Playtime ss13

Trekkie27

Hey guys!
Im just curious here. Im one of the old players of Paradise, i've been here since October 2014.. which is 8 years ago now. How long have you people been playing? And what keeps you here! Would be lovely to hear stories about how long and why people keep playing on this server.

Would also be real fun if there are any people from 2014-2016 that still plays the game and also has trips down memory lane sometimes.. I remember how i pinged people on Byond and exchanged skypenames, because Discord wasnt a big thing back then yet. Incredible how time flies.

Have a lovely weekend

/Autumn

• Like 4

I've been playing since 2016. So that's 6 years for me.
Although I've created Byond accound since 2015, one of my friend who introduced me Dwarf Fortress in 2014 invited me to try out Space Station 13 considering he noticed my interest in DF over a year nerding about it. Then I haven't tried to play again until 2016 and Paradise was just there on one of top list.

What keeps me still playing SS13 is mostly because I do enjoy what the game intent to be "You do your job with other players and don't die".

I do REALLY enjoy games that involve Team-Role with other players and there's just so many jobs to pick regarding of how useful and useless each are. SS13 being the Roleplay game with complexity of controls, your character's needs to survive, combat, chemistry and atmospheric system all mixed up together violently in a dying-looking pixel engine game. I loved it.

Paradise to me would be the only stable M-RP server that I can handle than all the servers out there. With High-Pop and English speaking server visible on Hub still living today and not really dying out. I did tried TG but I didn't got far as how fast-paced it was.

What else that keeps me playing more still today would be the Detective job. I got inspired to play as the Detective when during my first time playing in 2015, my friend got brutally murdered in Maintenance. Then a Detective came to the scene, drag my friend's headless body out and draw a large line with Security Tape to secure the area (We don't use that anymore but those were f u n to use). The Detective then start asking around and I told him the victim was my friend, then he pull me along into the Brig for more interrogation and it was super cool.
Fast forward to 2016, I've been playing as Roboticist for a bit to get my bearing of the game and Roboticist became my first job that I learnt along until I got comfy with the control and Roleplay nature of SS13.
When I finally try out Detective job for first I just cannot get enough of fun. And it went on from there and still today. And whenever I try out other server, Detective job would be my first pick.
There were good times and bad times. Some players appreciate the way I RP and Playstyle. Some don't. Sometimes I got myself too far and make mistakes OOC-wise. Making friends along the way each rounds and few became my meta-buddy ever since. I appreciate who played Kennard Rose so much as two Detective mains.

image.png.40244856e77c37415c87940769982d74.png (This was when I tried out BayStation for first few rounds when they still used BoxStation.)

Although I don't have much of clear stories of each rounds I've played over the years. I still have some screenshots left where I most likely kept for good time footages.

I still remember how I decided to make my character, Guthen, officially adopted to Cowboy styles when I found a cowboy hat and a coat on the floor. That'd be some times around 2017.

I do say, I miss the old people I've met along the lines playing on Para during my first three years. Very few I keep on contract Online-IRL-wise. There were a lot of times where I do get my Boomer moments to stop and having flashbacks whenever I remembered some iconic memories. When I RP with people I do enjoy being around, When I greentext'd, When I had my gaming moment and When I get admeme'd. And so on.

Time sure flies indeed.

• Like 3

According to discord I joined para around april 2017. I literally have no recollection of why I even started playin ss13, I remember tho I started playin on yogstation and then moved to paradise just bcs it was on the top of the server list.

I had like 1.5 year break due to bullshit that happened on my university next year hopefully I'll get major degree and be forever done with studying but that's beside the point. I started playin as med doc as a human (named Christopher Moonsailor I think?), and moved to IPC Q.U.A.R.K. and M.A.N.T.I.S. (Mantis started my connection to bug races). Then I started playin Xann, Worker of Clan Zxiax (way before the PR that allowed them to wear glasses, I was then literally 1 of 2 active kidan players lol) and recently Machinist of the Milkyway. During this time I tried:
- TG: too shitposty for my taste
- CM: I am bad at combat lmao
- various fallout servers: which I dropped bcs of shitty admins or them allowing ERP which is still my big no-no
- some polish servers that were basically dead
- Bay: which I actually really liked, my strongest memory from ss13 is from bay actually when Miraviel and another guy (that was admin there) made me as roboticist shot a vox with a sleeping syringe as I piloted med mech. The problem was that when I learned engineering almost every round I was teaching new people engineering without me knowing any advanced stuff (due to a low pop) which made me tired quite quickly tbh

I made some good stories on para from me recontaining sabotaged tesla, to helping Normalyman change his character race ICly. That's what kept me goin, just getting to know new people, interacting with them and just having fun and messing around. In my IRL friend server on discord I'm still posting ss13 stuff there :').

And after a break here I am. What kept me playin before the 1.5 year break was people I knew. Most of them quit the game sadly. I don't know current playerbase that much due to me not playing as much as before. Work and studing take a LOT of your time... (and a lot of my free time goes into prepping starfinder campaign I run) I actually hope to get to know people that play para now more.

My memory fails me and I cannot remember stuff from before my break that much. Been some time

• Like 2

February 2014 was when I joined Para. Then I tried to leave, but I was locked in the dungeon and if you're reading this help I want ou-

• Like 1
  • stunbaton 1
  • Salt 1
  • bap 3
  • derp 1

Hey oldies!

My interest in Paradise has gone up and down but totally, I've racked up 620 hours since December 2019. A friend introduced me to SS13 and we played on TG servers from time to time. Kinda lost contact with him but I still had an interest in the game and well, Paradise was the most popular server at the time.

At first I just enjoyed the mechanics of the game and wanted to be an engineer. I loved the absolute chaos some rounds could give. But the reason why I still play is probably roleplay and gimmicks. The game is just such a niché and although there is a lot of room for improvement, it is a breath of fresh air playing this hellish table-top-like game with 80 space wackos.

My first character was Theodor Dryfus, just a random cargo dude trying his best in this weirld world. I didn't put much effort at the character, I think he was a smuggler from Mars or something. Fast forward to 2020 and I created my most well known character Jim Tate. At first he was very unpolished. I was like, an old unhinged SolGov veteran seems fun I guess? But I kinda couldn't let go and gradually improved on him over the past two years to something I am fairly proud of. Some dislike my style of RP but heck, I've befriended many along the way and a few OOCly. I'm content.

I've had many interesting rounds over the years, but here are some memorable ones. One round I converted the abandoned office and opened Jim's Gentleman and Lady shop, for all your classy needs. Everyone would get top-notch service, trying out the latest fashion in a dressing room and once an outfit is perfected, they would get a picture hanged up marking their status as a proper gentleman/lady. It actually got pretty cramped at one point with a queue of customers outside, and even the captain and his blueshields showed up before a meeting with the NT rep.

GentlemanShop.png.130cf7ed57c8da6eff934707bd528575.png   Screenshot of my shop setup, the duct-taped images are of all proud customers.

Another round, me and a space bud had a great time at the mechanic's workshop until a blob took over the station. In panic we crash landed our space pod at an USSP station, forcing Jim to his bitter past once more. We had no weapons. Through the dizzying corridors we ran from the shooting soldiers and managed to barricade ourselves at the geneticist. We tried to contact NT but to no avail. It ended in tradegy since Jim's friend bleed out on the cold metal floor, somewhat resembling how he lost his best friend in the marine corps... It was quite, dramatic. And of course there are many other stories, but this is getting a bit long.

It sure is a trip down the memory lane.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t really call myself an old player despite being here since 2016, largely due to the sheer number of bans (including an entire year one), as well as a 6 month break in 2019.

As for why am I still here, it gives me something to do as a hobby that doesn’t need astronomical time devotion, but I can still feel like I am making a difference hosting wise. It’s no secret I am right in the burnout phase given my lack of existence ingame, but hey the lights are still on so I’m calling that a job well done.

• Like 3

Probably one of the newer players here, but I've grabbed just under 1,200 crew hours, and over 7,200 discord messages since March 2021. This isn't alot compared to some people, but I still need to touch grass.

Dont have many interesting stories, cos I'm a boring person!

I'm still here because, as previously mentioned, I have no life.
Yea.

I TECHNICALLY started playing back in October of 2013 but I played immensely less than I do now. Took a massive break between 2015 and 2019ish, with a tiny bit of playing every once in a while on a few servers.

I have this weird cursed recollection of old Paradise things (the old website's text chat on the homepage, for one). But, honestly, I've found a fun community of people to play with and as always, the people are what make me come back to Para pretty much exclusively more than anything else the server has.

• Like 1

I’m essentially a baby. I only started playing in 2021, in the later half of the year. I think I have a few hundred years back of play time. Iv spoken to a lot of older players, made a few friends, even of some of the older players 

While my account was made sometimes around 2014-2016, that time period was essentially me playing about 4 rounds total and not really doing much of anything before shelving the game and coming back to properly begin playing it in 2018.

I first heard about SS13 from someone in EVE Online, a game I played a huge amount of from around 2011-2018. I tried it but ultimately stuck with EVE until 2018, where I quit both due to the group I was part of disbanding and the game in general going into a decline (which still seems to be the case, sadly). I suddenly remembered SS13 some months later and decided to just hop into paradise since it was at the top of the BYOND server list at the time. The earliest round I remember playing during this time involved an admin setting up a lava rage cage in the bar and me just sitting and watching as player after player entered it and left completely roasted, after that I was hooked!

I was playing pretty consistently until around the end of 2020, where I started getting burnout from everything SS13 related and took a long hiatus until only last month where I've finally come back to the game again and have been enjoying the many changes since I left to the maps and combat. I stick with Paradise over other servers mainly because of the people we have on the server, both players and staff - though I have played a fair amount on Goon's servers and a little on TG. Because don't forget - you're here forever...

• Like 2

I first joined the server on March 23rd, 2017. Had no idea what I was doing, I started out as janitor. Became a regular, started to recognise people, and people started to recognise me (my character, in any case). Eventually I joined the mentor team. Then became an admin and after some time took on the role of community manager.

It is now 2022, almost 2023.

My character's main job (Alfred's) is still, after all these years, janitor. And sometimes captan/other roles. But mostly janitor. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:11 AM, Spacemanspark said:

February 2014 was when I joined Para. Then I tried to leave, but I was locked in the dungeon and if you're reading this help I want ou-

You dont want out. You tried. You failed. You're here. And YOU ARE happy here... stop fighting the machine!!! 

image.png.3bf962f8668dfd91faa7f414b593c68e.png

At the urging of a friend, I first tried SS13 over 11 years ago, back when Goon was king and two years before Paradise existed. I don't remember much about the time except:

1. The lag was fucking awful, and a framerate in the teens (or lower!) was commonplace
  2. The community was much rougher around the edges, probably due to all of us being immature teens

I couldn't stomach the sluggish gameplay and awful controls (much worse than modern hotkey mode, for sure), so I disappointed my friend by dropping the game.

As years went by, I'd occasionally see Youtube videos of people playing SS13 and having great fun, and pop back in, only to become alienated again. Most times, I'd pop into whatever server was at the top of the browser, fumble about, punch myself, break light fixtures with a toolbox, then quit out of boredom. It was only around 2019 that something finally clicked, and I was able to play out full rounds without losing interest. I mostly played on Fulp for 2019 and a chunk of 2020 before migrating to Paradise, which has been my main server ever since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloPerfecto said:

image.png.3bf962f8668dfd91faa7f414b593c68e.png

At the urging of a friend, I first tried SS13 over 11 years ago, back when Goon was king and two years before Paradise existed. I don't remember much about the time except:

1. The lag was fucking awful, and a framerate in the teens (or lower!) was commonplace
  2. The community was much rougher around the edges, probably due to all of us being immature teens

I couldn't stomach the sluggish gameplay and awful controls (much worse than modern hotkey mode, for sure), so I disappointed my friend by dropping the game.

As years went by, I'd occasionally see Youtube videos of people playing SS13 and having great fun, and pop back in, only to become alienated again. Most times, I'd pop into whatever server was at the top of the browser, fumble about, punch myself, break light fixtures with a toolbox, then quit out of boredom. It was only around 2019 that something finally clicked, and I was able to play out full rounds without losing interest. I mostly played on Fulp for 2019 and a chunk of 2020 before migrating to Paradise, which has been my main server ever since.

11 years?!? You may be one of the oldest players here, I bow to thee majesty  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use