Jettison Dangerous Subdepartments

DaveTheHeadcrab

This is an idea I've had floating around in my head for ages, and want to gauge interest on it.

In essence what this would do is allow the command staff to jettison dangerous sections of their department. It would require two heads at a card-swiper, and the station must already be in red-alert for this to work. In addition, not every head of staff ID would work -- In order to swipe to jettison the department in question you must have access to the relevant head of staff's office. So, for instance, if Xenobiology slimes are loose and eating our beloved crewmembers it would require the RD and the Captain's authorization prior to the sequence beginning.

Once the sequence begins a station-wide announcement would be made automatically warning crew that it's started, and the area being jettisoned would flash red. A message would pop up every 10 seconds past the beginning announcement, counting down from 30 to 0 (In intervals of 10, as mentioned). At 10 seconds to launch a set of blast doors would begin to close in the airlock of the subdepartment being launched, and the explosive bolts (A set of wall-mounted item in the airlock of the area) would prime. If, for any reason, one of the explosive bolts does not prime (Angry Engineers hacked it, alien queen doesn't take too kindly to being spaced, etc) the sequence would be aborted at that time, and another announcement would be made citing the reason.

Assuming we go from 30 to 0 with no problems the explosive bolts detonate and the department is moved from its current location to a permanent hyperspace (Like the kind the emergency shuttle goes through on the way to CentComm). Anyone trapped inside, assuming they have a space suit, would still be able to jump from the spaced area and potentially return to the station.

The areas I had in mind for this are the Permabrig, Virology, and Xenobiology.

It might be good to utilize the nuclear disk in a sort of authorization device as a final safety.

That way the nuke disk has another use besides just sitting there.

Baldie mc thirthyyearsold Can't just steal some stuff and get two ID's with the right access too start the jettison sequence

And the nuke disk would be a good choice since noone can really take it off the station so its always somewhat aquireable

as for two other small things,

Maybe add some kind of way too traitor the sequence into action?

And it might be good too make the flash another colour instead of red, maybe a mix of both the radiation alert green and fire alarm red instead?

And lastly if this is implemented I guess the explosive bolts would have to be pretty clear icon wise, maybe some warning signs notifying that you are entering a jetisonable area like with the radiation warning signs and stuff

Baldie mc thirthyyearsold Can't just steal some stuff and get two ID's with the right access too start the jettison sequence

He'd also have to have an accomplice, mind you. They would have to first call red alert from two different card machines then start the sequence from two different card machines.

You already know my opinion on this as you've run it by me before.

I'm not personally a big fan of it, to be honest; I feel it encourages ignoring a problem instead of dealing with it.

Xenos? Eject that section. Blob? Eject it; greytide mcgrieferpants clan having a...party in chapel? Eject it.

I realize some of these can be worked around with specific checks to prevent some cheap tactics like this, but on the whole I feel very uneasy about the concept.

Considering how easy it would be for the blob or the xenos too just destroy the bolts procautionarily it shouldn't be that big of a problem right?

It would be a nice feature to implement, seriously. Also ,regarding the blobs, they are already pretty damn hard to kill (no, the crew barely gets its ass together to beat up a blob, unless it's in front of them, they will just come in waves and perish), the fact that they start in a hard to acess area that can be easily depresurized just makes it even harder to kill, and as Kluys said, it would just eat the bolts , blobs rounds are a fucking metagaming and powergaming mess, filled only with misery and pain.

You already know my opinion on this as you've run it by me before.

I'm not personally a big fan of it, to be honest; I feel it encourages ignoring a problem instead of dealing with it.

Xenos? Eject that section. Blob? Eject it; greytide mcgrieferpants clan having a...party in chapel? Eject it.

I realize some of these can be worked around with specific checks to prevent some cheap tactics like this, but on the whole I feel very uneasy about the concept.

The title very clearly says 'dangerous subdepartments', not 'every subdepartment and room'. So unless the xenos were in Virology, Xenobiology, or Permabrig, it wouldn't have potential for abuse.

Secondly, this is very clearly a last resort option - it requires swiping, which is a hassle, and even has a restriction requiring the office of the subdepartment being ejected's head to be used, which makes it more of a hassle.

I also want to point out that without lots of snowflake code, shooting a blob core to z level 2 would do absolutely nothing useful if the blob player was looking at a tile on station, because ejecting the core doesn't inherently kill it.

Finally, it would be rather easy to disable it, and the argument that xenos smashing the ejection bolts would be meta is nonsense, because it isn't meta for them to smash apcs or run from crew carrying lasers. And we all know the blob gamemode only functions with any amount of sense if the blob gets to know what it's host knew before it popped as well as what the other blob cores in the hivemind know, so that's not even worth bringing up in the first place.

I can already foresee the 5 minute blob rounds and lazy crew growing ever so more lazy.

Agree with fox here, they should deal with the problem instead of just launching a part of the station away.

If it was, they would either A. Be banned for doing so, which they are not, or B. Not have the ability to do so. Slashing the apc is a rather snowflake ability that only xenos have.

That is not, however, the topic of this thread.

I could see this helping during Rev rounds if you added Toxins Mixing to the list. That way you can jettison Toxins as soon as Scientists start becoming Revs so the station doesn't become a bombed out pile of corpses.

And then capture all the Rev Heads and stuff them in permabrig and laugh as they get shot off into space at Mach speeds.

I'd hate to be the unlucky Xenobiologist/Virologist out of a job when their lab gets sucked into space.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use