No lawyer?

Winterherr

I just found out that the laywer got replaced with the Internal affairs manager. Im confused on why paradise doesnt have the lawyer. Was it never here in the first place or did it get removed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winterherr said:

I just found out that the laywer got replaced with the Internal affairs manager. Im confused on why paradise doesnt have the lawyer. Was it never here in the first place or did it get removed?

So the Internal Affairs Agent is sort of a lawyer but not quite. They're more concerned with upholding NanoTrasen standard operating proceedure and sometimes Space Law. They can put a case for a prisoner forward to security but they are under no obligations to listen to them, and if the IAA is being disruptive, they can be blacklisted from the brig. Generally, Space Law concerns fall under the domain of the Magistrate.

IAAs do generally serve as lawyers. When not taking the initiative around the station to ensure departmental SOPs are being followed within reason, they do act as case advocates for people brigged improperly or facing security abuse. I wasn't aware there was a lawyer role, it's been IAA ever since I started playing here years ago, and the codebases I played prior otherwise didn't have anything resembling either.

Working in tandem with a Magistrate, which is kind of Lawyer/Judge combination who carries actual enforcement authority over the security division, they form the station's full legal team.

3 hours ago, Landerlow said:

We used to have a lawyer role/alt title for the IAA quite some time ago. I'm not sure why it got removed though. 

propably to avoid asshats harrasing security over every single minor crime/arrest

8 hours ago, procdrone said:

propably to avoid asshats harrasing security over every single minor crime/arrest

That is in fact what would happen, IAAs who take it on themselves to be an antagonist to sec rather than an oversight, nevermind going through SoP for any other part of the station

• 8 months later...

Wish we had something like a lawyer. I cannot say that I have EVER seen an actual hearing. Usually when sec nabs a baddy, theres a short meeting with the HOS and then straight into a cell/perma. 

99% of all crimes on station don't really need a trial. The few that do there's no time for one because of other issues.

Lawyers and trials just aren't a good regular fit for Spacestation 13.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use