New to DnD, can I get tips? (4e)

Hairy Ban Jhankri

Dammit, I made a post but got logged out, and it didn't post. Alright, so, I am new to DnD, and I need some help from the collective minds of all of you who are into this sort of thing. I got introduced to DnD late Friday night and will be in a campaign soon. So, first, holy shit there is so much stuff. Like, races, classes, feats, powers, abilities, skills. I have only ever played True 20 before, and that is just three classes, and we only played as humans. So, I am at a bit of an impasse, because I have very few ideas of what would best fit my playstyle and all.

My DM and I worked on a draft character that we think might be a good match, a changeling psion. The stats are 10 str, 12 con, 13 dex, 16 int, 14 wis, 16 cha. I don't like to fight unless I absolutely have to, and I try to make my enemies into my allies. So, I was thinking that because I can change into anybody I wish, I would rarely have enemies anyway, and if I do, I can just use a psion ability or roll for diplomacy to aid in making them my ally. However, I was wondering if there would be better options better suited to my play style, or if the stats could be better? The only two races that I have found that might be viable are doppelgangers and illithids. As far as classes go, I haven't really found anything else that might work. Artificer and shaman are kind of similiar, I guess, but that is more of creating allies, than turning enemies into neutral or allies.

The only other info I can think of that might help is that my other party members are all combat based, except for a bard, which my DM tells me is basically useless garbage. I know we have one paladin. Also, because I will not be around as much as all of the other players, I will be in and out of the story. My DM and I thought it would be a cool idea if the other players didn't know I was a ling, and I could pass as an utterly useless human bard until something revealed otherwise. I will be doing solo missions when I break from the main party and doing scouting stuff, like finding connections, creating allies, and gathering info long before my party arrives at intended destinations. This is also an effort to keep things flowing smoothly, because I won't be doing a lot of combat (which they will be) and I will be doing a lot of sneaky diplomacy and RP based things, (which they will likely not be taking too much part in). It was also discussed that should my party members encounter my character when I am not around, they wouldn't recognize me, as I am only in the human bard form when I am with them, and that I have the option to relay info or items as an ominous stranger via my DM.

Anyway, again, I am very new to this, so if something needs clarification please let me know, and let me know what you think of everything. Is it a good concept, a cool concept, are the stats good, can they be better, all of that jazz. To reiterate, I think my playstyle would benefit from something sneaky, that relies on diplomacy, good with history, insight, perception, bluffing, and streetwise stuff. Any and all tips would be cool, too.

Changelings and Illithids. Changelings tend to have alot of saturday morning cartoon antics. IE. I am the warden, and ohgodohnotherealwardeniscomingthiswayohmygod. So you gotta plan around that, or dispose of the one your gonna pretend to be. Otherwise it will ALWAYS go wrong. Pretending to be 'just some guy' is really dangerous for a changeling, because half the time thats the exact personality type that the main party is, which tends to be the action trigger. (Some guys roll up to your town, shit goes down. Typical D&D trigger).

And an Illithid is considered evil. If you manage to convince a paladin that your not evil, he will still cut you down for being an abomination and an affront to all things. HERESY and all that good jazz.

4e Bards are fukkin amazing. Tell your DM to give em more of a chance.

What exactly is the danger of being some guy? I am not sure what you mean. And damn, yeah, so illithids are out. What would a useless class be that I can easily pass off as? I figured RP wise, I only have to carry around a silly guitar or something, but then mind blast the shit out of anyone who wants to start shit, if I must. The DM and I thought that might be funny to explain to my party members after the battle is done, about what happened to the enemies without me uttering a word. Also, I guess I can read minds, and speak telepathically? So that might be fun for antics, an unknown voice coming from nowhere suggesting ideas to my party members and enemies alike.

Just looked up kenders . . . they are close enough to filthy vox that I think I will have to give my best attempt to choke out as politely as possible: no, thanks. Plus, I don't think my DM has that in his char builder. Odd that some races, classes and abilities are slightly different from version to version of builder. It took me 5ever to find one that was half way close enough to his.

Also, Fj, while it may be a little out there for a noob, I am also banking on the fact that the DM has said that they have never had a player do something like this before, meaning the whole absolute RP route vs combat. So, while I will be new at it, so will the DM, and I think that might lead to some humorous antics.

What do all of you play as, like what are your playstyles, and how does that all turn out for each of you?

Just looked up kenders . . . they are close enough to filthy vox that I think I will have to give my best attempt to choke out as politely as possible: no, thanks. Plus, I don't think my DM has that in his char builder. Odd that some races, classes and abilities are slightly different from version to version of builder. It took me 5ever to find one that was half way close enough to his.

Also, Fj, while it may be a little out there for a noob, I am also banking on the fact that the DM has said that they have never had a player do something like this before, meaning the whole absolute RP route vs combat. So, while I will be new at it, so will the DM, and I think that might lead to some humorous antics.

What do all of you play as, like what are your playstyles, and how does that all turn out for each of you?

The reason for the builders is that there's multiple versions put out by Wizards of the Coast, each also discontinued being used and now their current one, which also sucks compared to their older one, requires a paid subscription to get into. I'm sure your DM would let you use anything not in them if you can point him to the source material for it.

As for Absolute RP vs Combat, that will be tricky. 4E is designed with combat purely in mind. To keep it going fast and to make each action feel like it was useful. Keep this in mind when your playing and building, as you WILL be drawn into combat, that's how 4E was meant to be played.

Personally I play a bard, with a similar idea that you have; trying to avoid combat wherever possible. I use my high charisma and abilities to try and convince enemies to leave us alone... but my teammates always screw that up. I've had to roll against my teammates a few times to convince them to not fight the harmless villagers...

But yeah, combat is inevitable, so I keep around a good sword and a good few abilities for real combat when it calls for it.

For standard weapons, suppose a crossbow, mace, and dagger would do, supported by a few psychic attacks? I looked back at the attacks/feats/powers/whatever I have, they all seem to do damage. What does a +4 attack bonus, 1d6+3 psychic damage attack do? Is that good, not so good? Both attacks do that for damage, but both I have some cool effects that go with them. I haven't done the lvl 2 or 3 stuff, yet, I don't think. I think that is only for lvl 1.

What do you all have for back stories and stuff? I am tinkering with a few concepts for my own char, now. I think I will settle on this ling psion for now. Perhaps if I am ever in another campaign, I will possess more knowledge on a possibly more suitable race or class.

What does a +4 attack bonus, 1d6+3 psychic damage attack do? Is that good, not so good? Both attacks do that for damage, but both I have some cool effects that go with them. I haven't done the lvl 2 or 3 stuff, yet, I don't think. I think that is only for lvl 1.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd assume the +4 attack bonus gets added to the roll you make to hit whatever your target is, and since it's psychic I'd assume it's against will... It's not the best, but it's not the worst either. 1d6 is the damage you roll for, as I assume you know, and the +3 damage is damage that gets added after the roll. Another way to look at it is "4 to 9 psychic damage with +4 to hit against will". I think if you're using an implement it buffs the damage and bonus to hit more. I can't remember Psion's implements... I think they're orbs...

What do you all have for back stories and stuff? I am tinkering with a few concepts for my own char, now. I think I will settle on this ling psion for now. Perhaps if I am ever in another campaign, I will possess more knowledge on a possibly more suitable race or class.

My bard Einar Silvermoon's story is just him being a bard. His family were travelling bards, but they were killed defending him from bandits when he was young. He got away, yadda yadda tragic orphan backstory. He's not bitter about it or anything, he just continued being a bard, found a group of people who needed help (And a proper leader), and went with them to keep them organized and find treasure.

Thing is, I can't remember if I play 4e or 3.5e... I think it's 4e.

Whee mechanics talk! I love mechanics talk!...I don't know why I do.

+4 attack bonus is your roll to hit, so you would a roll a d20 and add 4 to hit. That 4 comes from your level (1) and your primary attribute for that attack, which looks to be a three. You will get more attack bonus through your allies or equipment and just plain leveling up.

1d6+3 is roughly 4-9 damage, which doesn't sound like a lot. The 3 comes from your attribute again, which as a Psion will more then likely be your INT. However, you are a CONTROLLER class, as the game puts it. You will never output as much damage as the others but you make up for that with debuffs, controlling the enemies actions, or straight up removing th from combat for a few rounds.

As for increasing damage, that's done at levels 10 and 20 for all abilities, the only other way to do it is trough increasing your stats or through buffs from your allies. Concentrate on your attack bonus rather then damage, you want to be hitting the attacks rather then dealing damage, you can outlast enemies very easily in 4E, but enemy defense tends to get bloated later on.

SHAMELESS PLUG! http://kisamayatsu.com/dad/Heroic%20(01-10)/ this is my favorite 4E podcast, they are all beginners to the game so it's easy to learn beside them as they go along, and they try to be more comedical then serious tones. They have a psionic player join them around episode 30-ish, hence the plug. Beware that I think a few episodes were curropted near there so it's very inconsistent, including losing the first episode. It begins to happen in the second run of the tower.

Oh, mention of Psions in 31a, I think? Psions have colours?

As for hitting targets, yeah, alright, I see what you mean. So, you mentioned controller? I saw stuff about leaders, too. Does it mean anything beyond what the abilities and all are meant for? Or, is there really only one leader in a party, and we have to follow them around?

Lol, sorry, I am so nooby with this

Following the Leader, not at all. There are 4 types of Classes in 4E, Controller, Leader, Striker and Protector. Leaders are team buffers and healers for the most part, you will see Bards, Warlords and Clerics in this role. Controllers I have already went into, Strikers are very self explanatory, they deal damage, they deal it fast and deal it lots. Protectors are usually Paladins and Fighters, who have special skills to redirect damage to themselves and some classes can even heal them too.

As for the colors, that's the race. Their Psion is a Shardmind, a sentient piece of space rock

OOooohh, shardmind, that was one my buddy and DM said I might like at first. Hmm, alright. So, I probably need a pretty good magical weapon or something crazy to do some good damage if I happen to be caught solo? Like, an artifact or something? Are there like tomes or items that allow me to learn new powers/feats? Or are those something I can only get from leveling up/ DM kindness?

• 2 weeks later...

So, if anybody can open this, this is my char sheet, pretty much finalized. I have had crazy amounts of work and all over the past few weekends, and same for the next month or so, so when the first large session will be, no idea. But, what does anybody think? It was made in my DM's program, and mine is out of date, so not everything copied over flawlessly, but you get the idea.

EDIT: Can't be opened. Here are screen shots instead, I guess.

EDIT 2: Some deets aren't showing, and are skewed, I think. Minor stuff, like I have language of the mind and supernal for languages, I think some of my skills were a bit different. Maybe a power/feat whatever isn't showing. I thought I had a few more, somewhere.

9dbab20b68daa993d085618efd8f7487.png.e0d854dc753f95d364f9b3e9006103f2.png

37647722a1ca76fbc187793dabb7b59b.png.67b0c153b8467f86df2f73187775fc7d.png

9dbab20b68daa993d085618efd8f7487.png.e0d854dc753f95d364f9b3e9006103f2.png

37647722a1ca76fbc187793dabb7b59b.png.67b0c153b8467f86df2f73187775fc7d.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use