Put mechweapons in lockboxes.

Spacemanspark

Everybody knows that the gravitational catapult is the best mech weapon.

Nah that one's cool, I'm more worried about the laser cannons and MG's you can attach to the damn things.

That would help cull the Roboticists that think that making the Giant Death Robottm would mean it's theirs and theirs alone, and not have to listen to security about it.

It would also pretty much mean that roboticists would never build mechs, ever. No point in building a toy you can't really use--another negative side effect is that it would definitely increase the amount of meta when was built (and for sure if one had a weapon).

"So and so is a traitor; he's building a mech that's not a RIPLY!"

That would help cull the Roboticists that think that making the Giant Death Robottm would mean it's theirs and theirs alone, and not have to listen to security about it.

It would also pretty much mean that roboticists would never build mechs, ever. No point in building a toy you can't really use--another negative side effect is that it would definitely increase the amount of meta when was built (and for sure if one had a weapon).

No, let them build the mech, just not the weapons.

The Lockbox's don't keep Scientists from making new weapons, HUDs and other gizmo's for the crew, why would it keep Roboticists from making robots.

The Lockbox's don't keep Scientists from making new weapons, HUDs and other gizmo's for the crew, why would it keep Roboticists from making robots.

Because there's largely no point to combat mechs that lack weapons to begin with. Now roboticists get to spend the entire round waiting to get materials to ....do what? Intrinsic rewards for doing your jobs are nearly always superior to extrinsic ones--just the way people are.

I find it a bit odd that scientists can't print off a stun revolver and use it themselves, but a roboticist can make a phazon with an LMG and laser cannon and ride around firing them with no restrictions.

I find it a bit odd that scientists can't print off a stun revolver and use it themselves, but a roboticist can make a phazon with an LMG and laser cannon and ride around firing them with no restrictions.

Same thing here. A ton of potentially useful materials are stuck in lock boxes that rarely ever get printed or opened. Besides, if it's supposedly "new" technology that you're "researching" why the hell would NT have a pre-made boxing system on a machine that prints and assembles machinery that is new to most standards of the station. You could argue that "If it's in the combat category they automatically scale and create lock boxes", but that's just a little bit odd all the same because the roboticist next door doesn't have his giant mini-gun, laser rifle, grenade launcher, and any number of the other exosuit modules you can print off without running up to a Head of Staff or sec officer saying "Can you give me a death laser that obliterates matter for my mech that phases through material by disassembling and reassembling/ storing them in a pocket dimension and teleporting as it separates its particles through your armory wall?

Or just add the weapon pin system

For robotics only?

Sure.

But not for RnD.

I dont see why not if we had the pin ststem RnD could freely deconstruct guns without troubling somoene goes murderboner with it and if you want to activate a gun you gotta get pins from the armoury

En yeah pins for robotics is fine just give them 1 box of them and the rest must be ordered/or if rnd has very high engineering/mat they should ble able to made at rnd but a high cost

Because there's largely no point to combat mechs that lack weapons to begin with. Now roboticists get to spend the entire round waiting to get materials to ....do what? Intrinsic rewards for doing your jobs are nearly always superior to extrinsic ones--just the way people are.

You focus a LOT more on the "MUH BALANCE" than the actual RP of the game.

I am all for this change, because the combat mechs are meant for security not robotics personal "you can't touch me tool"

If they want their own mech, it is pretty fucking simple. Strike a deal with HoP, get him to open the lockboxes, or give you access to do it.

Are you a traitor? Congratufuckinglations use those OP as fuck emags to open the lockboxes, and you can now frame the warden / HoS / HoP / Captain saying they gave you access

It is not always that the robotics even get to build the combat mechs, they will still build ripleys, firefighters and Odysseus. If they play robotics JUST to get "muh combat mechs" then bad fucking luck, using them would be grief anyways.

I don't like the lockboxes at all but if the RnD ones are here to stay, the robotics ones should be too. To include the mech taser, if the stun revolver is in a lockbox, the mech version should be too.

As for this constant firing pins idea people keep coming up with... I'm sorry but it's just the dumbest, and probably laziest way, I imagine to try and curb rambo science. RP/In character wise, why the hell does a laser weapon have a firing pin, OOC/Mechanics wise, it'd make more sense to require an ID swipe from an armory access ID card or emag to overload the safety lock, there is no reason the pins couldn't be printed from a hacked lathe save for 'MUH BALANCE' cries.

Firing pins are ridiculous.

Great, that Egun you just disarmed from that security officer? Well hey fuck you you can't use it because it's pinned to loyalty implants only.

Firing pins are ridiculous.

Great, that Egun you just disarmed from that security officer? Well hey fuck you you can't use it because it's pinned to loyalty implants only.

That would be the dumbest thing ever. Once a weapon has been armed/activated, it should work for everyone unless it's been manually deactivated/magazine is emptied.

My biggest problem with lockboxes it they make it hard for legit antags to get a hold of weapons WITHOUT targeting the Captain/HoP/HoS/Warden. Revolutions, Changelings, Vampires, Cults. All of them have legit reasons to want a gun to kill a person, especially if they are going loud/nonstealth. Rev miner that spent 30 minutes getting uranium, gold, silver and diamonds? HA HA, can't make that advanced energy gun, have fun with this worthless shield and syringe gun.

Rev's are allowed to kill anyone who is loyalty implanted, and have to kill the command staff. Cults similarly have the option to kill security officers and other loyalty implanted crew if they interfere with their work, changelings seem to do what ever they want, and vampires certainly could benefit from having a stun revolver in their posession. But the only people who don't have Securities permission to get into weapon boxes are the one people who shouldn't need them. Traitors. Unless you have a hijack objective, it's counter intuitive to get these weapons, and risk exposing your traitor status if you leave a lock box somewhere or caught with an RnD weapon in your possession, so why the hell are they the only antags that get this privilege?

Why is not being able to use the things you built a problem? Many departments have to do jobs which are thankless or otherwise have no effect on your round - engineers patching up hullbreaches in chapel, cargo techs ordering whatever for other crew, virology, brig physician, etc.

I've seen Odysseus mechs brought to med plenty of times for just a thank you. Ipc chefs make food. Medbay does surgeries for people. Just because someone doesn't benefit directly from it themselves doesn't mean they won't do it. There are people who won't do anything unless they benefit from it themselves for sure. The term is "selfish asshole" I believe.

It makes a lot of sense to lock up machine guns and laser cannons for mechs the same way machine guns and laser cannons are locked up for the rest of r'n'd. If they really wanna pilot a fully armed mech around they should be getting clearance from security anyway.

I absolutely support this!

But does that mean we would have to lockbox the airhorn?

Yes.

Fuuuuuuuuuck that shit.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use