Slime people ventcrawl.

Shadeykins

Slime people ventcrawl.  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Additional forum vote, based off https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/5119

Just to gather extra feedback on a controversial PR.

This was removed when ventcrawling brought up a list of places to literally instantly teleport to. With the new ventcrawling system, this isn't the case: They have to navigate the pipes, and they can be seriously injured by the air inside of them.

The only way I would possibly be for this is if the "waterproof" vents / scrubbers as discussed on the PR were added and put in secure areas (captain's office, brig, etc.) otherwise it'll be Revenge of the Tide.

It's worth reminding people before this goes on too long: The original Slimey vent-crawl was removed WAAAAAAY Back in the day, back when Vent-crawling was an instant teleport.

Vent crawling is NOT that anymore, not only must you manually work your way to a location, but you have to account for the atmosphere inside the pipes. I don't own slimes so I can't claim to know what they can and cannot survive, but bear in mind, pipe shenanigans could be -lethal- or be made lethal to pretty outright ICly disable such abilities.

In addition keep in mind that slime people are a 100 45 karma unlock (thanks Flattest, was thinking of plasmaman.) Presumably the person playing them has enough time played on the server to not fall into your average greytide shenanigans. They'll only use ventcrawling for advanced greytide shenanigans!

Edited by Guest

The atmospherics system will by default within around ten minutes make all pipes on the station lethal to anyone inside them, unless they're resistant to pressure.

This change would encourage Slime People atmos techs to make the system non-functional for the sake of their slimey shenanigans while the station chokes on CO2 and salt.

Also, they're a 45KP unlock

The only way I would possibly be for this is if the "waterproof" vents / scrubbers as discussed on the PR were added and put in secure areas (captain's office, brig, etc.) otherwise it'll be Revenge of the Tide.

Friendly reminder that the atmos syndicate item is literally a jumpsuit that let's you vent crawl. Definitely against any changes that devalue traitor items or make them redundant.

Slimes should just have their karma cost reduced. At best the ability to squeeze through unbolted doors t-1000 style. Giving slimes the ability to vent crawl will make them sec proof.

Let's not forget the nightmare that was dreadweaver giving themself vent crawl to tide.

No

Nooo

NOOOOO!

I was around at the time to witness slime people in their OP glory, even with instantaneousness aside vent crawling is way up there with vox leap in terms of "shit non antags should never ever have".

Bring this in and I guarantee you we will see a plague of slime players lolcrawling into every secure location there is grabbing all the good stuff and disposaling themselves, just like in the bad old days.

I like this.

I made a thread for putting laser security in vents that lead to secure areas, so you couldnt get through any choke points that lead to departments and you wont be getting out of the brig cells at all.

With the exception of the command department, each one of their rooms has a laser grid right next to every entry/exit vent so you could crawl past them but cant get inside.

While human sized crew cant get past them, things like mice, monkies(changeling ones too),crabs,etc can, and xenos will suffer some scorchmarks.

The thing is, if an APC doesnt have enough power for a door, then it wont have enough power for the vents either, which shuts it off.

But if a door is unpowered, would you rather crawl through some dangerous vents to get past it, or just use a crowbar.

I'm down for ventcrawling, but if it's dangerous, then there's the problem of people dying in vents. Good luck getting that body back.

I'm down for ventcrawling, but if it's dangerous, then there's the problem of people dying in vents. Good luck getting that body back.

That's the risk you take/price of ventcrawling, IMO.

You can only go a short distance/can't do it when seriously injured because you'd just die in the pipe.

Slimes should just have their karma cost reduced. At best the ability to squeeze through unbolted doors t-1000 style. Giving slimes the ability to vent crawl will make them sec proof.

This sounds even worse to be honest.

piz don't ventcrawl ... it just doesn't make sense. slimes aren't pressure resistant as xenos for example. if I remember my days at atomsia the pressure in the pipes can get to 2000-2400 Kpa (which is a lot). So no ventcrawling.

As long as they can only squeeze through doors naked, they'd put themselves at a disadvantage to use it. The ai and borgs can bolt a foor remotely, they can't seal vent.

I'm also not sure that vent crawling leaves forensic evidence, but slime residue on a door would be an obvious sign. Bolted or welded doors would keep them out.

The metagame potential for ventcrawling is ridiculous. Aside from it being stupidly easy to get into atmos and tinker with the pumps to keed the pressure right, there is no way to track a person in the pipes, slime people are just going to hang out in the pies and harass people, validhunt by watching anyone suspicous and if your kill target is a slime good luck finding them if they are idling in the bar vents where you can't find them, it'll lead to traitors intentionally fucking up atmos to drive out slimes or kill many people not on their objectives.

With door squeezing, none of this an issue. No people randomly breaking into atmos so they can have a free peeping maze, no infinite evasion of sec and antag, the ai can better track people, and drones, swarmers, xenos and anyother ventcrawling mob/antag isn't getting premptively screwed because departments are welding their vents round start to keep out annoying or shitter slimes

As long as they can only squeeze through doors naked, they'd put themselves at a disadvantage to use it. The ai and borgs can bolt a foor remotely, they can't seal vent.

I'm also not sure that vent crawling leaves forensic evidence, but slime residue on a door would be an obvious sign. Bolted or welded doors would keep them out.

The metagame potential for ventcrawling is ridiculous. Aside from it being stupidly easy to get into atmos and tinker with the pumps to keed the pressure right, there is no way to track a person in the pipes, slime people are just going to hang out in the pies and harass people, validhunt by watching anyone suspicous and if your kill target is a slime good luck finding them if they are idling in the bar vents where you can't find them, it'll lead to traitors intentionally fucking up atmos to drive out slimes or kill many people not on their objectives.

With door squeezing, none of this an issue. No people randomly breaking into atmos so they can have a free peeping maze, no infinite evasion of sec and antag, the ai can better track people, and drones, swarmers, xenos and anyother ventcrawling mob/antag isn't getting premptively screwed because departments are welding their vents round start to keep out annoying or shitter slimes

This guy has a point.

And slimes shouldnt be able to get through the reinforced windoors in the brig cells.

Well. That all makes sense to me, I guess. Wouldn't oppose it if that was decision instead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use