How do you guys feel about the general direction of Paradise

SpaceTimeNow

-snip-

Ahelp everything and anything that happens to be or look to be rulebreaking and we'll be able to give you action. Don't do what is constantly repeated in deadchat, that being "I would ahelp, but nothing ever gets done about these guys, so I might as well not ahelp at all." The reason why something is rarely done is usually because we never get reports on things we don't see. People will complain about something not getting done in deadchat, yet they seem to ignore the fact that there are often times a number of mins on listening for bwoinks, or that we actually have an ahelp channel in our discord that shows us anything we could have missed as they are reported.

In regards to the rant further, George says it best.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, this makes me feel bad...

Yes, the powergaming needs to be dealt with, but other than that.. I feel ok with being able to do my job and not have some crazy ass shit happen to me.

I been on Hippie for a day once... It was way too much for me, and I didn't like that shifts only lasted an hour.. That, and I barely got to do anything. You spent more time just trying to survive than doing your job, and what fun are jobs like science or engineering if you don't have enough time to do anything? Some jobs take a great deal of time to do, and in the case of some jobs, it is good to have a more peaceful moment so you can make something of it. There is a reason WHY when I get picked for clown or chaplain that I work on doing events for the crew, because I make use of the time I have to set everything up till it is just perfect.. hell, as an antag, I often try to avoid doing antag things until an hour later at most, because I don't want to rush off and do bad things right away.. After all, there is no rush.. You don't need to do your objective ASAP, take your time, relax, and do your job until people can trust you.. And then stab them in the back.

Am I part of the problem? Am I so unrobust that I just end up being a "carebear" who likes to RP more than toolbox people? Am I on the wrong server?

I don't think encouraging the murderbone is a good idea.

^ This. But we should not actually force Roleplay as well. This would not end well. Better add more roleplay options for people who want to roleplay. People must be interested in roleplay themselves.

Farya, what else can we implement that would incentivise roleplay? At this point it's purely up to the playerbase. If people want to roleplay of their own volition, they will. If they want to be P2Wing shitters, they will.

Farya, what else can we implement that would incentivise roleplay? At this point it's purely up to the playerbase. If people want to roleplay of their own volition, they will. If they want to be P2Wing shitters, they will.

Very much this. We been trying to nudge it away from the Powergamer mentality and more to a Roleplay sense with the SoP and Space Law, but even then we have the issue of its entirely up to the community to actually be the change, and that more then likely won't happen due to how many people seem to very much think the game should be "Us versus Them".

Very much this. We been trying to nudge it away from the Powergamer mentality and more to a Roleplay sense with the SoP and Space Law, but even then we have the issue of its entirely up to the community to actually be the change, and that more then likely won't happen due to how many people seem to very much think the game should be "Us versus Them".

Trying to nudge people towards roleplay with strictly IC rules will never work. I'll sum up some quotes and mentality I've seen, from people the community professes to be "good".

"SoP is IC, if it gets in the way I'm ignoring it. Nobody will fire me, and if they try, I have all the guns."

"Change the AI's laws, it's on crewmisov, if it resists blow it."

"Yeah I know the cook dragged a vampire to the chapel to burn, let em go it was just a vamp killed"

"Changelings commit murder to board the station so it's OK to go straight lethals and murder them if you think you caught them"

"I don't care if the admins seed traitor items on the station if I catch non-sec with them their EoC. They don't want an EoC charge they don't touch the emag in maint."

All this tells me is if we can't even get people to go along with some basic IC guidelines, the odds of them properly following IC-impacting OOC guidelines is even lower.

I would like some more roleplay involved into the game. I don't want to impact anyone's fun with super serious chairRP but I do find the greentext hunters and powerplayers to be somewhat detrimental to an otherwise interesting round.

I think you make it yourself a little easy to say it's entirely up to the playerbase. There is pobably no successful RP community out there on the internet which is not sheltered in some way.

By giving players all the freedom in the world you hurt everyone who wants to have a decent level of RP. Even a few players can disrupt the RP of many. Like a Captain that just drags all the antags to the crematorium because "lol changeling". What are you supposed to do, technically the captain can do that, but does he really have to do it every figgin time? To be blunt, I as a player cannot force anyone to maintain a reasonable amount of RP or gtfo, the admin team could.

You changed the rules from "maintain a friendly and welcoming enviroment" and you "you should provide fun for everyone not just yourself" to "please just don't fuck up to much". While Paradise wanted to be Medium RP our rules only require what they call "Minior RP", and what can only be decriped as the very basic guidelines to even remotely be considered a RP server.

The drive towards pure balance and nothing should ever be unbalanced is also a sign for players to throw RP out of the window and utilize ingame mechanics to circumvent RP. Maybe tasers should be totally overpowered, maybe that was by design and a good thing. I also didn't see it at the time, but i do see it now! Catching a bad guy was the easy part, but finding evidence and keep him locked up was the more important bit and now we got a totally overburdened security which barely has time to catch everyone. You even lowered the resist arrest charge and by doing that, you basicly told every player: "Run! Run every frikking time security wants to talk to you. Waste all this time that could be spend talking and RPing with a stupid chase driven by super clunky game mechanics"

Conducting propper investigations is currently out of the question. If you have no investigation you have no evidence, without evidence you can have no trial or discussions, without discussions you have no RP. This is only further amplified by the all around weakned Space Law and reduced timers which are so low that investigations for most crimes are not feasable, why investiage and question like 3 people over 20 minutes if the resulting charge is 15 minutes?

I don't think you can expect "the community" to make everything better if you drive away the RPers and invite all the powergamers.

We've lost almost all of the difficulty to the game. Races which were designed to be un-revivable are now swooped up in 2 minutes, defibbed, and let on their way. If it's too late for a defib, strange reagent.

Level 5 biohazard? It's a blob, hunt through maintenance with an X-ray laser gun, go back to pretending to roleplay.

Who needs the unstable, potentially hazardous Singularity when instead you can get the literally zero-maintenance Tesla?

Actually planning on dealing with a specific race is gone, everything except for IPCs can be killed in just about the same way, unless it's one of the overwhelmingly large population of people who don't care about the air content.

Genetics is just praying to the Random Number God for something that makes you unkillable.

There's no strategy, no conflict, no insane what-the-hell-is-going-on anymore. See an antagonist? Kill it. Incinerate it in the chapel "just to be safe." Piss on the ashes, go back to being half AFK in the bar. If you didn't manage to kill it, and you die? It's not like you're gonna be dead for long. Either wait a minute to be cloned, or respawn as one of many different get-out-of-deadchat-free cards.

Nobody is allowed to make mistakes, roleplay consists of "fit to my standards, or be excluded from the group," and the brig is used maybe once a shift, otherwise antagonists are killed, made into cyborgs, or just incinerated.

I'm guilty of essentially everything I said here, and all of this stuff applies to SS13 in general, but we've been descending into an ordered pattern, when the true glamour of SS13 was that everything was chaos and you're just another redshirt spaceman among it, doomed to die unless you're very lucky.

Going over the thread discussion about RP, I think there's a bit of a catch-22 here:

a) People want less powergaming, and more RP

b)To give room for RP, people want less powergaming.

c) To help create an engaging RP environment, people want more rewarding action and excitement - i.e. less 'bubblewrapping' or 'hugboxing' of certain hazards and dangers.

d) Dying and sitting out of a round for lengthy periods of time really sucks - especially since you aren't going to be RP'ing while you're dead.

e)The more hazardous and dangerous situations there potentially are, the more people will want to take steps not to die to them - thus, powergaming emerges.

Unless it's changed, I'm pretty sure Paradise's slogan when listed is, "the perfect balance of RP and action," which I believe sums our dilemma perfectly: RP and action exist on opposite ends of a spectrum, yet rely on each other to make a truly rewarding SS13 experience.

Action becomes meaningless if there's no RP backdrop to give rhyme and reason to the events taking place; concurrently, RP ends up feeling dry and pointless if there's no action to shake things up from time to time.

What if there was a round in the rotation that rewarded RP? And not Nations. There's no incentive there, no goal, unless it's actively adminbussed.

Imagine how we could win over even the P2Wing shitlers if greentext was awarded based on RP alo... wait a second... I had a thought as I was typing that...

What if... we had a roundtype where greentext WAS awarded by good roleplay alone?

What if, in order to call the shuttle, all the crew has to do is to make a simple decision through voting on their PDA (and it reports who everyone voted for in the last round so you can campaign to those peopke). Something like: "vote for your next Captain" or "select a delegate to be sent to CC to help select the next NT CEO." And until a majority/supermajority/unanimous (I actually think unanimous would be great as people would be pulling their hair out to find X who keeps preventing the vote from passing) vote happens, either the station is crippled (PA console and/or comms console is locked down) and/or the shuttle cannot be called.

It could even be a pointless vote: heads or tails, boxers or briefs. Vote either one, but the vote must be unanimous!

Imagine the sense of accomplishment of getting 50 people to all vote for one thing, by convincing, or because they were set to arrest by the HoS for obstructing the vote and are in a cell with their PDA safely locked away as everyone else votes.

It might be a stupid idea, but I think we might be thinking about this the wrong way - we can get the P2W base to work for us here... all we need is to give them a spoonful of greentext to make the RP medicine go down...

(I get it, my idea as formulated doesn't really include any greentext, but it does create a goal to aspire to, achieveable by RP)

I think maybe it would be nice to have a round-type that's unexpected once in a while. As it is the vast majority of players on Paradise know that "if roundtype = A then do B" and in some ways it has gotten formulaic and stale.

Adding Vamp-Traitor rounds definitely shook things up a bit, and coming up we'll have certain contraband items spawning in maintenance which can also be used by players to cause trouble and confuse the meta somewhat.

My favorite things that happened in-game and actually led to some interesting RP were when various Admins showed up in some out-of-the-ordinary way:

-Genies granting wishes

-X.E.N.O. borgs looking for a home

-Alice the Albino Amalgam teaching magic classes in the vacant office.

And while I wish there was more of that sort of thing I get that doing that stuff can absolutely get in the way of that round's antags.

I've proposed this sort of thing before and I very much feel like it would help keep things interesting. For one day a week Admins can hijack the round and do whatever without fear of repercussions (i.e. Admin Complaints.) I want to clarify this because this has apparently caused some confusion when I brought it up in the past. I get that Game Admins are allowed to mess with the game, but we all know that sometimes that ends up prompting Admin Complaints because someone got their round ruined by adminbus. What I'm proposing is having a single day, once a week, where Admin Complaints regarding in-round adminbus are declared null and void. It should be made VERY CLEAR upon logging in that a player's experience during that round may be vastly different from a standard round. As a sort of conciliation it would be nice if any Admin that kills someone via Adminbus finds some way to bring them back into the round, whether that's via ERT or just allowing them to spawn in as a different character.

As for what Game Admins might do to mess with the game, well I don't even mean just popping into the round as a random character, I mean turn the round on it's head to mess with the entire station. Elysian has, historically, been pretty good at this. As an example, taking Nations rounds and making each department sponsored, giving them gear that matches their sponsors. Playing a Vox Cargo Tech during a Nations round where Cargo was sponsored by the Shoal will forever be one of the highlights of any Nations round I've ever played in! One lucky player even got to play as a Vox Armalis!

I think something like this would have three main benefits:

1) - It would allow Game Admins to try out any silly idea that popped into their head without worrying about it coming around to bite them in the ass if it doesn't work out as well as they'd hoped.

2) - It will be something new and interesting for the players to enjoy that isn't just the same old roundtypes.

3) - It will mess with the meta because even if there is a warning at round start that all Adminbus is valid that doesn't mean Adminbus has to happen. If the antags are doing a fine job of keeping things interesting there's no need for Admins to step in and change anything (but they certainly could if they felt like it!)

---

I really do hope I get to see something like this in the future. Sure there may be technical issues with it, and some players are going to end up upset regardless of how much warning is given and in what form the Adminbus takes place. Overall I think it would be a net positive for the server.

The following's my opinion--take it as is or not, your call.

So i've done my best to try create an environment in game where things aren't 'static', and i'll try and be brutally honest here. This has (and this is speculation by me--I tend to be a bit paranoid at times), caused some issues between what I want to do and some of the upper staff at times and damaged my reputation with them to an extent--reasonably so, which is one of the factors to my latest absence stretch. When I do events, designing or enacting them, half of what my head goes on is not so much the complaints from the people--as I try my best to ensure everyone enjoys themselves. If they don't, then i'll step aside from what I've created to try and cater to them as well--make the player feel a bit more special.

Sometimes, yes, I do go far in what I do--but it's moreover trying to keep things in a shift going, or more excitement. It's not necessarily as much 'damaging on purpose' more or less than the situation I had in mind getting out of hand. But, I digress--back to the topic at hand.

Now. With Keroman's idea--giving the 'free-time' idea to GA's is a sound idea, because I think that we've become too stale in slow rounds. More rounds are being slower overall, less is happening that diversifies this. I feel that giving the air of creativity over to the admins themselves to work with what they can scrap together with game mechanics is a great idea. Adding mechanics, styles to work with helps, definitely. But it delays the sense of 'staleness', in my opinion.

Individualism on the server should be a more focused topic in regards to listening to ideas as to what should go on, or poking at players. Focuses on random people in game tend to create an overall sense of 'difference' about. I'll throw a few examples I did:

- Wryn queen being forcibly married to Valthorne Halibur.

- A.L.I.C.E turning into a tsundre and messing around with Head of Command (or some other AI).

- Soviet Skeletons reminiscing about their great homeland.

- Tutorial Major Honk showing new players the basics of the game.

- Johann Szechepen personally coming to the station several times.

- Central Spy Bureau agent Roy Vasiliev stalking around and being extremely suspicious. (also creating people with the objective 'stalk x')

- Creating horror houses, graveyards, kung-fu dojos, zen gardens, etc.

- The British 1st Line Infantry was a one-time thing where I gave people bolt-action rifles and redcoat stuff, and then made them shoot each other at CC while the crew docked.

- Freedom Ops taking place instead of Nuclear Operatives--as the suits are near-equivalent in resistance.

- Nations 'sponsors' and attempted at rule set--which was received positively on both accounts.

Obviously the list goes on, but I think you get the point. Admin interactions with the server itself shouldn't be limited to 'limited-scale' events and general banning/unbanning. It's understandable that Seniors should be respected more because they've been on the server longer, or are more dedicated to it--but restricting the GA's/TA's (to a lesser extent), stifles creativity and possible enjoyment by the rest of the server. The mentality, in my mere opinion, needs a shift, a more laissez faire approach if you really want something like this. I'm not saying that no restraints should be there--it's just that the feeling of pressure and messing up--getting spoken to by uppers tends to overpower the desire to do more fun things with the server.

This is, of course, a starting opinion--I also think that the staff should be more open to public opinions/desires overall, as without them, there wouldn't be a server really. An established playerbase is good to have, but yes, we come up eventually with a 'staleness' or 'boring' effect, which is natural, given the state and nature of the game itself. We just need to be adaptive and work with one another to get new ideas in the open. It doesn't matter if it's bad or good, or incredible or horrendous--we just need something different.

This event is what took Paradise from good to great for me. I was a new Captain, maybe my second shift. Val was my HoP. Orders came in from CC, I was ordered to marry a queen to come aboard imminently, for the sake of NT's agenda.

When this order came in, my thought was to ahelp "no thanks, I'm uncomfortable with this" and cryo. I didn't feel comfortable RPing at a higher level than I had been.

But I persisted. I called a meeting of the senior staff, told them that I was certainly not going to be forced into such a marriage, and if they didn't support that, I'd resign. I retained command. I gave an impassioned speech about the importance of freedom to choose. The NT Rep and I went back and forth. Johann showed up and was incredulous. I mobilized the station to fight CC over it.

And then, as we were waiting for the death squad to show up, Val stepped forward, against my orders, and offered himself as a husband to the queen, to save the crew. I was in chains at the back of the Chapel as it happened screaming my protests.

I had so much fun that round. That storyline would continue with Val's divorce later on. I made in-game friendships with Val and my BS that round, Kayala Guttieres, among others.

All because I learned to be comfortable RPing at one notch higher.

I think giving admins more creative license and more leeway for the inevitable mistakes is helpful to the community.

For my part, I think Elysian is a master storyteller, and the thought and level of detail he puts into his events is incredible.

This event is what took Paradise from good to great for me. I was a new Captain, maybe my second shift. Val was my HoP. Orders came in from CC, I was ordered to marry a queen to come aboard imminently, for the sake of NT's agenda.

When this order came in, my thought was to ahelp "no thanks, I'm uncomfortable with this" and cryo. I didn't feel comfortable RPing at a higher level than I had been.

But I persisted. I called a meeting of the senior staff, told them that I was certainly not going to be forced into such a marriage, and if they didn't support that, I'd resign. I retained command. I gave an impassioned speech about the importance of freedom to choose. The NT Rep and I went back and forth. Johann showed up and was incredulous. I mobilized the station to fight CC over it.

And then, as we were waiting for the death squad to show up, Val stepped forward, against my orders, and offered himself as a husband to the queen, to save the crew. I was in chains at the back of the Chapel as it happened screaming my protests.

I had so much fun that round. That storyline would continue with Val's divorce later on. I made in-game friendships with Val and my BS that round, Kayala Guttieres, among others.

All because I learned to be comfortable RPing at one notch higher.

I think giving admins more creative license and more leeway for the inevitable mistakes is helpful to the community.

For my part, I think Elysian is a master storyteller, and the thought and level of detail he puts into his events is incredible.

Best part of all that for me, was it gave me something to do that round. I was a Journalist, usually the single most boring, nothing to do, hum-drum job you can get. And that ENTIRE time it gave me free ability to make news reports and updates on the situation, an when the marriage came in, hell I even broadcasted it via the video camera.

Admins having the ability to free-form stuff is the potential for some much needed busting up of the "Same old routine" that people get into, and can get a lot of fun an hilarious shit goin' down. I'd love it if something could happen with it. Not to FORCE admins to do an event every week, but if they wanna do it or have an idea, then have a day where they can freely adminbus around an do something neat they thought up.

Admins having the ability to free-form stuff is the potential for some much needed busting up of the "Same old routine" that people get into, and can get a lot of fun an hilarious shit goin' down. I'd love it if something could happen with it. Not to FORCE admins to do an event every week, but if they wanna do it or have an idea, then have a day where they can freely adminbus around an do something neat they thought up.

There is a not-zero percentage of players who WANT the same old routine. Discover round type, deal with antags, deal with whatever rando even pops up. call the shuttle.

And they are vocal. And they will admin complaint ANY silly thing an admin does, if it remotely impacts them. I'm also going to step on toes, but some of those same types are in the admin staff.

"We can't interfere with the round" is something I hear a lot from admins, and to me, it's sort of silly. To me, interfering with the round is like, the second job admins have, after handling ahelps.

One remedy for that is to make events that are optional for people to jump into, but still really fun.

An example would be an event that (I think it was Elysian that ran this one?) had syndicate operatives with a shitload of good gear, located in the gateway. They were holding important NanoTrasen staff hostage in the room next to the exit out (This was the xenobase mission). The crew could CHOOSE to go through the gateway and fight the operatives, and everyone that participated had a good time/ challenge.

Or another gateway mission event(And also optional) where Elysian hosted a wizard school. Completely optional to those who wanted to attend.

I'm not saying that the only events that should be run must be purely optional, but I am saying that these events generally seem to have quite a bit of success, from what I can tell. And they generally attract those that are willing to roleplay and just have some fun.

[spoiler2]Elysian is really good at hosting events.[/spoiler2]

Wryn queen being forcibly married to Valthorne Halibur.

HoS that round, and I thought it was super boring and an awful event. The concept was alright but the execution was terrible. Without much warning at all, we were pretty much given a message of "Captain is getting married, or you're getting fucking dunked on." Captain decided to be a hero and stand up and refuse. Suddenly CC Specialists with top tier gear being spawned in to detain/murder him if they felt like it. There was no event, it was a single linear story being told. No matter what we would have done the ultimate choice was "Give someone up to get married or I'll keep killing people until someone gets married."

Not to mention the time that Elysian ran an "event" consisting of killing a healthy chunk of the station via "Floor is Lava" with seconds warning.

I don't think every event he has run has been bad by any means, but there is a reason that events were done certain ways in the past. Back when senior was essentially split into Senior, for managing ahelps/players, and Events, for people who wanted to do that and were good at it. Good events are a very particular thing that has to take so many different factors into account. You can't just tell a story, you have to let the story unfold around the players.

Honestly, we need more events. It's the easiest way to promote RP, and it gives more of an immersive feeling that the server's really been lacking recently. Lore needs to be fleshed out, current events happening off-station should have some sort of impact, and a little bit of continuity would be nice. What I've wanted for awhile is scheduled events, and a plot-tracker. If an admin wants to do an event, announcing it a few days before and setting an aprox. time of when it's going to happen would help get more of the community involved. If the event furthers the current plot or has some kind of impact that should be considered a part of the continuity, then a quick summary should be recorded on the forums.

EX: Urist McAdmin wants to do an event where a few bounty hunters show up, with a prisoner in tow. They post on the forums that they're doing an event, and need a few people to participate. The ones chosen to participate are told how to act, what their motives are, and any specific information concerning the character they're going to be RP'ing as. A date is picked for the event, and is marked somewhere on the forums. Event specifics are not revealed, only that an event is going to happen. The event rolls around, things play out, and by the end something has happened that should be kept in the continuity (prisoner was busted out by syndicate agents on board, the prisoner was killed, the prisoner was turned over to CC, whatever happens). The details surrounding the event and it's outcome are revealed on the forums, maybe in the form of a newscast or a NT report. This way, future events can be based off of details of previous ones.

Honestly, we need more events. It's the easiest way to promote RP, and it gives more of an immersive feeling that the server's really been lacking recently. Lore needs to be fleshed out, current events happening off-station should have some sort of impact, and a little bit of continuity would be nice. What I've wanted for awhile is scheduled events, and a plot-tracker. If an admin wants to do an event, announcing it a few days before and setting an aprox. time of when it's going to happen would help get more of the community involved. If the event furthers the current plot or has some kind of impact that should be considered a part of the continuity, then a quick summary should be recorded on the forums.

EX: Urist McAdmin wants to do an event where a few bounty hunters show up, with a prisoner in tow. They post on the forums that they're doing an event, and need a few people to participate. The ones chosen to participate are told how to act, what their motives are, and any specific information concerning the character they're going to be RP'ing as. A date is picked for the event, and is marked somewhere on the forums. Event specifics are not revealed, only that an event is going to happen. The event rolls around, things play out, and by the end something has happened that should be kept in the continuity (prisoner was busted out by syndicate agents on board, the prisoner was killed, the prisoner was turned over to CC, whatever happens). The details surrounding the event and it's outcome are revealed on the forums, maybe in the form of a newscast or a NT report. This way, future events can be based off of details of previous ones.

I had done something like that, asking players the round before if they wanted to participate in an undercover Nuke Ops VIP Kidnapping. It had started pretty well, though a bit of a flop since our VIP, Dave, walked headfirst into the group as soon as they boarded, so we improved and made a negotiation announcement.

Only 2 people cared, the NT Rep and the Captain, the latter of which got captured as well after he tried busting out the VIP. It wasn't a complete waste, the Nuke Ops enjoyed the hostage banter they made up, the VIP and Captain tried to break free twice I believe, but no one else cared, despite us telling command constantly the Captain and VIP were missing, and asking the crew to assist in the search before CC had to pay outrageous funds for both to come back safely

We can't really let a story unfold around the station with the events because the station will completely ignore it. The events that seemed to be well liked are the ones the players can't ignore, so that brings more people in to muddle it up or create their own stories about it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use