[POLL]Slime people fragile/boneless limbs?

Crazylemon

Should slime people have boneless, but fragile, limbs?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would love to have boneless slime people, but that might be too much of a buff. I recall this was a feature originally in the slime person changes PR that got rejected due to being overpowered. I'd instead suggest the limb regrowth ability be buffed to also be able to fix bones, or better yet, another ability that is slightly faster, perhaps 30 seconds, and with a much lower nutrition cost, that fixes the bones instead. That way, the slime people can still suffer the debuffs of broken bones and will still be viable to weakening and such in combat, but they don't need to go to surgery to repair them (but still can if they're starving).

Alternatively giving them a slow passive bone regen would be kinda cool.

Regrowing limbs and a slow passive bone regen at the cost of easier breaking of bones/removing limbs? Sounds pretty nice to me. But I'd still like to wager around the ideal of slimes just having limbs generally removed easier at the cost of no bones, like an IPC and of course there's the all important your head can be removed easier as well but what if you strengthen just the head? Move the core to the chest, I have no idea. I'm still thinking of varying ways to balance it out but keep the bones removed all around. If I come up with any I'll get back to it.

What if, by removing all of the limbs and the head of a slime person, it turned into a xenobiology slime that had to eat to regrow its limbs and turn back human?

What if, by removing all of the limbs and the head of a slime person, it turned into a xenobiology slime that had to eat to regrow its limbs and turn back human?

Not sure how they should work without a head though. I think they should go into crit/hard crit except automatically regrow the head in time and if they can't because lack of nutrients they slowly die.

Yeah, if their core is in their chest then how would head removal work? As for turning them into simple slimes again you got advanced mutagen for that

The way the limbs were "fragile", were that the limbs would fully disintegrate when capped on damage, leaving nothing behind. Would this address the concern about the condition being too easily treatable?

The way the limbs were "fragile", were that the limbs would fully disintegrate when capped on damage, leaving nothing behind. Would this address the concern about the condition being too easily treatable?

That sounds nice and reasonable. However can you transplant them then? Not that you probably should but I kind of like that it can be done

You can just slap limbs back on now, broken bones actually need some surgery to fix.

Big buff on a race that does not need a buff at all.

Nope.

Couldn't have said it better, myself.

In most cases where people lose limbs or break bones, they're bound to get a few infections or potentially internal bleeding, still facilitating a need to get to the medbay and possibly have surgery after conflicts. The nutrition costs and general time needed for limb replacement keeps it from being used all the time/in combat, and I think the idea of having the limbs disintegrate shortly after being lost would be a great addition regardless of what happens. Not having bones wouldn't really tip too much in their favor or be anything but a convenience, especially if they lose limbs quicker. The main reason people are suggesting this is for thematic reasons anyway. Bones in their slimes don't make sense.

Or, you know, allow their bones to be regenerated like in my previous comment, to leave the debuffs for combat but letting them forgo the surgery for a broken hand or two. If you get royally fucked up by something and have lots of broken bones you're heading to surgery regardless.

Depends how exactly we handle 'boneless'. Would the arm/leg be destroyed entirely? Falling off and not being reattachable, requiring several minutes (and tons of nutriment) to regrow? How would this effect cuffing/binding? Being uncuffable by stabbing your arm repeatedly with a screwdriver would be pretty OP.

Would it act broken and unusable, causing lots of pain and draining away hunger as the arm slowly refills and reinflates? Would this process be interruptible (break a slimes arm, wait a while and attack it again) or would Slimes just magically be able to shrug off all damage if given long enough to wait (like Diona.) Really kinda shocked how people are saying that giving a Karma race the ability to regenerate wounds would be overpowered when we already have a default race that does this

This idea needs to be fleshed out more with details on specifics before anyone can say it's OP or balanced.

I'd be fine with slime people having bones that disintegrate when you lop off and having to regen them, but having to sit still for several minutes with pain damage and massive removal of nutrition while being left vulnerable to attacks (Could possibly add in clone damage for any limbs regenerated, so that it could be fixed by medbay, would probably be a good way to deal with something that, if used in combat, would make them ridiculous to fight against. The argument over cuffing and security, however, makes a lot of sense, as it would be the equivalent of somebody repeatedly biting their hands to break them, thus shedding the cuffs. Good luck on that one.

when we already have a default race that does this

Yes, and they suffer the biggest downside in the game because of it, too.

Diona suffer from PlantBGone, a chemical I've never seen anybody use to kill a Diona, damage in darkness, and a movement speed debuff.

Diona's upsides are that they are space proof for the most part (slap on a firesuit and a hat if you have to worry about pressure) regenerate in any amount of light, have their own language, no bleeding, more powerful punches (that cause bleed), basically immune to radiation, and no pain crit.

Plant B Gone isn't a commonly used chemical in terms of fighting somebody, and I rarely get to see it used at all unless there are vines about.

In comparison to something that has a near equally disruptive downside, IPCs are weak to EMPs, which are fairly common when dealing with most antags, the singulo, an ion gun, any form of EMP grenade, etc.. I more commonly see EMPs used while observing or in gameplay than I see PlantBGone, albeit I'd give the benefit of the doubt for there not being nearly as many Diona players as players of almost any other race except Kidans.

In terms of Greys, if this actually works, they're weak to water. One of the most, if not the most common chemical in the game due to the slew of water tanks and fire extinguishers. Water acting as sulfuric acid can do plenty of burn damage to a grey, so long as they're unprotected from it.

Plasmamen need to wear a suit and breathe plasma or they burn up quickly, which, if they need to be killed, can be removed, and similarly, Vox need a breath mask.

This isn't to say that the Diona doesn't have a large downside, but more to say that in terms of common use of their downside, it's not really a much abused one. Traitors rarely use PlantBGone. It doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, or even that the downside means nothing, as I might simply be missing its use.

That said, the proposition here is that unlike the ability for a Diona to regenerate constantly, a slime person would have to wait a number of minutes to regrow a deformed limb, lose most of their hunger, and gain pain damage.

As someone who exclusively plays Diona, I understand why they're so rare.

Being slow is a massive downside for many positions, and their benefits are basically radiation immune (rare outside of engineering and rad storms), spaceproof (immune to cold and low pressure) don't have bones that can be broken, feel no pain, and heal rapidly in light (given that pda light is enough, this should be at 100% uptime)

They have a number of positions they are horrible choices for. Sec officer requires mobility, engineering and mining already supply a hardsuit which replicates many of the benefits of being Diona.

I generally see maybe 2 Diona on the station during NA nights, and they rarely take on head roles. Plant b gone is easy to get, there's a supply near arrivals if a traitor needed to kill one, and given their naming convention it'd be easy to know.

In my mind Diona function best in a support role in departments that don't get hardsuit access. Janitor is a great and popular job for diona because they have a cart for mobility and if there is an explosion they can work alongside the engineers cleaning up.

Point being, I don't think slimes having boneless limbs would be too much of an issue. The main downside to slimes is that they cannot be cloned, whereas diona can. Regenerating limbs or not it's not that difficult to beat a slime to death, and then they're dead forever.

As long as the regeneration takes time and has a penalty attached to it (think soft crit speed nerf) I don't see an issue with it, as it would be such an ass pain to deal with Slimes would avoid it where possible. Maybe drinking water could speed the regen up a bit (5u at a time) as the regen time would basically be their membrane reforming and fluid refilling the limb. Though, we'd be talking excessive amounts of water or food, no eating a donk pocket or beef jerky and being back to full.

Unlike Diona, this wouldn't be actual damage negation with near constant regeneration, so they wouldn't need any more significant nerfs/debuffs attached to it, a 'broken' limb would be unuseable and with aforementioned pain means that Slimes would be pretty poor in combat/escaping it if they get seriously injured.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use