Crawling for the Legless [Mechanic Change]

froz-t

Not sure whether this will meet a lot of controversy, but I figured it ought to be voiced, since I have experience with the topic.

On occasions, I play Stumpy the Pirate, a paraplegic alcoholic who believes he's a pirate captain. The majority of the station enjoys his company, as well as the concept of his gimmick, from the feedback I've received IC and OOC.

However, there is always someone around who enjoys unbuckling Stumpy from his wheelchair, and while I agree it can be really funny, if the assailant were to drag away or disassemble the chair, the handicapped player must rely on someone to take pity on them, or else just accept whatever will happen to them now, being left on the floor.

Where is the logic in it, that someone who lacks legs cannot crawl/use items when they have perfectly usable arms and hands? Surely, they would at the very least be able to crawl, perhaps at a Diona's speed, and use items in their bag, or at least be limited to what they can use/when they can use them.

I don't know if this would be a large mechanic to implement, but I would think that anyone playing as a paraplegic would appreciate this change. I'm not asking to remove the ability to escape when unbuckled, because obviously, having signed up with the disability, you should be prepared for the consequences. That said, I don't think unbuckled players should be entirely helpless on the floor, other than screaming into their radio for assistance.

Another relevant example, as Stumpy the Captain, the bridge was isolated from Escape by a large breach in the hallway, so we set up a teleporter. I had my space suit on, but my wheelchair would not fit. They unbuckled me and threw me through, but it was uncalibrated. Regardless of having a jetpack on my back, I could not operate it, and was stuck floating in space with internals.

I know that Hippie has a crawling system for people in crit, and it deals damage when they crawl. That said, if such a feature were implemented for disabled players, I don't think that they should take damage, but perhaps we could port the crawling system. Just note, I'm okay with the pseudo-stun remaining for when you buckle/unbuckle a player from the chair, that is completely fair.

We used to have a crawling thing for people with no legs. They were just slower and couldn't hold items. I'd like to see it brought back.

We had it for awhile.

I think it was removed because of a bug, or conflict with another feature.

Then it never got added back.

This really isn't feasible to implement. A lot is tied to a lying mob, allowing them to move is asking for trouble- if it's even possible to do without giving literally everyone the ability to crawl.

It's very possible.

We've had this exact feature before, and what's wrong with giving everyone the ability to crawl, anyways?

We've had this exact feature before, and what's wrong with giving everyone the ability to crawl, anyways?

People getting in and out of cargo easily... and other stuff I can't think of right now.

If we're implementing this then I want the X ray machine bag scanner thingy in arrivals.

People getting in and out of cargo easily...

...it's called disposals

We have *crawl verb on Tau Ceti. Its fun and often used feature. Assistants also master the combat use of it - they can dive on the ground and roll away from taser balls with that infuriating newbies in security.

And security/paramedic also often crawl inside cargo to get corpses came from disposals, miners often use ripley flaps to get outside without using slow working airlocks.

+1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use