Slime People Changes

HereticChurch

I play Slime People almost all the time, and while they're quite fun to use, I do wish they had some things changed about them. At the same time I don't really want them to become as ridiculous as they once were. For a 45 karma race, they don't seem to have changes as radical as the Vox, and their "downside" is easily subverted. As such, I propose these changes. I in no way want all of these changes implemented, I'm just throwing a bunch of ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

- Make them not have bones to break. I don't quite understand why Slime People have bones to begin with. Perhaps making their limbs melt away to nothing once chopped off, or if they take enough damage, and making their limbs unique like robotic limbs. Organic robotics limbs, mechanically? I donno what I'm talking about.

- Make them take more burn damage. Something like 15% or 20% more burn damage.

- Make them not slip on their own 'blood'. It's probably the most annoying thing to die because you slipped on your own blood when running away.

- Make them die from lack of nutrition, similar to the slimes. Perhaps past a threshold of 'blood' loss, they start taking toxin damage.

- Re-add nude ventcrawling. As annoying as it was in the past, with the changes to ventcrawling making people take damage from pressure and not just an instant way to sneak into the captain's office at the round start... I think it would be far more balanced, if still annoying.

- Make losing 'blood' make them lose nutrition. They don't take suffocation damage from lack of blood, so maybe make the stuff that comes out of them take nutrition from them, which would lead in well to the previous suggestion about them dying from lack of nutrition.

- Enhance their unarmed combat. I've no idea how to go about that, but I remember they had a slight damage boost to unarmed due to being better at bludgeoning or something. Give them a martial art that makes them glomp and smash like regular slimes and potentially shock targets.

- Move their slime core to their chest. I think it'd make more sense for their single organ to be in the center mass of their body. Not sure how viable this would be, and I'm not sure whether decapitation should still be lethal or not in this case.

- Make them more susceptible to brain damage? Not sure how this would work.

- Give them the ability to regenerate lost limbs with a special verb. I think this would be cool as fuck, though it would obviously need some extreme balance. Perhaps a large nutrition cost per regenerated limb, and it would take some time to do, uninterrupted of course.

- Give them a minor regeneration ability for brute damage. Something about their membrane reforming or something. Burn damage wouldn't heal, obviously.

- Clone damage resistance? Not sure how many sources of clone damage they can get, seeing as slimes don't tend to try and eat them and they can't be cloned, but it'd make sense with their malleable membrane.

- Brain damage vulnerability? Their slime core must be quite vulnerable, so I'd assume it would take more damage than most other organs. Drugs that have negative effects on the brain would likely do more damage to a core as well.

- Make slime jelly heal them a lot. A niche addition if anything. It'd be neat to get a nice healing chem that would heal really quickly and effectively. Perhaps like omnizine without an OD or give it the healing strength of Nanites.

That's all I can think of for now. Pick and choose what you like. Toss in more ideas if you want. I just want slimes to be more fun.

Edited by Guest

I can say I like pretty much all of these ideas. It's complained that the other races are "too human" so why not just make them so much more different? If someone complains snowflaking then too bad, just make everything reskinned human.

Maybe I'd go against the vent crawling though. Can't see a reason for a humanoid slime to want to do that (except maybe Churchy).

I am against regrowing limbs because I wanted a "Nail Syndrome" that does this bcs DBZ but meh.

If anything I'd think their unarmed melee would be weaker because squish. Maybe a higher chance for knockback/out/stun because squishslap.

Otherwise everything else is great. I might suggest looking at the "blood is nutrition" parts a bit more but I think it all sounds nice.

Now I almost want a slime person character

haha, i know right, I try to suggestion for a new specie, and they were bitching how OP it was, tho it was not, and most of the fun stuff was remove, and it more human like then ever, Hell i gave it mass debuffs too...

In short i feel any New specie suggestions are going to be shoot down with the reason it OP or snowflak or it's not balanced, and now back on topic.

I like some of the change you point out here.

- Re-add nude ventcrawling. As annoying as it was in the past, with the changes to ventcrawling making people take damage from pressure and not just an instant way to sneak into the captain's office at the round start... I think it would be far more balanced, if still annoying.

[/size]

relevant thread about making it less annoying!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5343&p=38560#p38560

EDIT: relevant thread about how to make ventcrawling slime people not be able to get into everywhere all the time!~

- Move their slime core to their chest. I think it'd make more sense for their single organ to be in the center mass of their body. Not sure how viable this would be, and I'm not sure whether decapitation should still be lethal or not in this case.

- Make them more susceptible to brain damage? Not sure how this would work.

- Brain damage vulnerability? Their slime core must be quite vulnerable, so I'd assume it would take more damage than most other organs. Drugs that have negative effects on the brain would likely do more damage to a core as well.

[/size]

This reminds me of a slime person chaplain that can survive in space indefinetely by hitting himself with a bible, that was ridiculously funny.

Edited by Guest

If you dont want slimes to escape from prison, sneak into the armory or whatever, make the vents slime-proof, or add filters in the pipes or something so they cant go everywhere.

- Give them the ability to regenerate lost limbs with a special verb. I think this would be cool as fuck, though it would obviously need some extreme balance. Perhaps a large nutrition cost per regenerated limb, and it would take some time to do, uninterrupted of course.

I love this one the most. I can see fawks frothing over it already. If you want to balance this one make the limbs be very delicate, as in they might fall off if you hit them enough to break a bone in a normal limb.

Also they should be vulnerable to toxins, and drugs and alchohol should have a 10 times stronger effect on them, because they absorb it all instantly like a sponge.

Enhance their unarmed combat. I've no idea how to go about that, but I remember they had a slight damage boost to unarmed due to being better at bludgeoning or something.

Perhaps give them a small chance of doing either clone damage or electrocuting them to fit with the slime theme? Clone damage thing probably wouldn't mean much besides the person fighting them needing to stop by medbay.

Give them the ability to regenerate lost limbs with a special verb. I think this would be cool as fuck, though it would obviously need some extreme balance. Perhaps a large nutrition cost per regenerated limb, and it would take some time to do, uninterrupted of course.

We need this. So badly. Maybe even apply this to the little slimes so that they can "evolve" using consumed nutrients.

Make them die from lack of nutrition, similar to the slimes. Perhaps past a threshold of 'blood' loss, they start taking toxin damage.

I am a little iffy on this one, since I tend to wait around until my hunger's red to actually eat something. I do like the idea of nutrient = blood, though, but maybe make it so they don't actively lose hunger levels unless healing themself or bleeding?

Give them a minor regeneration ability for brute damage. Something about their membrane reforming or something. Burn damage wouldn't heal, obviously.

Just for sanity's sake, make this have a delay before activating, and make this delay restart whenever you're attacked. We really do not need another diona.

Super big proponent for this, though. We could really use some more diversity, especially with how amazingly the recent IPC changes went.

I haven't unlocked Slime People yet as a race but I'm definitely interested after reading about them here.

I thought I'd chime in with an idea. What if Slime People could absorb a small amount of nutrients from slime mobs like the ones in Xenobio? I'm a big proponent of giving that department more to do as I spend plenty of time there and it saddens me when I've got enough metal, plasteel, and plasma sheets to keep the whole station in good repair but nobody comes around asking for any.

In terms of giving non-human races a different option for healing or gaining nutrients I would simply point out Tajarans' mice-eating and IPCs welding or wiring minor damage away.

If a Slime Person needs brute healing but Medbay is too busy because somebody accidentally blew up Chem by mixing up something volatile then they could instead request a few dead slime from Xenobio which they could absorb to recover, say 10-20 brute damage each. Maybe even a little toxin damage as the new slime added to to their body mass lowers the ratio of damaged-to-undamaged tissue. If the amount of healing is reasonable I can't see it being especially OP. And unless the Slime Person worked in Science they would have to cut a deal with the Xenobiologists to get hold of the slimes in the first place.

This will never be added, even if you get someone to do it, cause this is unbalanced, i mean, why not just give slimes godmode.

I mean, yes, I would love for bones to be removed from slimes, BUT bones is basically 80% of the damage system, and only way to fix it, is remove broken bones as a thing, most of the other stuff is basically turning slime into unkillable machines as long as they got food.

Vent crawl was removed for a reason, and the only things i could ever see in slime, is 1. Make slime blood something that can be replaced. 2. Make em not slip on wet floors. 3. Move core to chest. and going on a stretch 4. making em clonable.

This will never be added, even if you get someone to do it, cause this is unbalanced, i mean, why not just give slimes godmode.

I in no way want all of these changes implemented, I'm just throwing a bunch of ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

• 3 weeks later...

Great, now someone who wants this learn how2BYOND because no coder will be arsed to do this. Unless you poke Tiger, but only do it if you don't value your limbs that much.

And do you know why no coder would want to do this? Because after you spend X days coding this thing, on a shitty engine with its own piss-poor coding language, with weird species code which spreads all over the codebase, strange undocumented workarounds and a compiler that is as useful for debugging as your teeth for sculping in marble, then you need to convince the other coders to accept it, each and every one of them with their own version of !!MUH BALANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [insert another 1000 exclamation signs here]

And if you do all of that, it might turn out that while it looked good on paper, it's terrible in practice.

Have fun with that.

• 1 month later...

Sure, I'll look into a few of the things here, like perhaps a limb-regrowth ability, higher dependence on hunger, moving the brain to the torso, and boneless limbs... Once I get a better species-wide special reaction system going, this is on the top of my plate.

• 2 weeks later...

then you need to convince the other coders to accept it, each and every one of them with their own version of !!MUH BALANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [insert another 1000 exclamation signs here]

And if you do all of that, it might turn out that while it looked good on paper, it's terrible in practice.

Have fun with that.

ADR pretty much hit the nail on the head here, thats why I believe the current PR thats up for debate wont pass

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use