Maintenance Drones

Bradstein

At the minute, the limits on Maintenance Drones are way too restrictive in my opinion.

First of all, they can't pull anything. This causes many problems in many different ways. One example is if a machine blocks a tile where a wall needs to be built to prevent a breach, then the drone is incapable of moving it and the breach will continue. Since they are also unable to communicate and get help, there is literally nothing they can do at this point. This means they are unable to do the only thing they can do, which is build or fix shit, in similar scenarios. Either allow the drones to communicate with the AI at the very least, or let them pull things. Given they can carry 50 sheets of glass, you'd think they'd at least be able to pull one sheet of glass.

Secondly, I think they should be given the constructor that Engineering borgs have, as well as the floor painter. It just makes building things a lot easier, and being able to paint the floor just makes the place look better. I also think a pen should be added to them, so they able to name new rooms/airlocks (etc) which they have made.

Thanks.

First of all, they can't pull anything.

This will cause more problems then it would allow them to fix anything. It would allow players to run up and pull something away from someone who is trying to do something. Yes the player in question will get Jobbanned, but he already stopped the antag from killing his target or he pulled the nuke away from Nukies if you make it restrictive to Machines. There's not many instances where there would be a breach that needs to be repaired but a machine is in the way. It feels very niche.

Secondly, I think they should be given the constructor that Engineering borgs have, as well as the floor painter. It just makes building things a lot easier, and being able to paint the floor just makes the place look better. I also think a pen should be added to them, so they able to name new rooms/airlocks (etc) which they have made.

No. You chose not to play in the round, you don't get a free "I'm off to goof off and make my own thing" spawn. Not to mention the drone's entire purpose is to be a station repairer, not to build on the station. That room you are building might cause problems for someone else in a round. A good example of it is the old bar area. That is a good spot for S.Lings. to go and make a crude base of operations, but because a maintence drone decided to make the place pretty, there's now lights everywhere.

This will cause more problems then it would allow them to fix anything. It would allow players to run up and pull something away from someone who is trying to do something. Yes the player in question will get Jobbanned, but he already stopped the antag from killing his target or he pulled the nuke away from Nukies if you make it restrictive to Machines. There's not many instances where there would be a breach that needs to be repaired but a machine is in the way. It feels very niche.

Your first point makes no sense to me... As... Well... There are countless other ways a Drone could stop an antag from doing their thing without the ability to pull, so you may as well just remove the ability to play a drone entirely.

No. You chose not to play in the round, you don't get a free "I'm off to goof off and make my own thing" spawn. Not to mention the drone's entire purpose is to be a station repairer, not to build on the station. That room you are building might cause problems for someone else in a round. A good example of it is the old bar area. That is a good spot for S.Lings. to go and make a crude base of operations, but because a maintence drone decided to make the place pretty, there's now lights everywhere.

As for your second point.. Allow me to just point out that one of their laws is to "Improve the station", not just repair it when things go wrong. By the example you've given, then installing lights COULD hinder Shadowlings in the future, if it even a sling round, so don't ever install lights at all. Anything, absolutely anything a drone does will impact an antag in some way. If they're repairing something, they're probably repairing something done by an antag (such as a bomb). By repairing that damage, the drone is interfering with and hindering the antag's efforts. If they can't repair damage done by an antag, because that's involving themselves with an antag, then that will leave a drone will pretty much nothing to do aside from repairing some minor damage to windows and the usual engineering maintenance. That's when the improvement law becomes necessary, as it gives the drone something to do without directly affecting anyone negatively.

Just going to point my bit in here.

Drones aren't intended to be borgs, they aren't big. they're about like half the size of your head in the form of a spider-ish apperance.

they're intended to merely repair, clean and power the station as much as they could. the only times they could actually build anything would be the aftermath of a 300 water and potassium mix by cargo.

They're also very easy to kill as just swiping a ID card on them shuts them down. (unless emagged.) Or if killswitch them from the engineering / engi-sat satellite.

Drones can't do anything at all to really stop an antag, infact it's more of the opposite. They can easily help antags to their work without even realizing it at times. An example of this would be it deciding to clean out a recent bloodsport and security decided to be unresponsive and not show up. So the prints and all traces are gone other than maybe left behind debris and that's about it.

Or have the Antag simply Emag the drone to have it as it's own tiny killing machine which strikes fear into everyone.

As for your second point.. Allow me to just point out that one of their laws is to "Improve the station", not just repair it when things go wrong. By the example you've given, then installing lights COULD hinder Shadowlings in the future, if it even a sling round, so don't ever install lights at all. Anything, absolutely anything a drone does will impact an antag in some way. If they're repairing something, they're probably repairing something done by an antag (such as a bomb). By repairing that damage, the drone is interfering with and hindering the antag's efforts. If they can't repair damage done by an antag, because that's involving themselves with an antag, then that will leave a drone will pretty much nothing to do aside from repairing some minor damage to windows and the usual engineering maintenance. That's when the improvement law becomes necessary, as it gives the drone something to do without directly affecting anyone negatively.

Technically the drone isn't being a direct hidnerance in the light situation, if the sling decides to smash a light and run off far away. which the drone can easily return to replace it. It's a dick move but they can technically do it as long as it abides their lawset. as Theres no one there and it's technically damaged property of the station. Slings also don't have it bad either, literally all they need to do is to simply just use their shutoff ability where the lights go out but don't break. It's more along the shadowlings fault for deciding the smash them giving anyone with a light replacer the time to swap it out and run before they return.

As long as they aren't being direct or even in-direct ways of antagging like mis-clicking or purposely spamming the science lockdown blast doors. If the antag damages the station, they repair the station. they aren't co-ensiding with anyone, they're just simply doing their Job.

Allowing the ability to pull is a bad idea.

The admins already have had to step in and ban multiple people from spawning in as mobs (ie: pets) for validing antags by pulling things to, or away from them.

Maintenance drones are god awful annoying 90% of the time as is, especially when they're building things and not repairing. I can't tell you how many times I've had to pick them up and throw them out of the room because they're being a blatant nuisance.

With all do respect to paradise community, i can tell you this, we got hole bunch of shit rules in this community for gods know what.

in short, we got bunch of shity players, who don't know shit to do, but only thing they are good at, is reading forum and complaining, and basically if you move one peace of metal or help someone they think you should not, they will start to attack with complains and cry so hard that there is no psychical strength that can stand them, and they had to give up, and turn game up side down.

That kind of people killed, engineering, atmospheric, drones, full space gravity and air wind system, that they could change game in to, hot date Sims livings or life, you will mostly see does people playing security and torturing people around the station because you had show some rude behave to them, because they are solving rage problems they could not in real life.

Like one wise guy on this forum sad: 100 Rules in short are basically, "Stay away and don't do much of shit"!

Let drones wear hats!

I would adore this.

From tg experience you can. Basically, any hat including helmets though only applies to biosuits rad suits etc. Not hardsuit helms unless chamleon.

Solution:Code drones being able to wear hats and give them a chameleon hat since drones can be naughty and steal muh captains space armor hat

If let them wear pumpkins (do we even have pumpkins in the game?) and you guys will already have sprites for them, courtesy of me.

jack_o__drone_by_mrrogueace-d9f21cn.png

Also, you guys should remove the sechud and medhud they have...

That's a good way to ruin somebody's round.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use