Putting duct tape on people's mouths

Ayylmaoxdxd

Currently duct tape is only used for sticking papers on walls, and little more. Some time ago I adminhelped if it could be use to silence someone, wrapping it on their mouth all around their head.

This would be great, and would make duct tape interesting to antags at last. It should take a few seconds to do, like 5 seconds or so.

Discuss below!

Where DO you get duct tape actually? Cause I'm liking this.

I think Cargo probably has a few rolls laying around the disposals room. I think there's one in the dorms on the Needlessly Large Table. Primary tool storage has at least one I think. They're alll around, just usually ignored since they serve little practical purpose. Though it's worth testing that, since you can use them to put tape on pieces of paper to stick them to walls and windows and such, if you can photocopy your ass and use it to cover the walls.

Still though, they're around. I think it's just labeled as "tape roll" or something like that. Looks like duct tape.

Where DO you get duct tape actually? Cause I'm liking this.

I think Cargo probably has a few rolls laying around the disposals room. I think there's one in the dorms on the Needlessly Large Table. Primary tool storage has at least one I think. They're alll around, just usually ignored since they serve little practical purpose. Though it's worth testing that, since you can use them to put tape on pieces of paper to stick them to walls and windows and such, if you can photocopy your ass and use it to cover the walls.

Still though, they're around. I think it's just labeled as "tape roll" or something like that. Looks like duct tape.

Oh, if it's easily accessible, I can see this being put to good use. +1!

I know it's not adhesive, but I imagine one could also use security tape to wrap around someones head and mouth. Would take much longer than duct tape but same effect.

I'd imagine it'd be that you need a cutting item to get a strip from the roll and then you can apply it into the mouth slot.

I believe this would be the easiest way to implement this and those that manage to free their hands can rip it off and talk again.

(new ideas coming in)

Just thought that instead of straight up silence, everything you say would be reworded to a bunch of MMPH or grunts or something along that line (whisper range too?). Gives someone a bit of hope, more so if they wormed their way to a radio with a mic on.

Also removes facial hair when ripped off ( because funny?).

IC this just makes sense to be able to use tape in this manner.

OOC, would it be abused?

If this is added in, the tape should last indefinitely until it is manually removed.

Stunprod+Zipties+tape=fun time ;)

But really, it is annoying that a person can scream like a banshee when your abducting them and you can't even shove your sweaty sock into their mouth to shut them up. You need to either get a muzzle, very few in the game, wait for a chemical to knock them out/mute them, start choking the guy out, or beat his face in; but the last two may conflict with your actual goal with what you intend to do with him and or you can't do it on the run.

Have adminhelped this also and gotten the same answer, only to stick up papers...

I have heard that on some servers, i do not know if goon or tg, duct tape CAN be used as a tool to silence people. It would be a great tool in antags arsenal and maybe for even security to shut someone up fast ( they have other means). But just imagine, no more fiddling around with EMP to short out the headset to stop their screams of terror for you. Stun, Cuff and tape. Maybe someone who writes fast can give out name (gasmask and remove id) , location (are you really gonna eat someone in RnD?) Or look (chamelion suit or just have a spare jumpsuit). Would benefit stuff quite a bit and duct tape never gets used anyway. Who the hell goes around sticking up papers anyway? *cough* clown sticking up shots of his ass. *cough*

This makes a ton of sense.

Perhaps you have to target someone's mouth with the targeting box for it to work.

Honestly, crude duct tape restraints should be possible too. Of course, if duct tape were to become useful for just taping up signs and antag use, players would meta the hell out of tape and dispose of all the station's tape rolls in the first 10 minutes of the shift.

If duct tape on mouths becomes a thing, something else that isn't antag related should be added for tape as well, something important. Perhaps shipping crates through disposals requires wrapping paper THEN tape to complete, not just paper.

inb4 balance argument.

I should point out that, contrary to popular belief, it's ridiculously easy to get regular tape off your mouth. Having done that myself, can confirm it's a matter of just opening your mouth wide and chewing on the damned thing.

I should point out that, contrary to popular belief, it's ridiculously easy to get regular tape off your mouth. Having done that myself, can confirm it's a matter of just opening your mouth wide and chewing on the damned thing.

At this point I'm just curious. Is "regular" tape scotch tape that you put in those little office rollers or the huge silver-colored duct tape? I'm think it's duct tape because one strip of scotch tape is too small to cover a mouth, but I'd like confirmation.

EDIT: Can confirm. Duct tape not OP. Very UP, in fact. I opened my mouth wide and pushed out with my tongue. Free in three seconds, if even that long.

At this point I'm just curious. Is "regular" tape scotch tape that you put in those little office rollers or the huge silver-colored duct tape? I'm think it's duct tape because one strip of scotch tape is too small to cover a mouth, but I'd like confirmation.

EDIT: Can confirm. Duct tape not OP. Very UP, in fact. I opened my mouth wide and pushed out with my tongue. Free in three seconds, if even that long.

I was going to bring that up.

Even if you just breath heavily the moisture from your mouth would eventually get it off.

Thats why you don't just use a 'piece' of tape. You gotta wind that stuff around their head a couple times at the very least. Better yet, shove something in their mouth like a sock to muffle them then put a couple winds of ducttape around their head to keep it there. Course, this just makes the whole process take much longer and stripping the headset probably would be easier at that point. Might as well just add a mechanic to stuff an item into their mouth instead.

This has brought up my thought of being able to resist out of being duct taped. If you are cuffed and taped then what do you resist out of? Could you by this point decide which? Would that extend if you are cuffed to a chair/pipe and/or feet cuffed?

I still think duct taping would be good even if technically not strong. This does make it harder to balance. As-is it's too weak but give it a little and it might become too strong. Can't have that. Maybe balance it out with a short tape to silence quickly or wrapped tape that gives them a little time to scream before being silenced. Also should allow for short-range screams so that you aren't completely silent but way more quiet than before. You can't be completely helpless

This has brought up my thought of being able to resist out of being duct taped. If you are cuffed and taped then what do you resist out of? Could you by this point decide which? Would that extend if you are cuffed to a chair/pipe and/or feet cuffed?

Maybe have a duct tape be a "mask" slot item (internals, gasmask, mime/clown mask etc.). You will not be able to resist, but with free hands, you can just remove it like you would remove a mask, but maybe just like zipties, once you remove it, i cannot be reused.

Pretty sure if you wrapped duct tape 10 times(Which is hardly part of the roll) around your head to cover your mouth, and your hands are tied, I don't think that is coming off easy.

So a duct tape gag that can be applied after five seconds with a tape roll but instantly removed with free hands should be a thing. Any other thoughts?

Pretty sure if you wrapped duct tape 10 times(Which is hardly part of the roll) around your head to cover your mouth, and your hands are tied, I don't think that is coming off easy.

So a duct tape gag that can be applied after five seconds with a tape roll but instantly removed with free hands should be a thing. Any other thoughts?

This does make a lot of sense. Just to clarify, the tape roll despawns totally after the five seconds? My one thought is that it would be easier at this point to just remove headset, but this also prevents screaming (which is a million times louder now in every case thanks to an update) and speech in general. I think this idea is balanced, or close enough to it.

+1

I suppose, if the time it took to put the tape around someone would equal, or surpass, the amount of time it took to remove their headset, the balance argument could be circumvented.

To be honest tape rolls should have infinite uses( I would say limit it, but that be annoying for coding and its just mouth gagging which can be removed instantly if you are not tied). Have you seen a brand new roll of duct tape? They literally could tape a hundred mouths shut.

And again, only saying for tape to gag people because only a few things can properly do that. Not saying it should be used for tying people up seeing we got cable cuffs for that and various other restraints.

Edit: And the application time of tape should be the same as taking a radio headset off.

Removing a taped head should inflict minor brute damage (5 to 10) on the head - and you automatically get a crew-cut haircut.

That stuff stings, and would pull out a ton of hair!

Maybe if you wrap their entire head ahaha. That be funny though, I just imagine a Vox doing that to everyone for a crew cut station.

Maybe make you scream when you rip the tape wrapped around your mouth?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use