Remove access requirement from post-roundstart RnD Consoles

swaggaboy112

It sucks that you need Science access in order to use an RnD Console you built yourself, if you go to the trouble of getting the boards (tech storage/co-op with Science) and parts for RnD machinery (cannibalizing existing machinery/co-op with Science) you should be able to actually use the console. Yes you can emag the RnD Console to lift the access requirement, but I don't think you should need an emag to do this. It would allow the Engineers to build their own RnD stuff for projects without having to bug anyone, and would also allow for situations like the non-traitor antag Jani/Chef/Botanist/etc. being able to print themselves guns (if they get the materials and research). You could justify it in-game by saying that roundstart consoles are locked by the RD/NT, and constructed ones are not.

I do not believe that it's possible to do this, unless you make a separate machine subtype specifically for that console. Someone who knows the code better can confirm or deny it.

Not to mention that would remove the access requirement on the Round-start console as well just by screwdrivering it, completely ruining the purpose of having it.

I do not believe that it's possible to do this, unless you make a separate machine subtype specifically for that console. Someone who knows the code better can confirm or deny it.

Not to mention that would remove the access requirement on the Round-start console as well just by screwdrivering it, completely ruining the purpose of having it.

I don't know much about the code but maybe the roundstart robotics/mechanic/experimentor/rnd/gateway consoles could be kept the same, but the Circuit Imprinter (and Tech Storage board) prints a different machine board codewise which is exactly the same but the resultant machine has no lock?

-Snip-

I don't know much about the code but maybe the roundstart robotics/mechanic/experimentor/rnd/gateway consoles could be kept the same, but the Circuit Imprinter (and Tech Storage board) prints a different machine board codewise which is exactly the same but the resultant machine has no lock?

That's exactly what I mean when I said about the subtype.

-Snip-

That's exactly what I mean when I said about the subtype.

Ah alright, had a feeling I was just reiterating what you said lol

The most elegant solution here would be to have a different board that utilizes the same code, and have the part of the code which checks your ID (To see if you have access) check the board type prior to executing.

In normal programming language, this'd be as straightforward as an else if ladder.

if (board == 'normalnerdboard')

{

blahblahblah check ID priveleges.

}

else

restofcodehere.

In BYOND spooky language, who knows - but it shouldn't be difficult.

Queue the hypersensitive and totally not hypocritical community members declaring that if you had a valid reason to use the RnD Console you'd already have access or an emag.

I don't think we should restrict everything a traitor can do to a sequencer.

I think people should keep in mind that you need to steal and set up *two* boards (A prolathe, and a console) in order for it to mean anything, which will already take a fair amount of time (especially considering the proximity of tech storage, to engineering and the NT Rep's office, where at least one person is almost always sitting).

A sequencer should be a valid option and quick way to get results for traitors, not a requirement.

For reference, my proposed solution of having a different board would also prevent screwdrivering the roundstart console to remove it's access restriction.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use