Reasonable Character Colors

SomeGuy9283

Ok, I know right off the bat this is gonna be a salt farm, but here goes:

So, you'll notice that the character creation menu offer a wide variety of obscene colors to adorn your character with. Well, that's all good and well, except that it is tantamount to saying they are genetically that color. We have a barber with hair dye, ya know. For all the inconvenience it may mean to characters with ICly dyed hair, there needs to be some safeguard against neon cats/foxes/lizards, etc.

*Hides in anti-salt bunker*

Ok, I know right off the bat this is gonna be a salt farm, but here goes:

So, you'll notice that the character creation menu offer a wide variety of obscene colors to adorn your character with. Well, that's all good and well, except that it is tantamount to saying they are genetically that color. We have a barber with hair dye, ya know. For all the inconvenience it may mean to characters with ICly dyed hair, there needs to be some safeguard against neon cats/foxes/lizards, etc.

*Hides in anti-salt bunker*

The problem with this is that blocking neon green (IE: by limiting contrast) will also block light pinks which are relatively inoffensive.

I'd be in favour of this if you could manage to describe a method of limiting colour selection without cutting actual nice-looking colours (which will be very difficult).

Either way I don't think this'll ever become a reality.

I don't understand the need for a safe guard. We're not high RP or anything. People should be able to choose whatever color they want for their characters/races.

And barber's a karma occuption.. Making people rely on them just to get some colored hair sounds like a bad idea.

Well, think of it as reasonable naming, but preemptive.

We don't even really HAVE reasonable naming. Have you seen some of the shit people name their characters? I really see zero need or reason for this outside of 'I personally dislike it'.

You're right in that it probably doesn't need to be implemented. If you want to be a pink cat-person, more power to you. However, to those whom read this, I only ask you consider being sensible about your name and character. But, mechanically, I cede that this is not really something that can be implemented.

Only YOU can stop low-RP

I don't really understand why people want to limit customization of what are supposed to be "alien" species. In a setting where there's cloning, geneticists, spooky magic and strange chemicals that can instantly grow beards/change hair colors/revive the dead it seems silly to pick at the idea that a species that isn't from earth would naturally (or perhaps dye/genetically modify) their fur/scales/skin/hair to be more exotic.

Plenty of people dye their hair an assortment of unusual/weird colors these days irl. It would probably be much much more common in spess/the future when you consider that you can just go to a geneticist and have them alter your UI to be whatever you want.

I can think of a great reason to restrict them- they look hideous. Who wants a station full of Joseph's amazing Technicolor fursuits?

I think there are far bigger issues than people having characters with unusual colors, names and clothing choices. The quality of "RP" doesn't suffer because of weird colors/names/cosmetics it suffers because of the way people choose to play/neglect their roles. Restricting colors wont make the RP better if the core issue still remains.

Do we limit human haircolors then? should all IPCs be forced into 'factory' colors? Who decides what is reasonable and what isnt? Are "realistic only" colors the first step? Should we crack down on memes and unrealistic names as well? I can think of quite a lot of regular players that have names that probably wouldn't be acceptable in a work environment.

Most of the regular players I've seen that have unusual colors don't have obnoxiously vibrant/saturated colors unless it's been intentionally to rile people up or due to genetics/the barber dying everyone. I cant think of many situations where the number of characters with unusual colors exceeded the number of people of that species that had natural ones.

The quality of the ss13 experience is reduced by lurid colours.

Frankly, shit like maid costumes, lurid colours, fursuit characters and cat ears all pander to the worst kind of player. This isn't about how good or bad your RP is, it's about how aesthetically horrible those things are and how they attract the worst kind of players.

The quality of the ss13 experience is reduced by lurid colours.

Frankly, shit like maid costumes, lurid colours, fursuit characters and cat ears all pander to the worst kind of player. This isn't about how good or bad your RP is, it's about how aesthetically horrible those things are and how they attract the worst kind of players.

I fully trust Dank Droid on setting our standard for the quality of an SS13 experience.

If you don't like silly or otherwise odd things, SS13 probably isn't entirely the game for you in the first place. It's the biggest mash of memes and references in pretty much any game out there. Getting annoyed over people that like to wear or otherwise use those kinds of styles says more about what you're looking for in a server than anything. Paradise (and many other servers) have had these things since forever and you don't see it doing poorly. If it attracts the "worst kind of players", it sure does then say something about how it's one of the most populated servers out there with so many unique hits.

"Aesthetically horrible" is entirely a matter of opinion and completely irrelevant to the kind of player it attracts. I'm not the biggest fan of these styles but you don't see me going around and calling anyone that enjoys them the "worst" kind of player. I can think of maybe three people that semi-commonly do any of the things you're against. I'd love if you could point out more than three people (with evidence) that regularly play, of the entire community, that use these "lurid colors." You're blatantly against a specific stereotype. Don't try to hide it or blame it on the colors and outfits. Blame it on this mysterious type of player that shows up more rarely than a blue moon.

You've clearly missed one of the main points of my argument, which is that individuality for its own sack is one of the greatest cancers in ss13. I don't mind silly RP, provided it is done spontaneously., And is done with character interaction, rather than shitty fetish gear or whatever.

And yes, I agree that dank droid is not someone who you should look to for RP standards because he's a shitty forced meme and an awful character.

And as for players, I'll point to those IPC players who run snowflake cliques and have lurid colours, yet still somehow manage to go under the radar for reasons unknown to me.

You've clearly missed one of the main points of my argument, which is that individuality for its own sack is one of the greatest cancers in ss13. I don't mind silly RP, provided it is done spontaneously., And is done with character interaction, rather than shitty fetish gear or whatever.

And yes, I agree that dank droid is not someone who you should look to for RP standards because he's a shitty forced meme and an awful character.

And as for players, I'll point to those IPC players who run snowflake cliques and have lurid colours, yet still somehow manage to go under the radar for reasons unknown to me.

Clear contradictions aside where you call your own character the greatest cancer in SS13, people who select high-contrast colours typically do it on purpose to be an eyesore rather than to be a snowflake. Trip Fuzzball comes in mind. He's lime-green on purpose, and he's also stupid on purpose (Daniel Huren himself will attest to this).

We're medium RP and to proclaim that "individuality for it's own sake" is the greatest cancer SS13 has ever faced just tells me you've never played on any roleplay server at any given time outside of this one, ever. It's literally a ubiquitous issue in junior-level writing, and even competent writers fall to this trap occasionally.

People have been poking fun at this with webcomics and other mediums since the internet first became a thing.

Clearly peculiar colors are the true pertinent cause of ills and problems in SS13 and not the condescending, hostile, and trollish behaviors a lot of our players (even regulars) routinely engage in.

Clearly peculiar colors are the true pertinent cause of ills and problems in SS13 and not the condescending, hostile, and trollish behaviors a lot of our players (even regulars) routinely engage in.

To be fair, saying neutrally, the peculiar colors are part of the reason that happens.

To be fair, saying neutrally, the peculiar colors are part of the reason that happens.

Peculiar colors don't make people condescending, hostile, and trollish; it won't matter what colors you can select, those people are still going to act that way no matter what Want to know how I know? Because at one point in time you couldn't select any colors like that, and guess what--shocker, there were still assholes then, too.

Likewise, if you're approaching this from the inverse and saying that "if there weren't any peculiar colors then there wouldn't be that toxic behavior" is ridiculous. If someone is treating someone poorly because the color of someone's character it's the person doing the poor treating and not the person with the peculiar color that is the problem.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be, but alot of people tend to do what you're saying because of it. It won't remove it and people will be assholes, but alot of people only seem to be an asshole cos of the reason we're talking about. Whether or not who the problem is.

I'll just state something in relation to the first post. Please just leave cosmetics alone for a while. Take solace in the fact that, if they choose to strip naked and run around pointing to how neon they are, you can arrest them for indecent exposure. Also, do note that character color is such an inconsequential thing in the big picture, and doesn't seem like much of an issue aside from the pet peeve side of things. I don't believe that character color has to do with the general attitude of the player.

Peculiar colors don't make people condescending, hostile, and trollish; it won't matter what colors you can select, those people are still going to act that way no matter what Want to know how I know? Because at one point in time you couldn't select any colors like that, and guess what--shocker, there were still assholes then, too.

Likewise, if you're approaching this from the inverse and saying that "if there weren't any peculiar colors then there wouldn't be that toxic behavior" is ridiculous. If someone is treating someone poorly because the color of someone's character it's the person doing the poor treating and not the person with the peculiar color that is the problem.

So much this. Who really fucking cares what colour someone is?

From a "realism/immurshion" standpoint - the idea that people wouldn't be dying their hair/fur in 2500+ is ridiculous. What's reasonable, anyway? Only colours naturally occurring on earth species? Earth mammals? Is the Cyberiad the only place in the galaxy with hair dye?

This isn't about realism or anything though. This is about complaining about other people. It's about feeling superior to them.

No, the worst kinds of players are those who make the environment toxic. They're the kinds who barely even play on the server but clog up the discord and forums with either outright hostility or passive aggression. I'd take 10 neon-green tajaran who are at least nice to others, in exchange for 1 of those players.

Well, ever since the Anime Genemodding Fad of 2112, bright coloured hair, stuttering, large eyes, or whatever else has become somewhat common in the gene pool.

Remember folks - If you love your children, don't get anime gene mods. Catgirl ears might be a recessive trait, but all you need is the wrong genetics a few hundred years down the line and they pop right back up again.

t all you need is the wrong genetics a few hundred years down the line and they pop right back up again.

Don't forget hemophilia, overbites, and double-chins, Emperor.

I've never liked the look of a lot of the weird coloured furs but I'd never say it was a problem. It's something that should really be handled in character. Dont like the way someone looks? Say it IC could lead to some RP.

I've never liked the look of a lot of the weird coloured furs but I'd never say it was a problem. It's something that should really be handled in character. Dont like the way someone looks? Say it IC could lead to some RP.

Have to agree here. You can be a bright neon green Tajaran all you want, but just be prepared for someone asshole (Derth) to come up to you in game and call you a radioactive furbeast.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use