Bring the nuke back.

Kluys

Should the nuke return  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking about the nuke lately and its removal from the xeno/blob events/gamemodes.

The pros to this removal is that both gamemodes don't have an end round button that can feel sort of unfair towards the antags. (In a minor way because the crew doesn't exacly win doing this either)

My main issue with this is that the nuke took a lot of roleplay with it when it was moved to being admin only. I really liked the moments from the past where the heads would be sided on the decision between fighting the ever growing enemy more in the hopes of winning or using the nuke to sacrifice the station for the greater good.

The creation of different teams where people would split between going to fight to the bitter end while others worked on getting the nuke set and evacuating.

Not to forget the feeling when you are the chosen person to set it and you have to make a daring escape because the AI is putting the station in quarantine.

Problem with it is that comdomand always beelined for it when the gamemode was found out and were always in a position to auto-asplode it when gamma hit.

Unilaterally ending the round should be something kept for the admins to do not people who want to switch the mode (ie: anyone who plays command ever).

I think that can be fixed by deviding the end the round staff over the must win staff by making the nuke a minor loss instead of a minor victory

Well that explains the lack of nukes.

Making it a crew minor loss instead of a crew minor victory could help alleviate the issue.

I'd still like to see manual detonation of the nuke when in possession of the NAD (but not the codes) brought back, along with disarming the nuke.

As far as I'm aware, neither of those things presently work.

the one thing i DO like about the nukes is that it often leads to a situation where the crew still wants to fight, and it basically ends up in a mini revolution of the crew desperately trying to find the command staff to overthrow them and stop the nuke

Yes conflict, Sacrifice, The will to go on or the will to escape! all of it is there with the nuke. As for shadeykinds as far as I am aware manual detonation of the nuke has never been a thing and it shouldn't be, that would be a major griefing tool and as much as I feel like the nuke should happen more often in these desperate cases I also feel like it shouldn't be entirely up to the crew.

Disarming isn't a good idea either, a set nuke should be a huge danger and currently the fact that you can only get rid of it by slowly cutting it loose and then spacing it doesn't just make it hard but it also poses a threat in the form of accidentally having it end up on the asteroid.

I believe at one point (over two years ago) the bulk of the server believed manual detonation was a thing, and to my knowledge nobody even tried until that one time the nuke was broken entirely, meaning nukies couldn't nuke the station.

Mostly it's useful for nukies who've neglected/forgotten to bring the code for the nuke or instances where a nuke is absolutely required but administration is not present.

Either way, I'm in favour of more boom.

wait wait wait... let me get this strait.... Nuke ops was removed because THE HEADS of the station wanted to detonate the nuke themselves [spoiler2],ironic isn't it...[/spoiler2] all because they wanted to see is "Crew Minor Victory"?!?!?!?!

why didn't just job-banned them or something... why I have to suffer?

oh.. then nevermind me.... wait, blob and xeno event? don't they have a chance.. a low chance to happen in the hour and a half mark... and the heads are already in position to auto-blow the station when the xeno/blob threat can't be handled... what can I say except git gud.

oh.. then nevermind me.... wait, blob and xeno event? don't they have a chance.. a low chance to happen in the hour and a half mark... and the heads are already in position to auto-blow the station when the xeno/blob threat can't be handled... what can I say except git gud.

What's annoying is that as soon as the nuke codes became available the nuke was invariably detonated immediately just to deny the blob/xenos greentext out of spite.

Meanwhile People were getting salty over metablobs single lining to critical areas and metaxenos melting important consoles.

Metaxenos still happen on a regular basis.

Blobs have been balanced in such a way that starting anywhere even remotely close to the nuke (in such a high traffic area) guarantees they'll be murdered, and quickly.

Should definitely bring it back.

Destruction of the station should always be considered a crew loss, regardless of whether the crew initiated the destruction or not. It's their job to protect against blobs.

That being said, blob objectives need to be expand. Last I saw blob only needed 250 tiles or so of coverage to win. While this can take a while for a single blob to cover, by comparision the 15x15 screen full of blobs is 225 tiles already, meaning the blob is HARDLY in control of the station, various max caps bombs do more damage to the station than a blob will over the course of a typical blob victory round, station integrity should at least have to fall to 60% before blob can be declared the victor.

It's a bit iffy raising the blob win %, by the time they get near to that big most of the crew will have died trying to stop it/ran away to the mining outpost, they've pretty much achieved critical mass as well it'd only prolong the round needlessly.

Which would be the opposite of what having the nuke again would do, I distinctly remember very few actual blob victories thanks to nuke-happy command staffs.

I always feel it's kind of underwhelming, the blob win %.

I really want that old situation back where most of the station is blob'd, and there are three people or so left making a final stand towards the nuke.

I always feel it's kind of underwhelming, the blob win %.

I really want that old situation back where most of the station is blob'd, and there are three people or so left making a final stand towards the nuke.

Yea but then you run into situations where the blob eats the nuke and then....its time to sit down and wait for it to win.

Plus wasnt it removed from blob because blob was made somewhat weaker and needed less station % to win?

Buff it a bit, honestly. Blob rounds just feel kind of underwhelming now. I really just miss how lethal the gamemode was.

I know there was a discussion a while back about buffing early game blobs a bit while making them need to cover more of the station. Blob rounds only lasting 30-45 minutes at best is underwhelming

Like any RTS just because the blob is big doesn't mean victory is assured, a 500 tile blob is huge but they don't really get notifications of damage so while it might have tons of resources it might not realize a team managed to push through its flank and wipe out its resources and nodes.

Old blobs were kinda fun because the snowball and extra blobs that could be brought in, multiple ERTs and the occasional Death Squad to seal the deal and end a round that had gone on too long. They were chaos but they worth every second of it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use