Additional way to earn karma

block1

Just an idea that came to mind after seeing a post on reddit about the karma system.

Randomized objectives that are assigned to you when the round starts as whatever job you're playing, if you're an assistant the objective will be the same but instead of "As the [x]" it'd be "Get a job as [x] and do this.."

So for an example, you spawn as.. say.. a Chef, you'd get a randomized objective that'd say to bake two cakes, if you follow through with that objective at the end of the round you'd be awarded two karma for doing the objective. So players would earn karma for actually doing their job and could also get karma from other players for good roleplay.

Some other examples could be,

As a Security Officer, handcuff and bring three wanted criminals to the brig, with a reward of 2-3 karma at the end of the round.

As a Botanist, grow and harvest five different plants.

As an Engineer, set-up one solar panel and repair three hull breaches.

As a Blueshield, prevent the Captain from dying until the end of the shift (round).

Of course this system could be exploited but that's what admins and mentors are there for, to prevent this system from being exploited. So if an Officer simply wants and arrests random players to finish his objective, obviously some people would a-help that. If an engineer intentionally destroys some stuff to repair it, I'd imagine there'd be a log showing they destroyed a wall and repaired it.

Tell me your thoughts, this addition to the current karma system can encourage players to do their jobs and get things done that usually are rarely done and in return reward them with anywhere from 1-5 karma at the end of the round. It'd be fully randomized every round for each player and the amount of karma rewarded (1-5) would be randomly generated with the random objective.

It'd definitely sway players away from simply walking around the halls the entire shift and not doing their jobs.

Personally, I kinda like the idea. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up the minority on this.

Karma as it is, is... very limiting to obtain (Though apparently some peopel say they get several points per shift so I guess I'm just horrible.)

It'd be kinda nice to have an ability to work for something in a round and get a pay out for it that's reliable.

If I am in botany and I am actually supplying the chef instead of derping off all day with weed, and I actually supply a toooon of stuff for said chef?

It'd be kinda nice to get a point from that (Growing plants ain't hard, thus why I say a -a- point.)

And lest then with enough time an effort I know I'll be able to work towards some of the karma shop I want, and not have it take over a month just to get 5-10 points on the chance people give it out and that people actually involved themselves with me.

(Varying standards from person to person for what deserves a karma, some people only give it when it's a real exceptional situation, some give it out every single round to whoever sucked least.)

I'm on the fence with the idea. As the karma jobs and races are basically additional gameplay features and I do think there should be a way to actively pursue them outside of hoping people like your RP and are willing to give you a thumbs up, I can see why there's basically an RP gateway on jobs like NT rep and magistrate. However something like blueshield, sec pod pilot, and races like vox and plasmamen which all sorta heavily add extra gameplay mechanics (getting a free spacesuit no matter the job is pretty huge for example, as is taking no pressure damage) I feel shouldn't be so restricted by RP.

And in a topic similar to this one I tossed in a suggestion about adding a job point system that basically functions like the karma system but instead of giving points for good RP, you give points for what you consider good gameplay. So when you run into a doctor that has surgery down like the back of his hand or a scientist that has research capped early in the shift, etc, job points would be more like a "I don't know much about your RP or character but keep up the good work" and encourage people to do their jobs. It's also possible to add job specific objectives onto it as an alternative way to earn points as this topic suggests. Rewards would be, imo, the more gameplay heavy jobs like blueshield, mechanic, sec pod, etc and perhaps job specific fluff items like a captain of the month medal for captains, a golden clipboard for the HoP, and other fun stuff.

Just a thought

The problem as I see it, is one that has kinda been stated by GTbrawlers up there.

"If you play with the right people." or "Play with the regulars".

That is not rewarding RP, that is rewarding, for lack of a less intense term, a clique. (Which sounds much more offensive then I intend it.)

That's not saying "You roleplayed well, so you're rewarded." That's saying "You RP'd with the right people."

Which... I mean that's for one, dependant on timezones to ... RP WITH said people. But RP wise, what reason do I really have to go out of nowhere to this group of people that I don't really know ICly or OOCly? Unless THEY come to ME or something happens in a round that forces me ICly into bugging the Captain or whoever, that's ... probably not gonna happen.

It's already grinding karma points to get the thing that's got your eye.

Only you're grinding on an RNG chance to get a Karma point.

Awarding it for Good RP is fine, but when that's your ONLY method of obtaining said point system, it yields problems like this.

And as Daisuke said, RP jobs being behind an RP point gate? sure. Giving a random dude a magistrate cuz he did a lot of mining really well is silly, I agree.

But giving the -gameplay- options behind -gameplay- gates that show you're acquainted with the game, how it works, how to not be a jackass, that makes sense. It makes sense to gate races behind that because of more advanced mechanics.

Can't support this at all!

RP on paradise has been getting steadily worse. Where I have given next to nothing over the last month.

You want an easy way to get Karma? RP better.

I got 2 Karma in a round I was in for 15 minutes. Because I was killed by an antag. But it was how I reacted and RP to being killed got me that 2 Karma.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use