Vampire game mode issue

Hiddeknight

I was encouraged by an admin to write this post as a result of a recent round of 'Vampire', and so here I am.

First, a summary of what happened...

Playing as a roboticist, I did not commit any illegal acts (Including but not limited to biting anyone, or using any vampire abilities during the entire round). After two other vampires were discovered and executed by security, I was 'selected' to be tested by being brought into the chapel. Here are the logs from my chat so you can read the story yourself:

Athena Castile fires HoS Energy Gun!

Leon Xavier asks, "What?"

Leon Xavier asks, "Why?"

Athena Castile says, "You're under arrest."

Leon Xavier says, "I'll go quietly."

Leon Xavier asks, "What did I do?"

Athena Castile says, "Please don't resist."

Athena Castile says, "Just questioning."

Unknown (as Adan Burns) screams!

Leon Xavier says, "I won't.. I haven't done anything."

Athena Castile is trying to put handcuffs on Leon Xavier!

Leon Xavier says, "I'm really confused."

Athena Castile talks into the head of security's bowman headset

Athena Castile says, "I've got the other robo on me, he came willingly."

Athena Castile says, "You've exhibited suspcious behaviour"

Athena Castile says, "Apparently."

Leon Xavier asks, "... What suspicious behaviour?"

Athena Castile says, "Just gotta test you for vampirism and the like."

Leon Xavier says, "I've literally done NOTHING all shift."

Leon Xavier says, "Eh go for it."

[Common] Jaxon Helgate asks, "Why you arrestin the roboticist?"

Athena Castile says, "...Exactly. You haven't done your job and have been bringing dead bodies to the morgue"

Athena Castile says, "Without trying to clone them"

Athena Castile says, "Apparently."

Leon Xavier asks, "Really?"

Leon Xavier says, "There's one body in the morgue and it's braindead"

Leon Xavier says, "Can't borg a soulless vessel"

Athena Castile says, "Some command staff member told me this."

[Common] SkreekOS states, "Everyone praise the blueshield for cremating all those wierd vampire dudes"

[Common] Daniel Jackson says, "The janitor is a vampire"

Athena Castile says, "Just need to investigate, sorry."

Athena Castile asks, "You understand, right?"

[Common] Thomas McStonemason says, "Was a vampire."

[Common] Tikitakahara says, "AI"

[Common] Daniel Jackson shouts, "Or was, hurray for fast responding detective!"

[Common] Chichikikrikra asks, "Whats?"

Leon Xavier asks, "Why would you want me to borg a soul-less vessel?"

[Common] Chichikikrikra asks, "What you means WAS vampires?"

[Common] Tikitakahara says, "Door please"

[Common] Walter Auman says, "It was me really the Blueshield."

[Common] David De'Berjerak says, "Can vampirism be cured?"

Athena Castile asks, "Have we got holy water?"

Ardashir Narsieh Saravid says, "It'll be okay"

[Common] Embrace Of The Void says, "He is an ex-vampire he has ceased to be!"

[Common] Daniel Jackson exclaims, "Hurray for the best blueshield ever!"

[Common] Chichikikrikra asks, "Is deads then?"

Athena Castile says, "That looks disgusting."

Lord Charles XI exclaims, "Follower of adom!"

Lucas Von Novas says, "Well"

Michelle Logan says, "Bring him to chapel"

Athena Castile says, "I'll just bring him to the chapel and see how he reacts, then."

Michelle Logan says, "Wait"

Athena Castile asks, "Yes?"

Lucas Von Novas says, "I have also been with a female tajar"

Michelle Logan is trying to take off an emergency firesuit from Leon Xavier's body!

[Common] SkreekOS states, "The Blueshield did push the buttons, that's sort of the last hit. I will award the kills to him"

Michelle Logan is trying to take off a gas mask from Leon Xavier's head!

Michelle Logan says, "Now"

Ardashir Narsieh Saravid says, "Yuko keep an eye on him. I'll check on the 'lotion'"

Michelle Logan is trying to take off the HUDSunglasses from Leon Xavier's eyes!

Ryan Bench is trying to take off the HUDSunglasses from Leon Xavier's eyes!

Lucas Von Novas says, "But nothing went near my ass"

Athena Castile says, "Thank you, Warden."

Leon Xavier says, "Don't steal all my stuf"

Michelle Logan has thrown HUDSunglasses.

Leon Xavier says, "Come on"

Ryan Bench is trying to take off a backpack from Leon Xavier's back!

Michelle Logan says, "HUDS"

Athena Castile says, "I'll take them with me."

Michelle Logan asks, "YOUR STUFF?"

Athena Castile puts HUDSunglasses into the security satchel.

Leon Xavier says, "I bought it from the shop"

Athena Castile says, "I donated it to the shop. Makes sense."

Michelle Logan says, "And we confiscate em"

Leon Xavier says, "Check with the storekeeper."

Leon Xavier says, "Wow."

Leon Xavier says, "That's so illegal."

Athena Castile says, "Shhh."

Leon Xavier says, "I haven't committed a crime. I've been arrested. And you've stolen my stuff."

Leon Xavier says, "This is ridiculous."

Athena Castile says, "I have your stuff on me."

Leon Xavier says, "Oh."

Leon Xavier says, "Okay."

Athena Castile says, "If you're fine in the chapel, you'll get it back."

Your skin flakes away...

Leon Xavier screams!

Leon Xavier says, "Wellp, you got me."

Your skin flakes away...

Leon Xavier screams!

Your skin sizzles!

Your skin sizzles!

Leon Xavier screams!

Leon Xavier claps slowly.

Your skin sizzles!

You continue to burn!

Leon Xavier screams!

Athena Castile says, "Hehe."

You continue to burn!

Athena Castile says, "Sorry."

Leon Xavier says, "Again, literally did nothing all shift."

You continue to burn!

Leon Xavier screams!

Leon Xavier says, "And here we are."

Bridge announcement

Attention all crew. We have vampires on board of the station. We already caught and mercilessly destroyed two of them. All other vampires: be ware. I told y'all I won't be shitting around today!

-Captain Bulma Briefs

You continue to burn!

Leon Xavier screams!

Athena Castile says, "I'll give you a quick death,"

Leon Xavier says, "Pretty much murder."

You continue to burn!

You continue to burn!

Leon Xavier screams!

You continue to burn!

... You can almost hear someone talking ...

...You almost hear someone talking...

... You can almost hear someone talking ...

...You almost hear someone talking...

Athena Castile talks into the head of security's bowman headset

Athena Castile says, "Yup."

You continue to burn!

You continue to burn!

Athena Castile says, "The other roboticist. The pair of them were vampires."

I'd like to say that I don't blame the players. If I was sec, I'd likely have done the same thing. My problem is more with the game mode, in how easy it is for vampires to be killed by powergaming. It's not fun to play as a vampire, as they're by far the weakest antag - arguably more so than even a toolbox wielding assistant.

I'm not sure what to suggest for balancing, only that the weaknesses shouldn't be so blatantly obvious.

The Metagaming on Vampires is really getting to out of hand now. I had to delete 5 tanks of Holy water one round since security was going around shooting fire extinguishers at everyone to vampire test, sometimes the same person up to..i think it was 12 times. If it's not that, just arresting and dragging them to the chapel to check is starting to get massively old.

Yes I adminboosed and deleted the water, I also made god pissed off at the station and cause hell to erupt on it too; I totally would do this again, this kind of play really makes me mad, so please please come up with suggestions on how to help prevent this kind of power play.

Honestly I would just remove the ability to bless water tanks, if they want more holy water , just ask chemistry, since you know, someone also tought it was a good idea to make the holy water recipe revealed to the public.

off the top of my head, how about removing the ability to bless tanks and instead make any water that goes in the chaplains' flask while he's holding it holy water and then give him the ability to splash a bit of holy water on people. Then make it so while chapel still blocks their abilities, vamps only get lit on fire in the chapel if they're covered in holy water.

Makes it so you can just randomly grab people and toss them in the chapel to see if they burn.

Also, maybe giving the vamps the ability to communicate via telepathy through either a small blood cost or a cooldown would help a bit

Honestly I would just remove the ability to bless water tanks, if they want more holy water , just ask chemistry, since you know, someone also tought it was a good idea to make the holy water recipe revealed to the public.

I wouldn't say it being public is the problem - if it exists, it should be public, and not a secret held by an elite cabal.

Mass production is really the problem - I think having it be based more around the Chaplain/flask would be good

Dave came up with a good idea he's going to run by the others to see if he has to go ahead to code it. Holy Water will no longer damage vampires, but restrict their abilities, like eating sugar when you have a borer would do. This will also remove the obvious message of the vampire having any effects at all to the crew testing him, leaving only the Chapel as a test.

However, if you get randomly arrested and brought to be tested, Ahelp it. That's Illegal Arrest and also massive shitcurity, which is a big problem not just for vampires, the Welder+Blood on everyone comes to mind as well. Remember, that's still considered a breach in SoP to force someone to comply with something randomly, unless it's searches, since Code Blue and up allow them.

Why not limit the production of holy water, forcing the crew to either go through a tedious process to make more or actually use their brains and mead out what the chaplain has. The way I understand it is that the CB is an aging station who's water systems may no longer be functioning at optimum levels. This would require it to be purified by chemestry before being blessed by the chaplain.

I agree with the removal of holy-water mass production. I personally believe that any detection as a crew antag should be purely a fault on the player's part. On a similar note, I also disagree with ling blood tests, because assuming another one's been caught that round ending up in the brig at all's a death sentence.

For comparison compared to those two, take traitor. Assuming they don't use their uplink or act on their objectives, they can't ever be caught. If they get brigged for a crime, they don't get subjected to a 0% failrate test that immediately means death (arguably not for a crafty ling but the odds are still heavily against them.

Many Traitor objectives are acquirable without using the uplink at all - evidenced easily by the fact that most autotater rounds involve at least one balloon. The only one that you can't do without risking detection is the document trade, since it spawns in your backpack.

Vampires only have blood draining as an objective that might give them away, though they can easily just murder two people in maint and slurp them up without more risk of discovery than a traitor.

Changelings have absorption objectives, which are effectively just like the blood drain - very easily obtained by a shopping trip to the morgue - but unlike others, they have impersonation objectives, which are often very, very difficult to accomplish, because if the other person loses their ID somewhere, or gets spaced and dies, you're just plainly screwed. While this is often the case as well for certain theft objectives (CE boots when the CE jumps in an uncalibrated teleporter and dies somewhere), it's much more likely than others, since an ID with the person's name on it doesn't work - it has to be their round start Id.

It's not just on vampire rounds. Nirri prepared several lavish meals for the department heads as a chef one round. A few minutes after trying to find the RD, security arrested her, left the kitchen open for the supplies and lavish meals to be looted by greytide, took her to the brig and loyalty implanted her on the spot. No trial, no evidence, nothing. It wasn't even a red alert; it was still blue. Apparently sending a PDA message to a head during a Rev round is a sure sign off malignance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use