Clown" whilst screaming "I LOVE COCAAAAINE", because something similar probably happens only once in a dozen rounds, and even then you will not notice it because most of the time the server's population is above 90. That's a lot of people.

If this really grinds your gears (I'm talking for myself here, this is only my opinion) as badly as I imagine, you should pull a stick out of your ass. I don't mean that in bad blood, I just want to say with that idiom that things are a lot more enjoyable most of the time when you turn down the knobs on "serious" a little bit. This is coming to you from a person who often is a super big hardass and loves heavy roleplay, but still plays on Paradise despite someone running around as "Bobby Hill" to stomach knee people with "sleeping carp" whilst yelling "I DON'T KNOW YOU".

I think people should be able to name their characters whatever they want as long as it isn't some profanity [spoiler2]Did i write that correctly?[/spoiler2] so video game, fantasy and tv-show names are fine.

But i do think however that creating your own character is one of the best aspects of the game, i have a bartender character named Bart Ender for example and it's always funny to see how long it takes people to get the joke. So things like that are awesome, but i see no problem in using the name of fictional characters.

Allowing obvious (and I mean obvious) reference names results, unilaterally in a drop in quality when it comes to roleplay. This can't really be argued, and there's a good reason almost all serious roleplay servers heavily enforce this rule even if it's not stated as being one.

With that said, this isn't High RP, and even "High RP" on SS13 is a far cry from what it could be or what "High RP" elsewhere is.

I don't think Paradise particularly loses anything by allowing reference names, since we're not marketing ourselves to people who roleplay in any serious fashion (or at all) in the first place.

I've never liked seeing people name themselves after very popular characters, it's quite immersion breaking and discourages people thinking up unique characters when they can just call themselves "Nathan Drake" or something and be fine, also agreeing with Shadey's point that it drops RP quality. It's just a personal preference of mine and I'm sure many don't share it, though.

Sorry for any offense. The entire line about bright colors and fursuits was mostly poking fun. I didn't mean to come across as a dick (but I clearly did), but my frustration following a handful of rounds, which prompted this thread, manifested itself in a lot of comments I didn't think out too well. I know it's not a serious thing and Paradise has been doing more than fine, and I didn't intend to imply it had gone downhill, it was a smaller issue that I blew out of proportion. Tired, long day, blah-di-blah. Just wanted to apologize on that front and furthermore state that I appreciate everything you've all done to make Paradise something cool, and for replying to this in spite of my rudeness. I should have been more tactful.

At any rate, I understand that SS13 is a silly game that gives way to ridiculousness, and the potential for names that come with it. That said, it reaches a point where it becomes intolerable to the nth degree. It's not something I've dealt with every ten rounds or so, it's been every round, and it hasn't been only me who's seen this. It also wasn't just a recent issue. And maybe it can be attributed to the greytide, since they seem to be the ones naming themselves after references in the first place, but it does become difficult to enjoy the round and the experience. The players utilizing these names, in the instances I played with them, weren't playing to interact and do something, they were playing for the joke, and interacted as typical greytide does.

And maybe it's just my personal boiling point on dealing with this specific issue, although from who I've talked to there are plenty of people that would agree to some extent that the fantasy names and other sorts can be taxing. It's completely arguable that as a server you have bigger fish to fry, and this is a small issue, which at the end of the day, fine, I can try to learn how to stomach doing surgery on walking memes. But if your server is dedicated to even a minuscule amount of RP, and it is, then it's worth promoting the use of original characters.

And granted, I took things too seriously for someone who clearly hasn't been playing very often, but I do dig Paradise, I started here years ago, it's one of the few servers I used to enjoy. I obviously can't find the same level of roleplay on Hippie or Goon, and Aurora and Polaris are too stiff. Paradise has always been the one server you can find a high pop and good balance of RP, and it's why I've enjoyed it. But I'd be lying if I said there weren't issues with the server that keep me away from it sometimes, and others who I've talked to, and this was one of those issues we talk about. Which is why I felt the need to voice my frustration in the form of a suggestion after coming back to give Paradise another try. And again, I'm sorry for not presenting my argument with more care and instead proceeding to make an asshat of myself.

Anyhow, that's my more rational two cents. Sorry again for the trouble. I do feel bad. Hopefully we can keep talking about this.

The main thing I'm not seeing from this is the distinction of playing a character with a fantasy/game name to play that character and playing a character with a fantasy/game name that acts on their own. Fox McCloud, Bulma Briefs, and a few of the more notable characters named after something else are notable because of how they didn't play as that character alone. More often than not, it's an actual character developed on top of some base, sometimes taken from the source, sometimes made up entirely, leaving the name by itself. The thing isn't just that I don't think it makes sense to put in, but it's also because I wouldn't feel comfortable enforcing it on the people who are doing nothing wrong with it. While the argument could be made that "Why not just kick out the ones causing a problem?" The issue would then become one of "How come X could be named this but I was temp banned for having name Y from the same show?" It'd be unequal enforcement, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of keeping people happy.

I can't get the frustration simply because I've never experienced anything character related that I've ever hated, which is the reason for my lenient responses in both this thread and the "Reasonable character colors" thread.

If it were up to me there'd be a script that auto re-names people with reference names to ones from the Sumerian kings list.

It's a bit of non issue, that said though nothing is more pissant than a particularly stupid name.

Then again it is 25XX, I'd be more surprised if there were still Harrys and Veronicas running around.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use