Widescreen Feedback Thread

AffectedArc07

Dunno if this goes here, but I had a quirkh thing happen to me today where I aacidentally minimized the game and then fullscreened it causing only, ONLY the game screen to show up. No sign of textbox. Closing the window fully and restarting fixed it. Will try tomorrow if its repeatable.

This is a fantastic feature that I've seen successfully implemented on two great servers (Goon, TG) and has been implemented on countless others.

The only reason SS13 and most older byond games are 15x15 is because monitors 20+ years ago most monitors were big blocky 4:3 CRTs. In that context 15x15 makes perfect sense, but in today's world where I can almost guarantee you no one here is using a 4:3 monitor, a 19x15 viewport is the way to go.

Some servers even use a 21x15 viewport like goon, cit and skyrat which is roughly what 19x15 viewport looks like on a 16:10 aspect screen.

Also, briefly touching combat advantages. Two extra tiles on the side of the screen in the grand scheme of things isn't that big of a concern. You can compare SS13 with any topdown game released in the past decade to see that they all give an advantage to the sides of the screen far greater than two tiles in most cases.

Regardless, we should not be so strung up on the combat advantage of two tiles, our focus should be on the overall gameplay and feel and this does wonders in improving it.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Medster said:

Donation button being pushed off screen in my case

Solution - Dont have your taskbar on the side like a gremlin

That aside, I will fix things like the borg issue in due time, and I do want to make this as accessible as possible, its huge for the people who can use it, but I dont want to gimp the rest of the playerbase who cant. I have had one idea that is a best of both worlds but its also the most unreasonable thing in the world.

If you click on someone outside of the 15x15 with a gun for example you get something about "you can't focus your aim this far away!" or similar. Its a cludge but it satisfies a piece of the balance issue.

I am open to suggestions on how we sort this, since its a feature I want in, and a lot of other people do, but we cant impact the playerbase who dont play on 1080p. On that note I do want to profile what screen resolutions we get the most here, but I dont know of a good way to do that without snapping it with JS and something something GDPR. It would make for some nice figured I feel though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AffectedArc07 said:

15x15 with a gun for example you get something about "you can't focus your aim this far away!" or similar. Its a cludge but it satisfies a piece of the balance issue.

I don't think many people aim this way? Personally, I hole my cursor somewhere in the middle of my viewport and lead my shots. This wouldn't do much because you're not clicking the other person's sprite so no way to block the shot.

3 hours ago, AffectedArc07 said:

I am open to suggestions on how we sort this, since its a feature I want in, and a lot of other people do, but we cant impact the playerbase who dont play on 1080p. On that note I do want to profile what screen resolutions we get the most here, but I dont know of a good way to do that without snapping it with JS and something something GDPR. It would make for some nice figured I feel though. 

Take a look at the Steam hardware survey if you want a general idea of what monitors most people are using.

Keep in mind account for aspect ratio not resolution. Resolution is just pixel density which means nothing to SS13(pixel game lul). A quick google search will tell you what aspect ratio a certain resolution is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AffectedArc07 said:

I'd just like to weigh in alongside Bmon's point and clarify that it's not resolution that matters with this so much as screen size (and to a lesser extent, aspect ratio). A 1280x720p monitor that's 34 inches isn't going to have a tiny/difficult to read chat box after the widescreen change, but a 13 inch screen running a higher resolution - say 2880x1920 - is. 

Polling what size monitors people use shouldn't be an issue, as they'd be volunteering that info in said poll. I don't think things like a hardware survey would show monitor size, so a poll would likely be the only way to get this information anyway.

I dont hate it. But I dont like it. I think as previous comments have made, it could advantage different type and amounts of screens, etc. And I believe that for not hyperdyper super IT-knowledge-people (like myself), it could make it more difficult? I might JUST be speaking for myself though, and I am known to like things to be as-it-was. It messes with my head. Although.. Autumn DOES look skinnier... 

• Like 2
  • bap 3

The viewport being wider makes it easier to shot horizontally, to explore space vertically, to fight lavaland monsters horizontally, to chase criminals horizontally...
It is inconsistent that the characters are able to see further away in east/west direction than north/south directions.
It doesn't feel alright.

In my 3440x1440 monitor the game looks fine, but everything on the right side is too small in a 1920x1080 monitor (like my laptop's), at least for my taste since I like a wide chat box.

I think its best to leave it a square.

• Like 5

I am throwing in my feedback, I personally have 250+ hours in security officer and I enjoy playing combative roles. I find that this change has made it difficult to read chat on the fly and has made me ignore it for the most part. Two extra tiles aren't THAT much but they can make a world of difference IN some fights and I would rather not win a fight because I have a larger monitor then another player. I am against the forced addition of this to paradise station but it is interesting to see how this will keep developing. 

• Like 4

Yeah I fucking love Widescreen, genuinely really amazing to play Para in a screen that isn't a constipated box. Don't really have any issues with it personally, I play the game just fine and the only thing I can really say off the top of my head is add a fullscreen mode, otherwise good shit AA. 👍

• Like 5

Not a fan. Different vertical/horizontal vision range is a HUGE immersion break for me (yes, seriously), not do I like the tactical implications of a preferred direction.
Besides, the screen space was already used by the chat. With widescreen I either have to strain my eyes to look at the game, or stretch the game and strain my eyes to read chat.

• Like 1

I like the wide screen feature. The smaller chat window is not really that big a deal, and the larger viewport feels like opening my eyes for the first time and seeing ss13 in all its glory. 

• 3 weeks later...

i've been having an unusual amount of FPS lag since widescreen was added

it's not present on other servers and my BYOND is fully up to date, not sure why i would be lagging though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use