Warhammer 40K

andrewmeythaler

So during the summer sale I picked up Warhammer 40K Space Marine, and Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II.

I heard there may be some fans here. So is there anything I should know before I play them?

Also I can't get Dawn of War to work. It keeps crashing every minute or so. Anyone know how to fix this?

You have picked up the shittiest of the warhammer games.

About the DoW2 it might be just my personal opinion but I find it craptastic.

DoW2 unpatched has some major gamebreaking bugs with win7. Patch and pray it works.

The majority of the CTD issues I was able to find were GFWL related, but it seems GFWL has been patched out of DoW2, and it's fully steamworks, now. So that shouldn't be your issue. Unless you haven't updated it.

However, Space Marine is a fairly enjoyable game. Not the greatest, but a pretty good time.

I can confirm, Games for Windows life broke DoW2 a lot, patch it and it shouldnt be an issue.

Most of the playerbase agree that DoW1 is better than DoW2. DoW2 changed the genre a bit, becoming a lot more tactical RTS, and well... the DoW2 multiplayer is barely playable, i recommend you just playing The Last Stand.

And about Space Marine, well I enjoyed it a lot and finished the game several times. It's pretty much just a normal FPS, but... if you play it as an FPS you are doing it wrong, you have a chainsword and a thunder hammer for a reason. :P

There are little things more satisfying than gibbing a mob of orks by diving into them with a jump-pack and smashing the ground with the thunder hammer.

And then there are mods. They don't add a lot, but finishing the game on the highest difficulty setting with the Angry marine armor and using only melee weapons and the pistol is pretty fun.

http://puu.sh/dLadu/626a65c7bd.jpg

http://puu.sh/dLa3P/d5562a57cb.jpg

http://puu.sh/dLacr/fdbfc5f244.jpg

http://puu.sh/dLabZ/b647a8f22a.jpg

I was totally wrong! I got Dawn of War 1 not 2!

I kept playing it going, "Man whats wrong with you guys, this is awesome!"

2 took all the base building out, made units far weaker and less varied, and made you focus on heroes the entire campaign. I hated juggling all the hero abilities and such... I played Tyranids to beat it as they only had 1 hero.

I was totally wrong! I got Dawn of War 1 not 2!

I kept playing it going, "Man whats wrong with you guys, this is awesome!"

2 took all the base building out, made units far weaker and less varied, and made you focus on heroes the entire campaign. I hated juggling all the hero abilities and such... I played Tyranids to beat it as they only had 1 hero.

I fucking hate having to deal with making heroes in Warcraft. How are you supposed to manage an army when you are having to micro manage to abilities of some diva hero.

Well yeah DoW2 has that, though in Retribution you can choose between the hero or a squad of veteran soldiers. Personally i played with the heroes, giving them all terminator armor is pretty lulzy. Or equiping your commander Hairgel with the classic jumppack+thunder hammer.

IMO the funniest abilities are in DoW2 retribution, where Cyrus can solo entire missions while remaining unseen, the stormboy nob can fly off screen with a "WAAAAAaaa..." leaving a thick trail of smoke and then land "..aaaaaAAAAAGH!!" with a great groundslam gibbing everybody around. The Lord Commissar maxed with a single *BLAM* turns all your guardsmen inmune to damage, making them annihilate everything in range and even punch through tank hull, and you can even target the *BLAM* at the enemy, one-shotting terminators.

From the campaigns in Retribution, the ork one was by far the funniest one.

And here is a sample of the abilities in DoW2 Retribution.

QbbKb.gif

Did you remember to thin your paints?

Besides, IMO the games are no real alternative to actually having the minitures, plus Space marines are nowhere near as cool as Tau or Dark Eldar, and then the base game is nowhere near as cool as battlefleet gothic.

Did you remember to thin your paints?

Besides, IMO the games are no real alternative to actually having the minitures, plus Space marines are nowhere near as cool as Tau or Dark Eldar, and then the base game is nowhere near as cool as battlefleet gothic.

Please explain that whole last bit. I don't understand what the hell you said.

Snip.

Please explain that whole last bit. I don't understand what the hell you said.

I'm saying that Battlefleet gothic, which is a space-based naval game in the vein of Starfire is far superior to the original warhammer 40k game, although I only know like 2 people that play it.

Space marines are nowhere near as cool as Tau or Dark Eldar

How can you even compare the fishfaced space commies and Edgy space elves of angst to glorious catholic space nazis?!

Green is best, ya git

Space marines are nowhere near as cool as Tau or Dark Eldar

How can you even compare the fishfaced space commies and Edgy space elves of angst to glorious catholic space nazis?!

Green is best, ya git

Green is okay. Marines are just straight up boring. Due to the fact that everyone and their grandmother starts out with them they are baseline. I run an IG army, tallaran desert raiders ( think Dune meets lawrence of Arabia) and a tau army, I'm tempted to cell the tau and get dark eldar.

ADR, please stop with TEH ANGRY MAHREENS.

When I said TEH ANGRY MARINES, i meant any 40k meme from /tg/ other than moaning about the 5th edition marine codex, which was an ultramarine circlejerk when everyone knows imperial fist based chapters are the best.

EDIT: I don't hate /tg/, some of their homebrew codexes are brilliant, but if I want /tg/ humor I'd go to 1d4chan ( it has a pretty good ss13 page as well)

by space marines are boring, do you mean ultramarines?

Ultramarines are boring.

Space Wolves, Salamanders, carcharodons, blood angels and iron hands are all pretty fucking interesting.

Space Vikings, Cool Black guys, SPACE SHARKS, Utter Nutjobs and space marine tech priests in that order.

Some of the marines have some interesting fluff, but I just don't find supersoldiers that interesting, plus on the table they are utterly middle of the road

My old Marine army which i sold years ago was an Imperial fist based chapter.

IMO, the Necrons, some of the better guards regiments (I saw one that came straight out of the film Zulu), and Father Nurgle have the best fluff.

Edited by Guest

I, uh, know nothing about WH40K, but it looks interesting. I particularly want to try out the WH40K conversion of SS13 sometime.

How to WH40K?

I, uh, know nothing about WH40K, but it looks interesting. I particularly want to try out the WH40K conversion of SS13 sometime.

How to WH40K?

Play a computer game, pick up a book, browse a wiki, play the tabletop, or play the (excellent) pen and paper rpg from fantasy flight games (which I've been doing for the last two years)

40k is full of references to characters from specific events, or items, or groups. So it's basically a lore fest for neckbeards, so it helps to have someone fluent in 40k lore to explain your missed references.

the pen and paper games are great. I tried a bit of the tabletop wargame but it's far too expensive for me. The only tabletop games I can ever seen to get are from old friends on /tg/ and sigurd who invite me to their rogue trader and dark heresy games.

the pen and paper games are great. I tried a bit of the tabletop wargame but it's far too expensive for me. The only tabletop games I can ever seen to get are from old friends on /tg/ and sigurd who invite me to their rogue trader and dark heresy games.

Can someone explain the difference between tabletop and pen and paper?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use