Detective Overhaul - A visual post

Telvayne

Step 1: REMOVE DETECTIVE!

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Alright, now that we're all ready to POST ANGRILY, let's talk. Replace detective, don't remove it. Replace it with what, you ask?

Easy, replace this:

Detective-with-smoke-flipped.gif

With this:

The-X-Files1.jpg

Conceptual art below:

d93da0420c.png

Now for the wordy part:

Detective, as it currently stands, is a role everyone in the station seems to want to play. Even when I have it on High, I almost never get it. The person who does get it rarely ever actually does detective work. Instead, they behave like a sec officer who is somehow above the rules. I vote we both encourage and discourage this behavior.

How do we accomplish this? We make two detectives, essentially. We take away the revolvers. Yes, this is not going to be a popular choice. Perhaps we can still have the noir-style available somehow. It just doesn't fit the style of game, though. On the other hand, two special agents, tasked with investigating strange events, paranormal or otherwise, fits perfectly with out theme. By having 2 of them, we have a much better chance that at least one will do their job. As well, we make them 'Special Agents', and treat them like normal Sec officers. They can arrest, brig, all that, but have forensic scanners and access to the crime lab. They would have additional access, but not a whole lot. We can also write up a nice entry into SOP for them, about how they are more heavily scrutinized by IA.

I think overall this would be a good change. More officers in the field who are actually officers would be good. Encouraging a buddy-cop dynamic is good, also. Lots of room for intrigue, humor, and absurdity. Please like, comment, and subscribe. Thank you.

I approve. I suggest we replace revolvers with a stun revolver of some kind, with maybe a lethal setting after a certain security code is reached, like the borgs.

Very much against the detective losing his revolver--it really cuts into the noir theme---revolver is also surprisingly important to game balance, particularly nuke ops.

If nukies get shields it's pretty important to contact the detective or barkeep for their weapons---cause tasers, lasers, and disablers aren't going to do jack squat against those shields.

I have a [probably noobish] solution.

I agree that the revolver probably is essential to game balance.

Seeing a special agent walking in; about to attain evidence of your grisly murder in the Librarian's personal room probably would make you think differently than if a detective were in the room doing the same thing.

And by that, I mean that the detective is armed, and the special agent wouldn't have any self-defense. I certainly would be less inclined to try my luck with a detective than this replacement special agent.

So, being that I greatly agree with increasing the importance of the Detective-type position... why not make one of the special agents a senior member and the other a junior, and give the senior one the revolver?

IRL detectives outrank normal officers by quite a bit. I am no expert, but they still can do the whole arresting cop dealio every other cop can do, they are just better. They have more experience and have more influence than a normal cop, they have been around for fuck tons longer than any patrolman, which is what I imagine the whole IG sec officer would be. Of course, assuming they are real officers, and not just rent-a-cops, because you know, like the whole private security thing, and space law being more of a nanotrasen specific thing. IG though, detectives are almost never senior members, and are just as bad as normal sec. Detectives shouldn't be patrolling unless stated by the HOS, so they would almost never need to make an arrest. If they are worthy, they can pester the HOS to pester the HOP who may need to pester the captain to get the proper credentials to make an arrest and all that jazz, because, you know, game roles are not realistic at times. Otherwise the detective would rarely leave the office.

That being said, an extra detective would be interesting.

Also, special agent, that is federal, if I am not mistaken, and doesn't mean much (the title). Again, I am not expert.

Speaking of sec jobs, though, a deputy would be useful.

Very much against the detective losing his revolver--it really cuts into the noir theme---revolver is also surprisingly important to game balance, particularly nuke ops.

If nukies get shields it's pretty important to contact the detective or barkeep for their weapons---cause tasers, lasers, and disablers aren't going to do jack squat against those shields.

The current detective with his revolver is quite literally the only noir element in the entirety of the game, and frankly, it's painfully disconnected with the themes of the rest of the game.

If they MUST keep the revolver, replace the so-called 'rubber' bullets (that are JUST like regular bullets, except they cannot embed, meaning the Detective, who is not a security officer whatsoever, begins with and now ONLY gets a lethal weapon to carry during Blue, when it is illegal to carry a lethal weapon) with the same projectile as in the Stun Shells, which stun targets but ignore ablative armor and energy shields because they're still a solid projectile. Then put a box of lethal bullets in the secure armory with the rest of the lethal weapons, because that's where they belong. Don't insist they keep a weapon that breaks SOP with something as flimsy as justifying it as an option in ONE gametype, especially not one where the secure armory combat shotguns would serve far better.

If the Detective puts on the blue coat, takes off the brown hat, and puts on a security jumpsuit, there is no longer anything vaguely noirlike about them - and the fact that their alternative job title is 'forensics technician', which describes their ACTUAL role much more accurately than 'detective' anyway - puts a lid on the Dick Tracey gumshoe nonsense that seems to possess every shitty detective who I see walking around with revolver drawn, and not carrying evidence bags, police tape, a camera, or a recorder. And a telebaton now, for whatever fucking reason. Personal defense my ass, they shouldn't ever be in a situation that's more dangerous than anything a Civilian gets into.

If you aren't going to turn the Forensic Technician into something more than a pure evidence-gathering role, take away their equipment unrelated to evidence gathering, and let the security officers handle protecting them like they do the rest of the station. If their job is to scan crime scenes, take pictures, record witness statements, process dna and fingerprints, and catalogue physical evidence and store it, they don't need a baton and a gun.

In all honesty, IRL detectives are far more like the special agents mentioned above, while the current detective is more like a CSI with a taste for Call of Cthulhu. In IRL police forces, detectives often hold the rank of Lieutenant, which puts them multiple pay grades above your run of the mill beat cop. But a guy in the forensics lab, running prints and dna samples? Or the coroner? Those have no authority to arrest whatsoever and are basically civilian support personnel.

Tl;dr: You get one or the other, not both.

I don't care hugely for the revolver but if it plays a key role in game balance then it should definitely stay.

How about a modification to this then.

Detective spawns as normal with the Forensic Technician and Detective Alt Titles.

There is a new job role added in which is the 'Special Consultant' role. Consultant Role also has the Forensic Technician title (no gun though), Psychological Consultant, Coronary Consultant or Crime Scene Investigator Alt title. They have no gun, no power of arrest but have a telebaton, a flash and a forensic scanner. They can spawn in the red, blue or detective's coat but have a shabby suit, psyche turtleneck, black scrubs and blue scrubs depending on role.

I would REALLY like to have more investigatory manpower.

It says a lot that the discussion isn't so much about removing detective as everyone discussing the revolver. Maybe we just need the option to reskin/rename our hybrid tasers?

It says a lot that the discussion isn't so much about removing detective as everyone discussing the revolver. Maybe we just need the option to reskin/rename our hybrid tasers?

This so much. I don't really believe the Revolver is so integral to the power of the security versus the Nuke Ops since it has Rubber bullets any was, making really worthless in a lethal battle.

So please stop talking about losing the revolver and more on this, as it's a much better idea and fits into the settling far more then Noir Detective.

This so much. I don't really believe the Revolver is so integral to the power of the security versus the Nuke Ops since it has Rubber bullets any was, making really worthless in a lethal battle.

So please stop talking about losing the revolver and more on this, as it's a much better idea and fits into the settling far more then Noir Detective.

foouuund iiiiiit

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... tureIsNoir

edit: i picked this one since it has the most links to alternate or similar settings, like cyberpunk

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use