ID Laws

Biolock

Hello everyone, I just got back into SS13 a week ago, and I've been looking into playing magistrate. it's been a long time since I have posted on these forums, but as I have been studying Paradises' Space Law I have found no regulations or laws regarding Identification Cards specifically. I understand an ID can be covered under any degree of theft, and that not wearing an ID can constitute "suspicious activity" for blue alert and beyond, but there are no laws directly tied to the proper display of identification. My suggestion is simple, either add a law that makes failure to properly display ID a crime in core space law, or add a clause in the blue alert and red alert SOP that makes it fall under one of the pre-existing laws to not display ID. I don't think the law should carry a very hefty punishment (since it could be considered, at its most exaggerated, creating a "workplace hazard") but I think there should be a specific law associated with this facet of corporate life.

Most companies make it mandatory to display identification cards while on company property, NanoTrasen should not, and would not, be any different.

its very simple.

Refusing a legal security order during code red is considered workplace hazard.

What are legal orders though? They are all the orders that do not constitute a crime. so a officer cannot order you to steal something or to kill someone, but they can order you to leave an area, etc etd.

THAT includes failure to display the ID. so just slap all people that refuse with workplace hazard.

Yea, im fairly certain that once it hits red alert, failure to display is easily counted as a 2-00 offence, though a little note in the law would be nice to make this more clear

I tend to follow the rule of "I can REQUEST they show ID, but they dont have to WEAR it". Refusing to show ID at all, however, would be a 200 - Workplace Hazard.

Aye, there are a lot of ways different laws can be bent to compensate for the lack of concrete ID regulations, but that is what this suggestion is meant to address. Laws are always going to be subject to interpretation. 

As someone who's pretty annoyed by dumb tiding, I'm all for it being charged, but really trying to wrangle tiders during a hectic code red is going to tax security more than just ignoring them. If you're faffing around in maints dressed like a PMC with no ID on and we can't tell who you are, and you get snitty when asked, I'm dragging you to the brig, but bridge hoboing without an ID I couldn't care less about.

There's a lot on station that people do that's illegal, but if we tried to brig everyone for it, there'd be riots and pull requests galore.

I totally agree with that Sonador. The law is mostly just to address the awkward situations in which a masked figure it standing somewhere shady and an officer wants to ID them. There should be some law allowing officers to force identification.

but literally, it already does. You're a sec officer. you walk up to any non ID wearing person, tell them to show ID. they do not - you can arrest them for 200 Hazard.

then you can check their ID during a search.

Keyword. CAN, MAY. its YOUR choice. you dont have to arrest bridge hobos.

Edited by procdrone

Code 200 Hazard:
"Examples of this crime involve accidental plasma leaks, slipping hazards, accidentally shocking doors, breaking windows to space, or Security personnel not keeping their equipment secure. A banana peel in the corridor is not a hazard. A banana peel in front of the singularity is. "

Not wearing an ID would look out of place among those examples. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not really, not based on Code Red SOP. I'm not disagreeing that something couldn't be added to Space Law to really drive it home that security can arrest you for this, but SOP is already quite clear on it and many other things not listed under those examples being arrestable offenses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use