Hijacker sop or spacelaw update.

robveelben

So I had an debate over hijackers and the general crime of it in help chat on discord and also noticed there was no specific sop or space law in regard to it.

Some considered it as grand theft, grand sabotage or mutiny while marm stated it should be seen as grand theft in their opinion I still think it is for the best in the future to have some more direct statement on the matter in the forms to which it should considered as so in the future we will not have this matter brought up again.

Hijacking is an action, not really a “crime”.

Most hijackers attempt this by either Murdering people (so Murder under Space Law) or by holding the Shuttle Bridge (Major Trespass) with their various traitor items (Contraband Charge) which would make them an EoC.

This is splitting hairs over a technicality and it’s a main reason why we absolutely loathe people rules/Law lawyering for cases that by the SPIRIT (and frankly, the Letter) of the Law are absolutely and obviously illegal.

• Thanks 1

By definitation all crimes are actions which in response to the outcome of those actions are considered crimes. In many law books in real life hijacking is an crime for many logical reasons and this suggestion is about placing that in a more defined way as it can be considered open to interpertation where you would put the action of hijacking in law of paradise. 

Right now after debating it on discord I agree with that manner but I think it is still not very clear as this is just an suggestion it is not like it has to be applied.

Hijacking is just a specific action that can be done involving committing other crimes.  For example, if a criminal robs a bank there's not a "Robbed a bank law" (probably).  He's going to be charged with the crimes he committed in doing that action.  If he shot and killed people he's going to be charged with murder, if he stole 10k he's going to be charged with theft over $10k, etc.  He's not charged with "Robbed bank", he's charged for all the components and crimes he committed while carrying out that action.

For hijack, you are often charging them for the crimes they commit in order to hijack the shuttle.  If we want to have a hypothetical situation where we want to know what CC would charge them with for stealing the shuttle itself it would likely be Grand Theft, however there's not a case where someone could have stolen the shuttle during a normal round and then been charged with it since the shuttle being called and docking ends the round and if they successfully hijacked the shuttle then there's nobody with them to arrest them so it's moot.

Edited by Rythen

We may go a bit of topic to where my original intent is what I was suggesting is making an more clear way in how we should deal with hijackers. Like

* Is it okay to always kill an hijacker

* When should we kill an hijacker

* How should the crew react to an hijacker

* When and which laws should apply when it comes to dnr an hijacker

These kind of questions is mostly context based and having hijack added to an specific law would be one way of solving most of it. Otherwise having specific emergency sop in regard to it can work aswel.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use