Get rid of Bags of Holding spawning singularities

Cupcakes_n_Hacksaws

What exactly is the point of this mechanic, anyway? It can't be to prevent infinite storage, since you could simply just make it impossible to put one into another, or delete it when you attempt to. Why a singularity? All it does is ruin the entire round, especially if an admin can't get to it in time. IIRC, there's not even any examine text referencing it either, so new players wouldn't think twice about placing it in one.

Writing this up because of a round today, where I was doing fairly well in research. Maxed, upgraded everything around the station, handed out equipment. And then I accidentally forgot to drop the bag in my hand, before picking up another, spawning another singularity, destroying all of research. Just like that, a simple misclick destroyed an entire department, more damage than any plasma bomb could do. I was even warned by the the admins to not do it again. It's such an easy mistake to make, so why does it result in catastrophe akin to the worst grief?

I propose simply making one unable to place a bag of holding into another, or simply delete it instead of spawning a god dang singularity. The negatives outweigh any positives ten fold.

I would prefer if it instantly gibs you and then turns you into a corgi than a Singularity.

DnD can rot in hell for all I care.

The negatives outweigh any positives ten fold.

It's been debated already.

Your argument is deemed invalid because:

a) BoH in BoH is a fancy reference that is loved by our coders. It is so old that it's basically become an argumentum ad antiquitatem.

b) BoH in BoH is balanced. Balanced against bans.

Sorry, but as you can see, your argument is invalid.

I have to say that while I don't think the Bag of Holding (or Belt of Holding, Mining Satchel of Holding, Janitor's Trash Bag of Holding, etc.) should be removed there should absolutely be some tweaks to the functionality of the items.

Maybe trying to put one inside another gives you a message that, "The Bag of Holding seems to resist being put inside the Bag of Holding!" but if you try again you can overcome the resistance, much like you can push together two magnets of the same polarity despite the resistance (if they're weak enough magnets).

Alternately maybe instead of spawning a singularity with just one bag inside another bag what if there needs to be something else in the "containing" bag? Maybe some plasma? A source of radiation? Something to jumpstart the singularity rather than just, "WELP here's two bluespace bags in close contact so I guess it's showtime!"

Another option is for any item "of Holding" is locked from being created in the protolathe. That way only department heads with the correct access can make them. Then if someone gets their hands on two it's as much the RD's fault as the person who actively put one inside the other. As it stands everybody in Science short of the Roboticists have the ability to make them once the correct research level is reached.

I'm saying this all as a self-confessed player who accidentally let a singulo loose a few nights ago right near the end of a relatively quiet shift. I'm still crazy sorry about all that.

I've been wanting this gone for a very long time but apparently the D&D reference is far too important to remove a literally round ending feature that commonly gets all the admins pissed off that anyone did it.

Yeah, I guess I was lucky that I was mid traitor round when I accidentally set mine loose, even if it did prevent me from completing one out of two objectives. Mods told me I was fine but that in the future I should be more careful when handling the bags and to ahelp before intentionally creating one since it lags the server so badly.

With the mining update and such a huge population I can agree, not remove it but replace it with a different effect.

I like the idea of bluespace translocation and perhaps spawn a rift in spacetime?

The problem with doing away with the singularity spawning effect entirely is that that's a viable tool for traitors to use for certain objectives, even if makes the server machine billow out black smoke. Like I said, I feel like putting something else into one bag of holding in addition to the another bag of holding would make sense. Some sort of power or energy source that can feed a fledgling singularity enough to grow.

The problem is, no objective needs to use it, honestly.

To hijack the shuttle? Just hope it doesn't reach the shuttle.

Escape alive and free? Good luck.

Kill ONE DUDE? Jesus Christ read the fucking rule on playing antags responsibly you right madman.

- 1 if someone do it then the admins will deal it to see if it was done if it was accidentally one or done on purpose to grief the round, and that a Traitors can make use of this if they have Die a glorious death and try to kill their target on the shuttle and wipe out the whole crew and have his Traitors friends take pods.

Die a Glorious Death specifically states not to kill until killed.

Spawning a singularity on you to kill like 2/3 the people online is definitely bad, especially if you gotta kill ONE GUY.

I agree that it's overkill in general. Aren't there some antags who have objectives to cause more damage or kill more people than just the Syndicates? I'll freely admit to not being especially familiar with most antag roles.

Also, I definitely saw a traitor the other day set off a suicide bomb in escape at the end of the round before ever being attacked. It was really from way out of nowhere.

Problem with the dnd ref, is it's badly made, it makes a temporary black hole so small it last for less then a second, and swallows everything in the location, having it essentially delete everything in a 3 distance area would honestly be much better.

Could also just make an imploding-gravitational anomaly that deletes what it touches.

It dies out quick enough and would be a good-enough black hole.

How about it spawns a mini-singularity. Does no damage, floats around randomly, never really dies out, sucks up bees and butterflies in the area, can be fed objects that are instantly destroyed forever (portable trashcan from hell). Still keep the cute reference, but makes it a bit less... antagy?

Now see, I agree this is rather pointless, since the opportunity to use it without being banned is very rare indeed.

But I sure as fuck don't want it removed as a result of "I ded plz nerf".

I don't care about dying to the singularity it spawns.

I'm just tired of yelling at players every time they do it, getting the response "I didn't know it would do that.", and warning them, or banning them on lack of response because they scurried off due to being a griefer/being fucking terrified because they spawned a singularity by accident., or people trying to justify using it as an antag when they NEVER use it properly.

Now see, I agree this is rather pointless, since the opportunity to use it without being banned is very rare indeed.

But I sure as fuck don't want it removed as a result of "I ded plz nerf".

I don't care about dying to the singularity it spawns.

I'm just tired of yelling at players every time they do it, getting the response "I didn't know it would do that.", and warning them, or banning them on lack of response because they scurried off due to being a griefer/being fucking terrified because they spawned a singularity by accident., or people trying to justify using it as an antag when they NEVER use it properly.

then why i got ask that this have not removed yet if you won't want anyone to spawn a singularity, you you just going to chew them out and then banhammer them?

then why i got ask that this have not removed yet if you won't want anyone to spawn a singularity, you you just going to chew them out and then banhammer them?

Because 'its been part of teh code forevur an we don wanna remove cuz muh nostalgia'.

Because 'its been part of teh code forevur an we don wanna remove cuz muh nostalgia'.

Which is funny because on other servers like Baystation you get a funny message like "I wouldn't do that if I were you" if you try to put one of the bags inside the other. Why not just do that so the coders can still circlejerk with their funny D&D reference while at the same time removing a round-ending grief feature?

facepalm_227789.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use