Role points or something

TheDemonic

So I've been thinking about the karma system and how we can improve it to be a little more spread out. I've always thought that with karma your ether the best out of the group or you get nothing because no one ever thinks "wow this guy is fun but I'm not going to give him karma because everyone else is probably giving him karma and instead I'm going to give it to the guy who is second best!".

So I was thinking adding in Role points or good vibes or something that works a little like karma but less powerful. Lets say you get 2 or 3 to give out each round to people and every 70 or so rp you get, you get a karma. also you can not give a karma or rp to someone who has already been awarded points from you.

what do you think?

Edit: since People seem to be getting confused, Role points will be awarded EXACTLY like karma so people who do not deserve them simply won't get them. They are NOT awarded for anything simply surviving or achieving something in the round.

Edited by Guest

I do like the idea of this, although the amount you have to earn before you get karma should be reduced.

This would be important in high-skill jobs like virology, atmos or xenobio, all which are jobs that no one notices unless they fuck up and don't really lead to any RP opportunities. I earn around 2 karma a round when I'm CE, but when I'm atmos tech I earn barely any karma, yet that is an objectively more complex job.

We should reward people for doing their jobs, and the Karma system only really benefits jobs that interact with lots of other people (like those nerds over at medical).

I do like the idea of this, although the amount you have to earn before you get karma should be reduced.

The idea is what matters, the numbers were just off the top of my head and I thought example numbers would be better too high than too low.

Karma points are strictly for giving to individuals you interact with and enjoyed doing so, most often for rp reasons.

no offence but, I already know what the karma system is. That is why I made the role points or whatever around awarding people who deserve it instead of some automated thing, Its strictly made to assist the Karma system and not to replace it or be awarded for something else.

I highly doubt any amendments to the karma system will pass by ponies.

That's fair enough but that is for ponies to decide. ^_^

You don't seem to understand, theres literally a thread a few spots away from you named Victory Points. In it, Neca clearly states that winning or acheiving goals in game should never or will never equate to karma, in a way that means that you should never get karma for... RP, rather you get karma by the good ole fashion impressing of someone. Karma isn't a progress meter, its not like you NEED karma to go, "Hurr durr luk at me ev4yone, I'm popular" its literally only there to promote people to be decent.

With this in mind I rather despise the recent bitching at the Karma system, while it has flaws with regards to meta karma giving that doesn't mean that a system totally not related to the enjoyment of the game needs changed or replaced.

You don't seem to understand, theres literally a thread a few spots away from you named Victory Points. In it, Neca clearly states that winning or acheiving goals in game should never or will never equate to karma, in a way that means that you should never get karma for... RP, rather you get karma by the good ole fashion impressing of someone. Karma isn't a progress meter, its not like you NEED karma to go, "Hurr durr luk at me ev4yone, I'm popular" its literally only there to promote people to be decent.

What does this have to do with my thread? where in my post do I say about winning or achieving goals would equal to role points? did you even read my post or did you just brush it off as someone crying about karma? let me explain it again for you:

Role points would be awarded EXACTLY like karma for the EXACT same reasons but the point to this system is to allow you to award multiple people without breaking the balance or the meaning of the Karma system. also it can be used as a lesser RP reward for people who may not deserve karma but still a way to reward people for good RP while again not breaking the balance of the karma system.

With this in mind I rather despise the recent bitching at the Karma system, while it has flaws with regards to meta karma giving that doesn't mean that a system totally not related to the enjoyment of the game needs changed or replaced.

personally I think the karma system is very good but I still think it has its flaws and that's why I've made this suggestion to attempt to maybe improve it and as there will always be complaints about something but maybe there is a reason behind the complaints.

P.s Please don't make assumptions that I or people who are complaing about the karma system are simply walking around going "Hurr durr luk at me ev4yone!" because that's simply not the case. also good on you if you manage to get through this wall of text. :D

I don't think we need an additional system that does the same thing karma does. If I were to make a suggestion to have role points be a thing, it would instead be a point system where you give points to people that do well at their assigned job rather than an enjoyable RP experience like Karma points with rewards that would basically be job specific fluff items. For example, maybe a special smoke pipe for the detective, a robust toolbox for civilians, a gold captain of the month medal pinned to the jumpsuit like a tie, fancy paperwork pen for the HoP, etc. Flesh it out a bit more and it can be a system that adds little achievements for good gameplay. Not necessary but could be nice, gives a little incentive to do well at your job aside from getting yelled at by a head of staff.

I don't think we need an additional system that does the same thing karma does. If I were to make a suggestion to have role points be a thing, it would instead be a point system where you give points to people that do well at their assigned job rather than an enjoyable RP experience like Karma points with rewards that would basically be job specific fluff items. For example, maybe a special smoke pipe for the detective, a robust toolbox for civilians, a gold captain of the month medal pinned to the jumpsuit like a tie, fancy paperwork pen for the HoP, etc. Flesh it out a bit more and it can be a system that adds little achievements for good gameplay. Not necessary but could be nice, gives a little incentive to do well at your job aside from getting yelled at by a head of staff.

Sod my idea! This is what we need! if I can get a gold fire axe for atmos I'll be happy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use