Space Law overhaul

Streaky Haddock

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT ALTERATIONS TO SPACE LAW. FOR STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE CHECK HERE

Changes so far - 109 Insulting an Officer has been removed.

Main Space Law wiki page: http://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Space_Law

Suggestions from the "New SOP?" thread in General Discussion:

TG Space Law with modifications to Sentencing (Several Suggestions)

Revision of Demotions as a standard punishment. Because to demote someone is unwieldy and difficult and sometimes the poor bugger doesn't deserve it (Hairy Voodoo Shaman)

This is the Up to Date Wiki Page:

This is the duplicate wiki page that the ingame Space Law books link to that I would like to delete, however it has clauses and commentaries on the use of Loyalty implants etc that is worth looking into for addition or rejection from the main wiki page.

http://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Space_law

Edited by Guest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abuse of radio is for spamming the common channel and being a nuisance. But, honestly, if someone's being THAT annoying, I'm sure literally anyone could 'watch as they tripped down the stairs and the headset flew away hint hint wink wink.' and nobody would care.

Remove that too.

I'm reluctant to use that one since it is actually useful. Perhaps change it to emphasise it's the misuse of common radio? I dont particularly want anything to rely on Security's corrupt nature in reference to the tripping down the stairs and breaking their radio thing.

Abuse of radio is for spamming the common channel and being a nuisance. But, honestly, if someone's being THAT annoying, I'm sure literally anyone could 'watch as they tripped down the stairs and the headset flew away hint hint wink wink.' and nobody would care.

Remove that too.

Exactly. I am more then sure that any good officer trying to stop an idiot that is abusing coms could either..

A: Have them "trip"

B: Simply find another crime to brig them over.

Hell, the point between "large amount of radio use" and "spam" may very well hit admin territory anyway.

Abuse of comms, I feel, is more for crying wolf. While the clown can and will do it, a normal crew member doing it in a non sarcastic manner takes away from actual patrolling or whatever. I mean, there is a difference in intents. I do this when people get on my nerves or whatever and they don't get the hint to get out of my face. For example when somebody is in my department and they won't leave, "Help there is a guy here with a weapon and he keeps following me and other staff in cargo! AI, security, help!" That will make people fly away faster than you can imagine. Be it, it should really only be done when they have weapons of some sort, and they won't leave. I don't know, get creative, just don't make shit up entirely. On the other hand, there is a difference between that and "oh god I filled xenobio with xenos, fuck, lord help us all!" Over, and over, and over again. Also, "singularity is loose, good god we are all going to die, call the shuttle, call the shuttle!"

Abuse of comms, I feel, is more for crying wolf. While the clown can and will do it, a normal crew member doing it in a non sarcastic manner takes away from actual patrolling or whatever. I mean, there is a difference in intents. I do this when people get on my nerves or whatever and they don't get the hint to get out of my face. For example when somebody is in my department and they won't leave, "Help there is a guy here with a weapon and he keeps following me and other staff in cargo! AI, security, help!" That will make people fly away faster than you can imagine. Be it, it should really only be done when they have weapons of some sort, and they won't leave. I don't know, get creative, just don't make shit up entirely. On the other hand, there is a difference between that and "oh god I filled xenobio with xenos, fuck, lord help us all!" Over, and over, and over again. Also, "singularity is loose, good god we are all going to die, call the shuttle, call the shuttle!"

Hmm, I can't really think of a rewording that would cover that, and only that, and stop abuse.

Some kind of punishment for minor crimes that is alternative to jail time would be nice (but not monetary cause that's really not a punishment at all). Too often sec spends ages finding someone whose only crime is something minor. Sec have other things to be doing than hunting down minor criminals.

Look at the timer system and change that, because normally for minor criminals they spend ten or fifteen minutes in custody while officers cuff them, search them, put them in the brig, ask them questions, etc. while their sentence is two minutes or something. (This might be a SOP problem though)

Make it more clear what loyalty implants may be used for, and what sentences they can replace (currently the bit about loyalty implants is buried in the bottom of the space law page and easily missed). Add in a crime relating to misusing loyalty implants.

Remove some of the laws more befitting for a high-level RP server (e.g. laws dependent on people playing specific jobs or having fear of stuff like death) or are never used such as 203, 302, and 201.

Relook at high-level crimes requiring a tribunal to be sentenced - it's all well and good having to have a tribunal for them to be sentenced but if the evidence is clear-cut it should not be required.

Currently the only sentence applicable for 306 and 307 is execution, or being loyalty implanted - nothing else may be applied. This should probably be changed.

Some sort of "abuse of position" law specifically against comdom heads would be a nice addition, I can't think of any decent wording myself though.

Because there really should be something to discourage evil RDs stealing all of robotic's metal.

http://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Gui ... cs#Cyborgs

Apparantly you can be arrested for murder if you borg someone with paperwork, a fact I was not aware of.

This is not a part of Space Law, but people are being put in Perma for it.

I'm not condemning or condoning it; but I am mentioning it here so people can discuss its addition to Space Law/S.O.P proper, or its removal from Robotics Guide.

If you look around, there are all sorts of nifty cool things hidden that have to do with space law/SOP. Previously, only engineers were permitted to have insulated gloves. However, that was changed yesterday. I'm sure there are plenty of other things hidden around, that may or may not require attention, some day, perhaps.

Put in perma for not having paperwork? Sounds like some overzealous bay rule. The robot can't lie, if he confirms his permission then there's no problem. If he's lying then he's either breaking server rules and deserves synthban, or he's malf.

Convicting a Roboticist for murder when it's crystal clear that the borged individual wanted to be borged borders on anal-retentive obstructive bureaucracy. At best, it removes a brash Roboticist, and at worst it removes one of your station's greatest assets;

Abuse of Power should be contemplated in Space Law AND Standard Operating Procedure. Say any of these happen:

1. HoP gives anyone all-access with no question;

2. Captain is a complete and absolute condom with precisely 0 clue on how to run a room full of toddlers, let alone a high-end research station;

HoS decides he is Hitler reincarnated into glorious jackbooted form;

I'd very much like to see a standardized punishment besides "Demote them and hope they go away";

Is Police Brutality contemplated in Space Law? Because it should be;

Dereliction of Duty needs to be more flexible. A Janitor forgetting to put up wet floor signs is one thing. A Chemist making Space Lube and giving it to the Clown is another. Cargo Techs refusing to deliver because "Fuck you, I'm not your errand boy" is yet another. Different departments, different duties, different consequences;

Oh, and do please add in Tresspassing on Cordonned Area (works for Police and Engineering tape).

Maybe, if you wanted to make things more complex and make a sub-section of Law that refers to each specific department. However I don't want Space Law to become overly complex, and I stiiiill kinda feel that if you want to tell someone how to do their job, or how NOT to do their job, SOP would be the way to do it.

However, Space Law IS also the first place anybody checks.

You should let me write up a document of space law for you. Most of it would remain the same, i'd just organize it differently. Classify it out as 'Crimes of Ethics, Crimes of Property, Crimes against Crew, and Crimes against Centcomm'. Then select the worst one they broke and charge them for that. I'd also simplify the punishment system to emphasis the corrective nature of it. That should hopefully clear it up really quickly; then all you need to do is look up what they did.

I'm just throwing out thoughts here

You should let me write up a document of space law for you. Most of it would remain the same, i'd just organize it differently. Classify it out as 'Crimes of Ethics, Crimes of Property, Crimes against Crew, and Crimes against Centcomm'. Then select the worst one they broke and charge them for that. I'd also simplify the punishment system to emphasis the corrective nature of it. That should hopefully clear it up really quickly; then all you need to do is look up what they did.

That just seems needlessly complicated.

Not that you should do that, but, huh, that is an interesting way of thinking.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use