Ending round if mid round blob reaches x number of tiles.

WingedYordle

Throwing this out here. Is there a way the round ends if mid blob gets way to big, like as big as blob round? The game gets unplayable after it reaches to certain point. My FPS was gone with 5300ms.

Yes I understand that this is mid round event and having this could ruin the main round but I feel like this is needed and if antags/crew can’t work together to kill blob, then it’s a well deserved red text as blob wins. If not I’d ask we remove it from the mid round spawn.

Im kind of against any change that makes more antag types the sudden "End" type, there is little else that exists that is more unsatisfying than to go through hell and back, only to have the end screen pop up with a "End" No epic final showdown, no dareing escapes, no horrifying slaughter, just "End"

This is true for round start blobs, wizards and our dearly departed shadowling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WingedYordle said:

Honestly thought more people would voice in

Dont we all :/

If it's performance issues I guess you need to get reports from other people as well, perhaps your computer is especially stunted. Also when I still played in my garbage small laptop, blob rounds never really seemed to be much of an issue performance wise.

Edited by Aligote

If this lag was experienced during a round yesterday where the blob pretty much covered the entire station, I can vouch for the lag and frame drops being unplayable - to the point where I was getting 1 frame a second. I know others were also experiencing similar issues trying to play. However, I think there was something more going on in that round which caused this since ever before the blob appeared I was getting a jumpy framerate trying to move around and from other experiences I've had with blobs reaching a similar size it never caused the same issues for me as last night.

Honestly I don't think this is a great idea. One of the main issue that people have with roundstart blob is how quickly it ends without any buildup/real tension, and extending that to midround blob will certainly be unpopular. The system roundstart blob uses is also known to be buggy, with rounds often ending much sooner than intended. 

The only times that I've had serious issues with midround blob is when a round that should have ended a significant time ago continues, which is more of an issue of a round being kept going for no reason. 

Clearing your byond cache often will help reduce lag, and disable your onedrive if you haven't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AzuleUtama said:

If this lag was experienced during a round yesterday where the blob pretty much covered the entire station, I can vouch for the lag and frame drops being unplayable - to the point where I was getting 1 frame a second. I know others were also experiencing similar issues trying to play. However, I think there was something more going on in that round which caused this since ever before the blob appeared I was getting a jumpy framerate trying to move around and from other experiences I've had with blobs reaching a similar size it never caused the same issues for me as last night.

This was.

this honestly should be a thing, especally when the blob renders the station unsurvivable via normal means and over 100% irrecoverable, I remember one cult round where a blob grew so massive it not only lagged the server it also somehow managed to outgrow a team of 6 DS including myself as one member and an SOO shooting it at once and it just speedrun style nyroom at our nuke and destroyed it despite taking direct hits, so the admins that round had to just, force instant-explode the station.

also if the station hasn't even got any areas left safe from the blob, what's the point in even keeping the round going anyway, while DS can be fun, I think blobs should have a failsafe. maybe to make it a bit more fun, have a team of DS autospawn and have to arm and defend the nuke before X time where the blob just consumes the station TG-style. but yeah, easier said than coded...

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 8:33 PM, WingedYordle said:

Throwing this out here. Is there a way the round ends if mid blob gets way to big, like as big as blob round? The game gets unplayable after it reaches to certain point. My FPS was gone with 5300ms.

Yes I understand that this is mid round event and having this could ruin the main round but I feel like this is needed and if antags/crew can’t work together to kill blob, then it’s a well deserved red text as blob wins. If not I’d ask we remove it from the mid round spawn.

Such situations usually call for admin intervention to end the round, either by the crew requesting it (nuclear codes) or us sending in the deathsquad.

Normally, it should be the captain's responsibility to secure and, if necessary, use the nuke when a biohazard takes over, but this is not done much lately. Not sure it is because the nuke doesn't feel like a "win", if command is not aware how to call the codes, or because - and I think this is the most prominent factor -, people just don't know how big the actual blob is.

Code-wise, we could announce it if a biohazard grew to a certain point, which would give everyone a very clear indication of how bad things are. A bioscan of sorts, similar to how cult gets halos after converting enough people. That would (hopefully) push command to step up and act before the server grinds to a halt.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use