Comprehensive list of tips for traitors:

Mrs Dobbins

When I said it was comprehensive, I was lying slightly. I intend for this thread to just contain tips for traitors.

I'll start

1. Be polite:

You'd be surprised how far politely asking can get you; remember, a closed mouth does not get fed. There are limits to this. Asking engineering for insulated gloves is probably a bit too far fetched- however, asking (or simply tailing) your way into science or cargo can work.

2. Be efficient: Plan ahead! This is the difference between a validhunter's toolbox and that sweet sweet greentext. Don't blow all of your TCs on a revolver and enough ammo to take down everything in your way, this is both pointless and will make admins and players annoyed. Avoid all unnecessary contact with the law, don't emag one more door than you have to (but feel free to emag APCs, as people meta the fuck out of blue APCs). The less efficient you are with your tools, the more likely you'll slip up and get caught. the same does apply to danger. Efficiently manage how much you expose yourself to danger.

3. Have a plan. Make contingencies, leave TCs in case you find yourself in a sticky situation. If sec is coming after you and your are surrounded, then you will regret having blown all of your TCs on stuff that isn't needed. Be prepared to go off the grid at a moments notice. You should not be stringent with your backup plans.

4. Knowledge. Knowing where to find stuff and how to break in to places is very important. Insulated gloves are as critical everyone says they are, but with enough know-how, it is stupidly easy to get hold of them; engineering storage always has a couple, and you are one false wall away from all-access. There are other ways to get hold of the yellows, but I won't go into that (its more fun to find out for yourself, or spend half a minute in DM).

5. Know your weapons. A toolbox is less effective than it's contents ( but for a single assasination, is a stealthier and cheaper weapon than an e-sword, as it will deal good damage, and if you get a knockdown, GG). A welder does more damage than a toolbox, and due to the fact that it deals burn damage, it does more stamina damage. Often an E-sword is a waste of TC, as improvised weapons are almost as effective with a bit of luck. Make sure you know how to use each tool in your arsenal. No one likes a traitor who attaches a signaler to a bomb after screwing up the settings.

6. dispose of items when done with them. A locker deep in maint, or a cistern of a toilet are places that sec are too stupid to look in. Make sure you scrub any prints or DNA off the items before disposing of them, and then disposing of the soap, just in case there is a detective who is smart enough to find the legholes in his trousers and isn't SSD as having sec come down on you when you lack items is never fun.

7. Space is the best hiding place. There are tonnes of nooks and crannies on the exterior of the station which are practically invisible. If sec are after you, just hide down one of them and pray that the pod pilot is either lazy, lost or being murdered by Buzzsky.

8. Drones are adorable and deadly. Emag them at any opportunity to have an army of adorable little brobots who will murder your target with plasma cutters or get you into the most secure locations like a breeze.

9. Create chaos. The feds can't chase you if they are being poisoned by medibots, slipping on lube or being murdered with lasers by ED-209s.

10. Be creative. Whilst this isn't efficient, blasting your target's head off with a revolver 20 minutes into the round is less fun for all parties involved. In terms of conserving resources, use objects on station, which if used correctly, can easily be as powerful as a revolver to the face. Try poisoning your target or luring them into maint and introducing them to a stunprod or toolbox.

11. Know your objectives. I got antag banned a couple of weeks ago for misunderstanding my objectives and killing someone completely unrelated, so this is important both IC, for reducing your exposure to danger, and OOC, for not killing people that need to be killed. Remember that an protect objective just requires your target to be alive at the end of the round, not matter what limbs they are missing or whether or not they escaped. Stuffing your target into a closet on the engi outpost after cutting off all their limbs and leaving them to rot counts as "protecting your target". Same goes for example objectives. The target does not have to survive, just have a kneecap broken, or lose a limb or whatever, so you can do that and then space them, if you want.

I don't yet have a comprehensive list, so any more tips are welcome.

• 4 months later...

12. LIE YOUR HEART OUT.A good lie can pull your ass out of the fire so quickly.CE dead and your one of the few people working engineering?"I was busy wiring solars." Just be realistic about it.

13. Use other people when you can. Another Traitor is outed and running from the law? Promise them some of your TC's in exchange for getting the brain of that MD you need, don't get your hands dirty when you can convince others to do it for you.

• 2 months later...

14. Know what you can do with your job, a scientist (almost no responsabilities, lots of toys, best traitor job ever) or a chemist can get lots of nasty chems, which you can apply creatively (bottle to the head is great), as a captain you can easily subvert the AI if the upload isn't bolted down and no one is at the bridge, the science outpost has space suits, engineers and miners also have them, meaning they can fuck off into space whenever they want, acid can destroy brains and objects leaving just grey goop behind, as HoP you can give yourself full access (who doesn't anyways?).

15. Interact with people, people are more likely to do what you say if you have been drinking or working with them before instead of a total stranger, a good way to get them to pump chems into them or come to wherever you want to kill them, or straight up trade with you and help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

16. If you are a medical traitor, fill one of those labeled syringes (Charcoal, spaceasillin) with liquid deathmix. Your target is more willing to let you inject if they think they know what's in it.

17. Insulated gloves are overrated, multitools are gold. Just go to the toilets or some other meaningless spot and start testing wires from top to bottom or visa versa. You have 50% chance to find the all-access light before you hit the zappy-owie wire.

18. Always have table parts in your backpack. They can be assembled instantly into some maint tunnel while you run from the law, slows them down tremendously even if they have a wrench.

19. Space lube is great but can be confiscated. Steal the plant'b'gone spray from garden and fill it with water. With 10 unit spray it can make one tile next to you slippery.

20. Break a bone objective? Throw floor tiles at your target until you hear a crack. When the officers arrest you, go all "It was a prank bro! I didn't know they hurt!" Usually you get off with a slap on the wrist while normally doing that objective you get charged with attempted murder.

21. Science traitor? Get a laserpointer and slap the best micro laser you can get into it, blind your target with the guise of being an asshole and offer to get them to medbay. "I'm sorry bro, didn't mean to cause any real harm!" Morgue IS technically in medbay...

22. Are you a slime? Good for you. Carry a glass shard with you and furiously self harm while running from the law, you bleed slippery water everywhere. Fucking slimes...

23. Breaking in somewhere? It is not wise to use any unique piece of clothing that leaves fibers. You can easily be hunted down if the detective found clown outfit fibers on the crime scene. Acid is a great way to destroy clothing items and that kinda stuff.

25. Know thy enemy. Know how robust your target, security, HoS, and AI are. Your biggest potential threat is the ai so if it is robust take great care to deal with it and not get caught

26. Build a lair. Weld down a wall and dislodge it with a crowbar. We all know this trick but sometimes you need to think outside the box (station). What i mean is space suit up, get a tool set and a rcd if your feeling fancy and weld down a load bearing wall away from windows, Build a small room (3x3 is usually good) turn the entrance into a false wall, and fill it with air it using those air pumps outside engineering Only way someone finds it is if you leave it open, the .5% chance they check a load bearing wall for a door or if for some reason they have mesons on. For super ultra sneakiness weld down a reinforced wall and use that instead since they can be hidden. Remember it takes 2 plasteel to build R wall but returns 1 when dismantled and would be near un find able since no one checks reinforced walls for hidden doors. Now you have a murder dungeon/traitor item bank/hideout. Dont forget to disable those suit sensors!

27. Just ask. Need a fancy pair of yellows? Ask cargo for some. Need a RCD and full toolbelt? ask cargo or sci (or just break in), need a object from sci? Just ask. Need a access elevation/job change? just ask. Asking for that ion carbine or rapid syringe gun and if the person at the front isnt a bean counter they might just give it to you and if they say no unless if you order something super dangerous they wont report you to sec. If confronted play dumb. When dealing with cargo bribe them with crates to get what you want.

28. Dont act sketchy. A lot of the time when i do B&E when someone see's me i say hello and continue on my way. If they ask what im doing just say something like "stuff". Unless your breaking into armory or bridge they wont care provided you are not wearing a mask, wearing your ID, and also not trying to run away when caught. Just keep it simple and pretend they are not there.

29. Smuggling. Do you objective and have an emag left over? Hide it! hiding something in a locker in maint just wont cut it because any assistant with half a brain wont pass by a closed locker and just leave it. Put stuff inside a cardboard box and leave it in a locker or a labcoat or a safety vest hell even an toolbox (red toolboxes are the best since they have shit in them and no one bothers with them) since people normally dont bother with those. Maybe even hide something in plain sight. Hide a small item under a pile of lesser items like in a locker or even in the open in a section no one uses like toxins or those engineering lockers. Also you can cut out the inside of a book with wirecutters and hide a small item in there. Take a cyborgs for dumbies and cut it out or a guide to the singularity engine and just leave it in the department it belongs since no one reads those they just use the wiki. If you are ballsy you can hide your gear in a safety vest or lab coat or book and leave it on your person or bag because an unrobust warden might forget about the fact you can hide shit in those items. Hell i was searched by two people in a row with cult items in a safety vest and i got off scott free.

30. Ion weaponry. Want to kidnap someone but cant because they will cry murder over the radio? Simple use a emp weapon. EMP's disable radios and dont harm the target (unless they are idiots and have a mechanical heart/ipc). Not a syndie? Well a bit tougher. You might be able to get a idiot captain/hos/warden to unlock a ion carbine lockbox or even make a emp chem reaction (requires ground up uranium though). If your robust enough you can use ion weapons to make sec weaponry not work. No tazers no batons no flashes no eguns none of that and the average redshirt wouldnt realize his baton is useless until its to late.

31. Destroy that evidence. Cut a camera? dont just leave it there get rid of that damn thing. Cut all wires except alarm (can be discovered via pulsing) and weld-->wrench-->pickup and dispose off. Just feed these to a lathe or leave them in a locker in maint. Remember people notice down cams but dont notice missing cams. To hide other evidence just do this. Flush a disposal and then turn off the pump. It wont recharge so it will never flush and no one ever actually checks them meaning that it is likely in there forever. Going to lure and then murder your target? Cut those intercom wires. Just screwdriver and cut cut cut to make sure that 1% chance it screws you doesnt happen

32. Know your door wires. Get your hands on some yellows? Doors wires have other purposes than just opening. You can cut the door safety wire (check wiring light) and door timing wire to ensure that people would get crushed constantly. Be sure to cut ai control so it doesnt disable it. Get creative with assemblies (those signaler things). Attach one to the electrify wire and disable door bolts. Take a second and tie a timer onto it that activates it every 10 seconds and repeats. Once done screwdriver and activate and hide that thing. People would think AI IS MALF and not check the door (atleast what the commoner would do bonus points for emaging APC's to go along with it). Hell be creative and attach a signaler to your door bolts wire to the door your target would use to escape if he had to run and activate it once he does attempt to escape your homicide attempt.

or if for some reason they have mesons on.

So... every single engineer as well as the miners? That's a sizable chunk of the crew that uses mesons. It helps if you can put it somewhere that less people have access to but I can guarantee that any engineer wandering through maint is going to notice hidden doors. Even as sec there's places I ALWAYS check for hidden doors. I've caught cultists so many times because they go straight for the blocked-off hallway in science maint and put a hidden door that's only reachable via climbing onto the tables because they think nobody bothers doing that.

I also showed your cult base to the detective the other day because 1. I saw it with mesons, and 2. you guys weren't even being subtle about gathering in there as a group so at least 3 people saw you, Cid, and Squeezy going into that area of maint.

No tazers no batons no flashes no eguns none of that

Eh... you're right about tazers and eguns but stun batons will actually hold some charge. I've been hit by an EMP that shut off my headset but my stun baton had 95% charge left (and I hadn't used it at all up to that point.)

-----

While I'm here I'll add to the list.

33. Something I've never seen someone do but I know it can be done: Inject a power cell with plasma and stick it on a stunprod or in a stun baton and then leave it laying around, ideally in a place where your maim/kill target will find it. The next time they zap someone the power cell will explode. If you just have to maim them, congratulations, your job is probably done. If you have to kill them, well, they'll be softened up and much easier to finish off, so make sure you're nearby with a toolbox or some other inconspicuous item to robust them with. Bonus: it'll look like you're just there to protect the person they zapped!

• Like 1

33. Something I've never seen someone do but I know it can be done: Inject a power cell with plasma and stick it on a stunprod or in a stun baton and then leave it laying around, ideally in a place where your maim/kill target will find it. The next time they zap someone the power cell will explode. If you just have to maim them, congratulations, your job is probably done. If you have to kill them, well, they'll be softened up and much easier to finish off, so make sure you're nearby with a toolbox or some other inconspicuous item to robust them with. Bonus: it'll look like you're just there to protect the person they zapped!

Just throw it at them and scream, they think you fucked up your epic attack and in 90% of the cases try to murder your ass with the prod.

Even if they just run away, you can get away with the good old "It was just a prank, mr. officer sir."

Here's a couple:

34: Trust no one, no really, no one.

For every dudebro there's a dozen validz hunters, for every "what's that hissing noise?" arrpeer there's a million "ITS CULT HOLY WATER TO BRIG NOW" detectives, for every well coordinated nuke op squad there is every single other changeling ever.

Don't let that put you off working with others though, just whatever you do, never put yourself in a position of vulnerability, and if they suddenly start typing on their PDA have a stun stick ready.

35: Play on people's meta senses.

Malf AI? the nuke ops just blew up tcomms! sec to tcomms! oh no, the teleporter suddenly stopped working and the whole of sec with all their gear is trapped? better get everyone safely locked inside their departments...

Tator? emag a few APCs and enjoy the ensuring cyborg genocide, or the library computer for that matter, a couple of well placed arcane tomes will throw you completely off sec's radar, a couple of corpses drained of blood (use the sleepers!) dumped somewhere obvious in maint help too, or even just monkeying someone and convincing the chaplain it was a ling.

Vampire? me? last thing I remember is being grabbed by a shadow-like creature in maint with glowy eyes...

Play on people's meta senses.

Tator? emag a few APCs

tbh i've not seen this method of metaplay work once

If they're actually malf they'd be killing you and/or going delta as soon as they hear that they found a blue APC

Unless they're skullfuck retarded that is

They meta the meta :P

As for the shaowling vampire thingy holy hell this is genius

Edited by Guest

tbh i've not seen this method of metaplay work once

If they're actually malf they'd be killing you and/or going delta as soon as they hear that they found a blue APC

Unless they're skullfuck retarded that is

30% of the time, it works every time.

Worst case scenario is people realize there's a gimmicky traitor running around, usually however engineering spend at least 20 minutes figuring out what's going on, not uncommonly at least a few command members/sec officers go loco, and if the RD isn't a veteran player they usually at least lockdown the borgs.

However it goes it's a great distraction, especially if you're a traitor ling :P

35. Learn the art of slight of hand. Know which hands will be visible at which side. Know the handheld sprite size of particular high risk objects. And know how your interactions with them leave notifications. Containers can specifically be operated with even on the ground.

I've managed to survive using this several times. Such as being searched despite having agent card in my backpack by pulling off my back pack and handing it to the HoS at the same time pulling out the card from my satchel, which didn't make a noise. I slipped it into my pocket once he was done stripping me.

33. ... Inject a power cell with plasma and stick it on a stunprod or in a stun baton and then leave it laying around... The next time they zap someone the power cell will explode.

That's so goddamn legit hahahah, I can't believe that's a thing

Does that mean you can sabotage Sec officers' batons by doing the same thing?

36. Always carry around a banana peel, always, if you can snag one. No explanation required.

37. In the event multitools are limited, unavailable or unobtainable and for whatever reason you aren't able to get one from any of the three departments that can produce them,, radio signallers from tool storage and PDA signal cartridges do the exact same thing if you set the signaller to recieve.

Edited by Guest

33. ... Inject a power cell with plasma and stick it on a stunprod or in a stun baton and then leave it laying around... The next time they zap someone the power cell will explode.

That's so goddamn legit hahahah, I can't believe that's a thing

Does that mean you can sabotage Sec officers' batons by doing the same thing?

Since you are able to screwdriver the cell of a baton out, i guess so.

38. Laser pointers are a cyborgs worst nightmare. Once the laser is upgraded it becomes essentially a ranged flash as long as you aim for the eyes. All you have to do is screwdriver it to remove the laser. They can be found in either RD's Office, Library, IAA's Office, or the rewards machine in Cargo (where you purchase flags)

39. Slipping is a man's best friend. Water is quite literally the most easily attainable thing on station, and all you need to make a successful escape is a quick run into maint where the hallways are a single tile.

40. Act like you're doing something with a purpose. Oh, you need engineering to look for a dead body? Sure! Oh, you need into the Tele to reach the Abandoned outpost? Ok. Most people are too lazy to question you if you give a common answer as to why you're doing what you are, especially if you're in your normal garb.

41. If that fails, then try to play it off like you're just messing around/greytiding. I can tell you from experience I've stolen many things from the Captain's office under the pretext of just wanting to use his photocopier to make ass copies. (you'd be surprised how much this works) If people think you're just looking for harmless fun they're a lot more likely to trust you, and sec is less likely to take your seriously.

42. Hiding in disposals is an extremely valid tactic if you remember to turn the disposals off. Allows for escape at your own time and being able to wait people out rather than taking a ride to a place they know you'll be. Has the potential to dupe people into thinking you went down the tubes anyway.

I just want to say, that playing on people's metasenses is possible, but more difficult than you think.

To date I still say the single best nuke op mission was when a nuke op team (I admit I'm biased here, as I was a borg for said team) pulled one over the crew's eyes really badly.

We snuck into telecomms and, right before we disabled it, had the pAI said "is that a blue APC?"--instantly we cut telecomms.

After this we waited about 5 minutes then teleported to the teleporter room---we roleld on up to the bridge, shot the captain, pulled him back and got the disk.

After this we set the nuke and just waited until there was 20 seconds left---then we ditched out of there using the teleporter---the nuke then blew and the nukies got major victory.

OOC was filled with confusion thinking that, somehow, it was nukies during malf AI.

As I said--it's VERY possible, but it's a lot harder to pull off than you think it is and it usually requires lots of conditions to line up properly and for execution to be 100% ---if there's even 1% off, players will notice that the pattern doesn't match and ignore it.

Brilliant. Add emagging an APC in there too!

I've always wanted to try to frame my target. Leave an esword lying around, robust them once they pick it up.

If you need someone who's being cloned to be dead forever, try EMP-ing the cloning pod while they're growing - it'll leave them without a means to re-enter their body, and seal the deal in an assassination.

A sleepy pen (if what ive heard is right) can be refilled with different chems once used (they got two charges), if you are good with chems and poisons (protip: OD'ing on omnizine is hilariously lethal, some chems synergize quite well, odysseuses can synthethise infinite chems....) and can be turned into effective death pens.

Also, if you got a die a glorious death objective having an explosive implant (if you can spare the TC) or carrying around a bomb can be effective means of achieving that death if you get into trouble before further abusing your antagness after getting your objective done (remember, your objective can be completed if the target kills themselves when you are dead), also, if you get stunned or cuffed you won't be able of using a remote signaler, but you will be able of using a voice analyzer/signaler assembly to detonate your bomb.

• 3 months later...

If you ever get the secret documents objective, just sleepy pen and mindslave them, you get the documents and they can't fight back. I once mindslave a changeling like that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use