Character Customization

fludd12

I feel like more character customization options would be nice. Think of something like Goon's character customization code, where there's two options for hair/accessories that you can mix and match, as well as the perk system which could be used in place of our current disability system. Then, add on a few round-start clothing selections, I 'unno.

Thoughts?

So sort of like a fusion of Goon's system and Bay's loadout system? (Spawning in with certain clothes or other items like a cane, zippo, usually fluff stuff. )

Yeah, that. I didn't realize Bay had a clothing/fluff system.

Yeah, we used to use it on Unbound. Polaris MIGHT have it too, iunno.

You can spawn with things like berets, hats, jackets, specific jumpsuits or shoes.

Items like pAI and a cane or sunglasses and accessories like scarves an stuff.

You have like 5 "Points" to spend on items you spawn with, most things costing one point, but things like pAI units costing more like 4-5.

And certain loadout items don;t spawn unless you have a specific job.

Example being a the Dress version of the Captain's uniform is on the loadout. But you're not gonna have the dress unless you actually SPAWN as the Captain. IF you ARE you get the dress instead of the jumpsuit, etc.

So you can't really use it to spawn with shit you're not meant to have.

Polaris also has it, yes.

Also, I've requested this quite a few number of times, and just about every time I've been told "It's not going to happen." for various reasons.

I still want it.

It'd be REALLY nice to be able to spawn with an outfit on, rather than having to waste time crowding around the vendors, at the very least. Being able to combine hairstyles (And having more of them) would also be quite nice.

If we ever got Polaris' customization system I can't help but feel I'd have to start wearing a jacket from the sheer amount of snowflakes on station.

That being said, out currently disability system is pretty meh, and I certainly wouldn't be against adding more physical changes to character creation (More skrell hairstyles plz)

Customs loadouts? Yes.

Better disabilites and perks? Yes. It would be good. We have myopia(shortsightness) now, but we can also make and opposite farsightness. It would also be interesting to implement asthma, diabetes and other things.

I'm no coder. But I feel like adding perks, while a fun idea, will be needed to be tested a lot for balance reasons and I feel like adding a perk mechanic is a lot of work to do.

Plus I hear that most people here on the server and on this website are not into accepting suggestions that require a lot of "coding" to be implemented in the game. I'm all for this idea, but I feel like it should be looked into before people start thinking about adding it.

But to be honest though, what's the point of having a disability if you don't have the option of having a perk to make up for it? I mean, I get it. Disabilities like "near-sighted" and "obese" are for RP reasons. But still, I find it incredibly pointless how I can't also choose something that gives my character a permanent buff in something. Seriously, give me at least 10 people who use disabilities just for role play purposes. Go on, I dare you. Name 10 people who actually uses disabilities in this game.

That's right. Close to none. Because all it does is give us a weakness and nothing else.

Like say if I'm obese, obviously I won't be able to run a lot. But as a benefit, I can take more physical pain. Almost to the point where my character is wearing the secs body armor. Just without the armor. Or how about if I'm near-sighted, I'm able to see things that the normal naked human eye can't see. The trade off being that I have to be extremely close to see hidden things.

It's stuff like this that make character customization more interesting. You're having to think of "risk versus reward" over this kind of stuff. It makes you think "Can I make my ability work with my disability?" Basically all I'm saying is, give the "disability" mechanic an actual purpose to actually "use" in the game.

Make it to where it also gives us a benefit as a sort of "trade off" mechanic.

That's right. Close to none. Because all it does is give us a weakness and nothing else.

that's literally the entire point, making your character more "unique" while not giving anyone an unfair advantage

On that note I DO wish character select disabilities were a little less.... curable.

Like I have made characters with the mute trait or wheelchair bound chairs and almost immediately people try to give me mutadone or robo legs.

that's literally the entire point, making your character more "unique" while not giving anyone an unfair advantage

I see nothing "unique" about it. Sorry, but I don't.

Maybe some people like a challenge.

Having to roleplay and survive on a space station where you could be killed at any moment and having to learn and do your assigned job on the station is challenging enough and I also see nothing "challenging" about having a disability either.

That's entirely your opinion, however, and that's fine. Some people find the game harder than others.

Other people, however, like to use them for various reasons, although generally it's to challenge themselves.

And I see no problem with that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use