Remove research console ID lock/check

GelatinousGlob

All the good shit is now in lockboxes, research even has window shutters, there is no longer any reason for an ID locked computer.

Possibly making it so the RD can lock it to science only if he wishes. I think it is pretty shitty that even an engineer that gets allt he parts and builds research equipment can't use it without a science ID which negates any reason or purpose to building it since they can just go work in science. It wasn't ever a problem in the first place that I know of. Only a few people theorycrafting about randoms printing themselves guns on their hidden protolathe, but that isn't a problem with lockboxes which are even harder to get access to than research. Engineering building their own protolathe was always fun, great for autism forts, and helps balance against science's power.

If they don't want engineering to make their own protolathe for some reason they can just deny the parts needed or have a head take the boards from tech storage.

It used to be a common thing for people to break into R&D and print off all the cool stuff/steal all the parts and make their own version, which isn't really a bad thing but then salty nerds started doing shit like wiping the research server after they got their own toys and this was all considered okay because it was all IC.

If console locking were a bit more intuitive it'd be fine though, lockboxes were brought in mainly so we didn't get !!gun!! science every damn round anyway it's kinda overkill to have ID locked consoles too.

You actually can't wipe the server from RnD or Robotics, you need to break into the server room to do that proper,and wipe both the robotics and RnD computers to ensure it sticks.

While I was originally for the lock, I've had a change of heart as it didn't really do what it was meant to do (for me at least), in stopping robotics from taking supplies or hoarding materials, the players still will hoard what ever they want and if they are assholes enough to steal materials from RnD machines they are assholes enough to destruct and even steal machines do to RnD themselves. The lock should be at the door, not the computer.

The lock should be at the door, not the computer.

This isn't an ideal solution, because as you mentioned if they're assholes they'll do whatever they need to get the materials, including break down a wall. What happens after that? Oh hey, now the tide can get in, oh and now they're wasting what little materials we have remaining.

An ID lock is the best way to protect against the tide/non-intended personnel using the console, plain and simple.

Also, just because weapons are lockboxed doesn't mean that there isn't a ton of strong/powergamey shit in the protolathe. Everyone likes to shit on science players as being powergamey assholes, but in the hands of the tide it'd be infinitely worse.

That being said, I'm not necessarily against machines that are built after round-start being unlocked, as long as that does come at the cost of the security of the original.

This was never really "added". The feature itself was broken this entire time, they were always meant to have the locks.

And like what many people said, people would just break down the windows to get in to make toys if no one stopped them. You shouldn't have to close down all of Science just to keep people from getting into one room.

This was never really "added". The feature itself was broken this entire time, they were always meant to have the locks.

A little yes, a little no. They were there and removed, but the way they were removed (intentional) was....a bit silly, so...

That said, I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the locks go "poof". On the other...ehh...I dunnnnnooooo.

Would it be possible to make new built R&D stations lack the lock or start unlocked at least? That would be enough to get rid of any of my problems really.

Also I do understand you don't want people busting into science but the same could be said of nearly every department including all of science's sub departments like toxins and chem lab. Personally, I don't think people breaking in is really much of a problem. They have shutters on the front window, people can hear doors being forced open. AI and others can easily bolt the intruder in there without warning trapping them for security.

What kind of powergaming stuff are you worried about getting out? Nearly any and every item not in a lockbox will be given no questions asked by science personnel. If science is so obviously powerful and broken to make even the threat of someone getting inside a game ending problem then science itself has a problem.

So if someone were able to construct all the stuff necessary to use it, or go to the plasma planet outpost (I think that has a full R&D setup) they can use that there to print whatever they want, providing they have the materials?

What can you print that is unlocked and powerful/game changing?

So if someone were able to construct all the stuff necessary to use it, or go to the plasma planet outpost (I think that has a full R&D setup) they can use that there to print whatever they want, providing they have the materials?

What can you print that is unlocked and powerful/game changing?

Circuit boards.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use